Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Cable Burn-In Time?  (Read 6218 times)

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Retired Taper
New Cable Burn-In Time?
« on: August 20, 2004, 01:44:32 PM »
Anybody have anything to offer up on this subject?  I am going to be making my first pair of canare cables this weekend, and I am unsure about burn-in time.  I have seen a handfull of posts related to this, but nothing definitive.  Is it required/recommended?  What does it have to offer?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
Re: New Cable Burn-In Time?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2004, 02:35:50 PM »
It depends on the cable type and length.  The best thing is to do as Moke suggested and set them up with a source and load and let them run for a few weeks.  I've read reports that burn-in can take from 100h to 500h depending on alot of different factors.  I don't know what associated gear you run, but burn-in may not make a difference for you.

My personal experience is that I believe I have heard noticable burnin effects with my speaker cables (sound got smoother after a couple hundered hours) and power cords (bass got deeper and background quieter after about 75 hours) but less so with the interrconnects that I use.  ymmv 

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2004, 02:42:02 PM »
I am going with 20 ft canare star quad with neutrik silver xlr connectors. I suppose I will set them up with the UA-5 and let them run for a few days.  Thanks.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

Offline goose

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2004, 02:51:13 PM »
On another note gumbino, when you make the cables, the intended directionality of the cables is noted by the writing on the outer jacket.  Signal should flow through the writing from left to right, as you read the writing, as opposed to the other direction.  You may not notice a difference if done the other way, but that is the common practice.

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2004, 03:06:31 PM »
Good to know.  I don't remember reading that anywhere.  Thanks for the tip!

+T for tip

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2004, 10:01:46 AM »
as per speakerwire, 24-48 hours is good for basic break in time, but one can really see the effects of burn in after the cables get a few hundred hours of use in them.  same with any cable really

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2004, 01:54:03 PM »
+T's all around for the help.  Made my cables this weekend and have them burning in right now.  Thanks.

Offline Just Taper Mark from NC

• when the bass kicks..all I need is a mic and a stage and mix.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Dodgertown 90090
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2004, 04:55:30 PM »
so to burn in the cables  I would say.... hook them up to my v3 and power it up
and turn on the phantom but don't plug in the mics right?  ???
Positive vibration man.That's what makes it work.That's reggae music.You can't look away because it is real.You listen to what I sing because I mean what I sing,there's no secret,no big deal.,Just honesty,that's all."-Hon. Robert Nesta Marley 1977

Offline Tim

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2004, 09:51:16 PM »
I'd plug the mics in so that there's some current going through the cables...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2004, 09:47:11 AM »
I'd plug the mics in so that there's some current going through the cables...

Dito what he said.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2004, 08:26:27 PM »
I can't say I have ever heard a difference with "burning in" cables, but I'm a firm believer in burning in equipment. Amps, speakers, pre-amps etc... all sound better to me after about a week of burn in.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline dr.ph0b

• Local Crew
  • Taperssection Member
  • powpow!
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2004, 11:55:05 PM »
i bought this mac-daddy coax->rca digital cable and it came with a letter that read....
"OmniWire II will undergo gradual change over a period of about an hour when it is installed in your system. At a minimum, allow your system to play for 15 to 20 minutes before begining critical listening. The effects of the warm-up process are more obvious with Omniwire II simply because the ultimate noise-floor after the warm-up cycle is substancially lower and resolution is substantially greater - than with most other cables. This warm-up cycle will recur whwnever you first start playing "cold" components interconnected with Omniwire II, and whenever you remove and re-install the cable. (for this reason, quick A/B comparisons with other wires will NEVER reveal the full potential of Omniwire II)" 
sold :(  MK4v->KCY->Sonosax SX-M2/LS2->modSBM1->M1
m-s: mk8/mk4v

Offline leegeddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2004, 12:12:48 AM »
good reading about breaking in cables, etc.

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/audioprinciples/interconnects/Cable-Breakin.html

found these 2 to be humorous:

"So is cable break in just a ploy for getting people to keep the cables beyond the return period, or perhaps long enough that their desire to do anything about the lack of any improvement is gone?" - Paul F

Interestingly, the New Scientists recently commented on the London Heathrow Hi Fi Show, saying that among the cables selling for up to £30,000 for 6 metres, they found Quad demonstrating their latest speakers to great enthusiasm. The orange cable to the speakers looked oddly familiar. When asked about it, Tony Faulkner, the recording engineer demonstrating them (who'd used the speakers as monitors while recording Saint-Saen's complete works for piano & orchestra, Gramophone's Record of the Year), said of the cables:

"Yes, they would look familiar if you have a garden. Before the show opened we went over the road to the DIY superstore and bought one of those £20 extension leads that Black & Decker sells for electric hedge-cutters. They are made from good, thick copper wire, look nice and sound good to me. The show's been running for three days and no one in the audience has noticed..."  - New Scientist Magazine

marc
« Last Edit: September 01, 2004, 12:16:24 AM by leegeddy »
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline Tim

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2004, 12:28:24 AM »
there was an article in Absolute Sound sometime in the last few months about using Home Depot extension cord for speaker cable... it's supposed to sound great!
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

jpschust

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2004, 10:22:50 AM »
there was an article in Absolute Sound sometime in the last few months about using Home Depot extension cord for speaker cable... it's supposed to sound great!

when i get home i can scan or retype it- it is really really short.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.165 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com