Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: burning in silver cables?  (Read 10734 times)

Offline kevin p

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
burning in silver cables?
« on: January 15, 2004, 12:33:38 AM »
There's a post on Oades about this. I am learning new stuff all the time and never heard of "breaking in" (burning in) a set of cables. I got some new Zaollas XLR>XLR, XLR>RCA in Dec. and wonder how I could break them in without having to actually use them at a show. Can anyone help me out? I'd appreciate any help!

jpschust

Re:burning in silver cables?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2004, 01:32:36 AM »
hook em up, let them run for a few hours.  normal burn in time is 24 hrs, but i feel like you could get away with a lot less.  its really not crucial, but there is some difference.  if you arent listening on a killer home system i highly doubt you will hear it, but by seeing your killer rig, you might :-)

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2004, 03:25:25 AM »
hook your gear up in front of your stereo, like you would actually set up at a show and let it run

jpschust

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2004, 12:37:34 PM »
you dont even have to hook it up in front of your stereo, throw the gain on your pre way up and just let it record ambient sounds.  doesnt really matter, you just wanna get some electricity passing through there.

ClevelandMike

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2004, 01:12:07 AM »
There's a post on Oades about this. I am learning new stuff all the time and never heard of "breaking in" (burning in) a set of cables. I got some new Zaollas XLR>XLR, XLR>RCA in Dec. and wonder how I could break them in without having to actually use them at a show. Can anyone help me out? I'd appreciate any help!

yes, wait until saturn and venus are in line with the sun, that'll help too.

Break In” is not a proven audible or measurable phenomenon. The perception of changes in sound quality with time is likely attributable to the classical placebo effect, i.e., a listener anticipating a possible audible difference is predisposed to hear one whether or not it exists. Note that Audioquest isn't the only exotic cable vendor that claims cables “Break In”. This is actually quite a popular myth touted by many other exotic cable vendors and cable forum cult hobbyists alike.

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/audioprinciples/interconnects/Cable-Breakin.html

jpschust

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2004, 02:29:22 PM »
Mike,  I've read all the things that say its a myth and all the things that say its not, however here's the thing that article doesn't account for.  by exposing the cables initially to current flow you basically begin the possability for good oxidation (note some cables oxidize better than others).  Listen, it's not gonna affect the sound THAT much, but oxidation does help or impede current flow based upon the material oxidizing.

ClevelandMike

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2004, 10:35:32 AM »
Mike,  I've read all the things that say its a myth and all the things that say its not, however here's the thing that article doesn't account for.  by exposing the cables initially to current flow you basically begin the possability for good oxidation (note some cables oxidize better than others).  Listen, it's not gonna affect the sound THAT much, but oxidation does help or impede current flow based upon the material oxidizing.

"burning in silver cables" the entire point of silver cables is that silver is less prone to oxidation, also that silver has less resistance,  higher impedence/better current flow. introducing current into the conductor will have no given effect on oxidation.

i may not know how to drive a stick shift, but i've been a phone man for years, i do know how conductors work.

2 factors *IF ANYTHING* that would have any effect is the difference in temperature. as the conductor temperature rises resistance drops, meaning more flow. a good example that uses this is a thermocouple in a furnace. the pilot goes out, the tc no longer is heated from a flame, the resistance rises, triggering the furnace to cut off the flow of gas.

lets say the manufacturer of the conducter introduces an oil or something else the the exterior of the conductor to inhibit oxidation during transit it is possible but not likely that it would impede contact until the conducters were heated, in a way "burning" or evaporating the oil or whatever coating off. as far as i know this is not done , even if so the plausability of such a coating impeding conductivity is not likely.

i can see it now:
"come on brah, we're gonna get in late"
"no man, my cables were in my cold trunk all day i gotta get em warmed up first" ;)

jpschust

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2004, 11:11:24 AM »
hahaha good info mike.  yah i was thinking more along the lines of when copper cable oxidizes it actually becomes a better conductor over time, but we are takling silver cable here so render my point null and void :-)

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
Re: burning in silver cables?
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 09:58:08 PM »
^ Do people still burn in new silver cables?

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 01:25:52 AM »
^ Do people still burn in new silver cables?

I let brand-spanking new headphones play for 10 hrs out of superstition (and speakers if I ever had got any new ones). Everything else gets hooked up to be tested but I don't let it sit and run just cause I can. :-\
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 01:36:26 AM »
this sounds like the time a guy told me that you had to "break in" a baseball bat with at least 1000 swings. 

i don't buy it.
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2010, 11:55:51 AM »
I burn my cables by sitting on them and farting.. I find that the low end is much better but the sound stage suffers..  I also use the booster cable jumper method.. I make some adapters that are XLR to Giant clamps and boost a few cars with the cables, then they are well broken in. I find the sound stage is much better then my fart method. I would caution it does take hours of driving around looking to find stranded motorists that need a boost. But its well worth the extra effort. The great Kazoo taught me that method.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2010, 12:03:04 PM »
That explains the funky odor on all your US shipments. Your "secret weapon" as it were. You silly Americans-I fart in your general direction.
 ;D

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2010, 12:05:42 PM »
That explains the funky odor on all your US shipments. Your "secret weapon" as it were. You silly Americans-I fart in your general direction.
 ;D

I don't break in my cables to customers.. I let them do that :) I think some people appreciate the "fresh" cables I send them :)
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2010, 12:11:03 PM »
Indeed! Keep up the great work! :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com