Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: advice for recording with multiple microphones?  (Read 2099 times)

Offline faninor

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
advice for recording with multiple microphones?
« on: May 18, 2007, 09:06:08 PM »
I would like to record with Core Sound Binaurals and Core Sound Cardioids simultaneously on a single minidisc recorder.

When I'm using the line-in and a single set of microphones with my minidisc, I've never had to worry about the recording conditions being too loud and causing brickwalling... usually my recordings stay over 6 dB away from clipping so if I had a way of mixing the signals from each microphone, clipping still wouldn't be a problem.

I searched around online for some sort of small portable mixing device with two minijack inputs but couldn't find anything. However, a much cheaper solution may be a simple splitter like this:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=1221&doy=18m5&C=SO&U=strat15

But I don't know a whole lot about electronic audio signals so I'm not sure if plugging two microphones into this splitter would have the same result as taking the waveform of each recording and simply adding them together. Would using a splitter like that potentially cause other problems with the recording?

I use the line in on the minidisc recorder and the microphones are powered by their own battery boxes, so there won't be an issue with phantom power being shared between the two microphones.

edit: whoops, I found a thread talking about this already... if any moderators are out there, feel free to delete this thread.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 09:09:05 PM by faninor »

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: advice for recording with multiple microphones?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 03:19:06 PM »
and the thread is?
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline faninor

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 05:49:34 PM »
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,83598.0.html

I'm going to just try this out with my microphones during an opening band when I won't care if I ruin the recording and see how it turns out.

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 08:16:21 PM »
Hey, let us know what happened.  I would be interested as I have an RH1.  Thanks.     8)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline faninor

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 04:50:08 PM »
Hey, let us know what happened.  I would be interested as I have an RH1.  Thanks.     8)
Upon listening, I think it sounded fine for mixing together my CSC and CSB microphones. This was just listening straight off the minidisc with crappy earbuds... I will listen to it more thoroughly after I transfer it to from the minidisc (which won't be for a while). However, results will certainly vary with different microphones as suggested by SparkE! in that other thread.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com