Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Thoughts on adding additional mics?  (Read 4330 times)

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • it's recreational
Thoughts on adding additional mics?
« on: November 20, 2003, 06:14:42 AM »
I'm thinking of adding another mic (or two) to the pair of TL-51's that I use via the RCA inputs in the back of the UA-5.  I have some AT transistors and PS-1's to power whatever I use, but I'm trying to decide if it would be best to add a similar mic, like another TL-51, or try a different brand of mic altogether.  I'm thinking of basically just adding one mic and run it mono to both channels as a center mic and use the other two as I normally would, like DIN or ORTF.

I've seen mentioned that when assembling a surround sound stereo system it can sometimes be bad if the front speakers have a different timbre than the rear ones, so I'm guessing it would hold true for recording microphones as well.  On the other hand, I could see how a different brand of mics might be able to compliment the mics I have now if they are particularly strong in an area where mine are not.

Anyone care to comment?

thanks,
Drew

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
Re:Thoughts on adding additional mics?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2003, 10:59:16 AM »
what are you trying to accomplish by adding mics?  is there something about your current setup you don't like or think is missing?
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Tascam DR-70D / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2003, 11:12:01 AM »
Well, I'm going to try this out real soon. I'll post the results.

480's / single ADK TL > Warm UA-5
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline sexymexi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2003, 03:12:25 PM »
different mics and whatnot have different styles of sounds i guess you could say, but yes, its nice to have 2 that are the same for a more identical stereo phasing, but i've seen people on here runnin 3 mic mixes, i've done shows with different mics just to see how it works.. it didn't sound bad, but could have been better..

matt
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • it's recreational
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2003, 07:16:17 PM »
what are you trying to accomplish by adding mics?  is there something about your current setup you don't like or think is missing?

Well, I'm pretty happy w/ my current setup now.  Just want to try it and see how it sounds.  I do like the bottom end of most AKG mics so I might throw one of those in the mix.  

Drew

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2003, 09:06:51 PM »
I think Drew is just a bit jealous of my 4 mic rig. Come on now, admit it Drew.  :P

In all seriousness. Drew, don't you still own those km184's? You might experiment with those. One thing to remember is I run two omni's and two cards. I really don't know if I would run 4 cards just for the sake of running 4 mics. You do have to worry somewhat about phasing and thus you need to really monitor your output of the mixer/pre-amp and/or the input into your recording device. One night we should get together and I'll let you borrow my 4 channel mixer and we can play around with it. Just give me a shout.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2003, 04:15:10 AM »
when i had my gefell m300s (fixed cards) i ran a nak cm300 omni with them, mixed in through the back through the rca's on my wmod ua5

sounded great,a nd helped out so much on those shitty venues/rooms

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • it's recreational
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2003, 06:17:20 AM »
I think Drew is just a bit jealous of my 4 mic rig. Come on now, admit it Drew.  :P

Wayne

Yup, Wayne, I wanna be just like you and stay till about 4am breaking my equipment down.  Who needs to go to the after-party anyhow?  ;)

Seriously, I might just pick up another TL-51 and play around w/ a 3-mic configuration.  Maybe something like hypers ran really wide w/ an omni in the middle.  Or perhaps something really bizarre like an omni/jeklin disk combo w/ a hyper in the middle.  I dunno.  BTW, I got rid of the 184's when I realized that, to me anyway, the TL's blow them out of the water for about half the price.  ;D  I'll shout at ya soon.

Drew

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com