Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recording from front row...or close to?!  (Read 23822 times)

Offline furburger

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • UH-LASS-KUH
Re: Recording from front row...or close to?!
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2017, 04:39:07 AM »
all business during shows unless I'm doing patch-outs from a soundboard and things are running fine. Not a mic-stand taper myself (generally specialize in the wireless taping field) but would certainly do it if that yielded the best result at a particular show.

Sorry--misread your previous posts. Erroneously equated "taped with four decks" to "taped with four Tascam 2D internals". So you just place the decks and specific places around the venue and then pick up later, and then listen to the general best one?

I've gotten to placing the internals decks right onstage with low gain (levels between 88 and 92), which produces a pretty interesting sound (Kevn Kinney in '13 in Atlanta was like that, two decks on stage, then two more in the back of the room, one used with Sonics, the internals were very instrument heavy, whereas the back of the room had a pretty well-balanced sound). always wanted to try and run a matrix with those, possibly 4 channel, but figure that's something for my 60's....

have taped the Sonics to a balcony railing, to a back wall, to the vidcam tripod on a stick....every new venue creates a new set of challenges (for the video, vibration and rock shows is a huge issue)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 06:54:35 PM by Brian Skalinder »
-------------
people who are fans of the music, they LOVE what I document and capture...people who are fans of themselves....not so much.

Offline perks

• Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Recordings uploaded to TTD
« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2017, 11:31:10 AM »
Don't be embarrassed its 2017.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 06:54:54 PM by Brian Skalinder »
Mics: Schoeps MK5's, Schoeps MK41's, AT853's (C,SC,H,O), DPA 4061's
Preamps/converters: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), E.A.A. PSP-2 (x2) Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Naiant PiPsqueak, Church Ugly, Apogee Mini-Me, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony PCM-M10 (x2), Tascam DR-07, Marantz PMD-661, Sound Devices Mixpre-3

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2017, 04:29:00 PM »
all business during shows unless I'm doing patch-outs from a soundboard and things are running fine.

Almost all the tapers I know are all business during shows.  To each his or her own but if I am spending my time and money on taping a show I want more than "doesn't sound bad at all".
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 06:55:28 PM by Brian Skalinder »

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2017, 06:57:43 PM »
Furby and all -- I've removed the hook-up trash  and corresponding responses from the Technical Help section.  Feel free to re-post that schlock in the Sewer, if you wish, but do not re-post here.  Thanks.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2017, 07:06:22 PM »
thank you, Brian!

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2017, 09:07:06 PM »
+T Brian for taking out the trash and sweeping up.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com