Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mixlr users- Do you run their app on a laptop or just on your phone?  (Read 2785 times)

Offline billydee

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
I'm thinking of giving Mixlr a try soon, they have a 14 day free trial. It's for a three day fest I stream every year in CO.  https://rhythmsontherio.com/

Up until now I used the free Ustream service which worked fine for me on a laptop. I ran Adobe Live Media Encoder as the app/interface for it, and the fest gives me a hard wired internet connection for the weekend, so connectivity is not an issue. But, the free Ustream service goes away a couple days before I need it this year.

Anyhow, just looking for any thoughts on using the Mixlr app on a laptop or PC, and the service in general.
Thanks

Offline larrysellers

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Qualified
Re: Mixlr users- Do you run their app on a laptop or just on your phone?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 10:51:05 AM »
Hey Bill. You should talk to Edtyre, he is a pro at this.

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 10:58:03 AM »
I've been using mixlr to stream for four years, both via phone and laptop. I used ustream for roughly a year before that. I have a Pro legacy account. The desktop app allows for higher quality streams. Laptops are a lot more inconvenient size and power wise, however, so I normally stick with a phone )actually an ipad). I originally started with a phone and zoom microphone but these days I normally use a Mixpre-6 > sonicport > iPad....   What specifically are you interested in information wise?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 11:00:20 AM by rippleish20 »
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline billydee

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 11:11:31 AM »
I've been suing mixlr to stream for four years, both via phone and laptop. The desktop app allows for higher quality streams. Laptops are a lot more inconvenient size and power wise, however, so I normally stick with a phone )actually an ipad). I origianlly started with a phone and zoom microphone but these days I normally use a Mixpre-6 > sonicport > iPad....   What specifically are you interested in information wise?
I'm wondering if I need any other software after I download the Mixlr app, something like the Adobe product I mentioned. And am just wanting to know if folks are happy with the service in general. Is it worth the money they pay for it, etc.

I'll definitely use a laptop, since space and power are not an issue. I'll have my own pop-up, table chairs etc. setup next to the soundboard tent for the fest. I've been using the line out from my Tascam DR-60 or DR-70 as the input to the stream. Which is a roughly 50/50 sbd/aud mix.

Offline rippleish20

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 11:29:05 AM »
I've been suing mixlr to stream for four years, both via phone and laptop. The desktop app allows for higher quality streams. Laptops are a lot more inconvenient size and power wise, however, so I normally stick with a phone )actually an ipad). I origianlly started with a phone and zoom microphone but these days I normally use a Mixpre-6 > sonicport > iPad....   What specifically are you interested in information wise?
I'm wondering if I need any other software after I download the Mixlr app, something like the Adobe product I mentioned. And am just wanting to know if folks are happy with the service in general. Is it worth the money they pay for it, etc.

I'll definitely use a laptop, since space and power are not an issue. I'll have my own pop-up, table chairs etc. setup next to the soundboard tent for the fest. I've been using the line out from my Tascam DR-60 or DR-70 as the input to the stream. Which is a roughly 50/50 sbd/aud mix.

You don't need any other software. I used an external USB based A/D audio interface to go from deck to laptop (a focusrite) although at this point I would use the Mixpre as an audio interface and connect the laptop via USB. I have had no issues with the service itself - ie no service outages etc. I've been paying for it over three years and never regretted it. Streaming via laptop is superior as long as you have the space and power, etc... Mixlr records to the device before streaming it so you will also end up with a recording (MP3 quality) on the laptop too... they seem like a reasonable company, as they have continued to grandfather me in under the plan I signed up for (which is a lower cost version of the Pro plan)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 11:34:13 AM by rippleish20 »
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3

Offline billydee

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 11:41:17 AM »

You don't need any other software. I used an external USB based A/D audio interface to go from deck to laptop (a focusrite) although at this point I would use the Mixpre as an audio interface and connect the laptop via USB. I have had no issues with the service itself - ie no service outages etc. I've been paying for it over three years and never regretted it. Streaming via laptop is superior as long as you have the space and power, etc... Mixlr records to the device before streaming it so you will also end up with a recording (MP3 quality) on the laptop too... they seem like a reasonable company, as they have continued to grandfather me in under the plan I signed up for (which is a lower cost version of the Pro plan)
Thanks for all the input, very helpful. I'll give their 14 day trial Premium Plus plan a whirl as it gives 12 hours a day of streaming.
I'll need to be able to stream about 5 hours one day, 11-12 hours the next and 6-7 hours on the last day.

Offline rippleish20

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2018, 11:48:58 AM »

Thanks for all the input, very helpful. I'll give their 14 day trial Premium Plus plan a whirl as it gives 12 hours a day of streaming.
I'll need to be able to stream about 5 hours one day, 11-12 hours the next and 6-7 hours on the last day.

The plan I am grandfathered into allows for streaming 24 hours a day, but they have traditionally been very lax about enforcing the time restrictions (I am not aware of anyone being cut off period but your mileage may vary)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com