Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: soundboard patching with JB3 - what cables needed?  (Read 6308 times)

Offline BuddyGoodness

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
soundboard patching with JB3 - what cables needed?
« on: August 02, 2005, 04:06:00 AM »
I am still so confused as to what all I need to tape off a soundboard with my njb3.  I am sorry but I am a moron, I don't understand what all this if or where to get it or even what to ask for if I went to say radioshack.  Could someone please explain what all this means in terms a foolish newbie like me could understand?

Option 1 - adapters + cable run

[2] RCA male | RCA male 6' cable run   <------  what are these and where can I get them?
[2] RCA female | RCA female barrel       <------  what are these and where can I get them?
[2] XLR female | RCA female adapter      <------  what are these and where can I get them?
[2] 1/4" female | RCA male adapter        <------  what are these and where can I get them?
2 x RCA female | 3.5mm stereo adapter     <------  what are these and where can I get them?

I am sorry if this is annoying I am trying to figure this stuff out.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2005, 04:08:24 AM by Brian Skalinder »

Ray76

Re: soundboard patching with JB3 - what cables needed?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2005, 04:38:59 AM »
I am still so confused as to what all I need to tape off a soundboard with my njb3.  I am sorry but I am a moron, I don't understand what all this if or where to get it or even what to ask for if I went to say radioshack.  Could someone please explain what all this means in terms a foolish newbie like me could understand?

[2] RCA male | RCA male 6' cable run   <------  what are these and where can I get them?
[2] RCA female | RCA female barrel       <------  what are these and where can I get them?
[2] XLR female | RCA female adapter      <------  what are these and where can I get them?
[2] 1/4" female | RCA male adapter        <------  what are these and where can I get them?
2 x RCA female | 3.5mm stereo adapter     <------  what are these and where can I get them?

I use a 3 ft. mini > mini cable
a 3 ft. mini > dual rca cable
a female mini > 2 male mini y-cable
2 mini > 1/4" plugs
2 1/4" > XLR transformers

you should be set with those.

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2005, 06:43:15 AM »
...where can I get them?

here
we all live downstream.

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 12:02:50 AM »
if you're in a pinch or want to save some scratch, go to radioshack.  but for a little more you'll get far better cables handmade by ed at kindkables, and support one of our own too!
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline momule

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2005, 08:42:27 AM »

I keep the following in my bag just for this use..

and last but not least dont forget the 1/4'' plugs
AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

Offline BuddyGoodness

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2005, 04:00:45 PM »
Thanks a lot, I appreciate the help.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2005, 06:49:26 PM »

wouldn't it just be easier to buy the right cable instead of adaptors and stuff?
dual XLR > 1/8
dual RCA > 1/8
dual 1/4 > 1/8
seems like with adaptors you have more to mess around with and a better chance of things going wrong
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2005, 06:54:22 PM »
wouldn't it just be easier to buy the right cable instead of adaptors and stuff?

Depends on one's perspective.  A single cable run + adapters means less to carry around, though more potential points of failure.  A cable run for each type of connector > 1/8" stereo - given that every time I've plugged or seen someone plugged into the board it's a ways away from the board's outputs, necessitating a good length of cable - means a bulkier / heavier gear bag, though fewer poitential failure points.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline jcrab66

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2005, 04:49:37 AM »

I keep the following in my bag just for this use..

and last but not least dont forget the 1/4'' plugs

looks like pretty much what i carry but I also always carry a large assortment of adapters to work off any of the cables because there are a hell of alot of different things I have run into when getting a patch. I also highly recommend a set of XLR gender changers for times when you wanna do some stage micing and the only thing available on the snake is a set of monitor returns.....
mk4's / mk41's > nbox > Microtracker / HDP2

Offline BuddyGoodness

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2005, 05:25:43 PM »
So far I have bought a -20 dB Attenuator Cable because I was told that soundboards can run hot.
A DUAL XLR FEMALE TO STEREO 1/8" MALE PLUG. 72 inches
STANDARD STEREO ADAPTER - DUAL RCA MALE TO 1/8" STEREO MALE - 36"
and 2 CBI RCA Female To 1/4-inch Male Connector

Is there anything else I would need?  I was told that male xlr adapters were pointless to get.  If I should get them though, lemme know and if possible give me a link to where I can buy them along with some details on what kind I need exactly.  I just spent 300$ for a njb3 and these cables so I plan on getting my moneys worth out of them and since very few bands let you do soundboard I will branch out into stealth recording once I figure all this stuff out.  Anyway, thanks for all your help everyone and if you have any more suggestions or advice lemme know.

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2005, 08:19:24 AM »
Definitely a good idea.  I nearly ran into a problem last week when i didn't have the right adapters to plug in but the board guy saved the day.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline BuddyGoodness

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2005, 03:53:24 PM »
A good idea about getting adapters?

Offline jcrab66

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2005, 02:37:17 PM »
So far I have bought a -20 dB Attenuator Cable because I was told that soundboards can run hot.

i regularly run board patches with the JB3 and have never used an attenuator, if the soundguy is cool enough to let you patch in the first place he probably is cool enough to let you take a look at what levels your feed is set at and adjust accordingly on the board.....

I just spent 300$ for a njb3

man, you should of bought one of mine for $150 ;)
mk4's / mk41's > nbox > Microtracker / HDP2

Ray76

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2005, 02:43:45 PM »

i regularly run board patches with the JB3 and have never used an attenuator, if the soundguy is cool enough to let you patch in the first place he probably is cool enough to let you take a look at what levels your feed is set at and adjust accordingly on the board.....

I just spent 300$ for a njb3

man, you should of bought one of mine for $150 ;)

He bought the jb3 from me. It wasnt 300 bucks. he was saying he spent 300 on the cables AND the jb3.

Offline BuddyGoodness

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2005, 01:54:26 AM »
Yeah 190 for the jb3 and another 110 on cables. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.12 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com