Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA d:VICE just announced  (Read 158813 times)

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
Re: DPA d:VICE just announced
« Reply #300 on: January 02, 2019, 10:48:09 AM »
Voice Recorder 7 Pro was the program I first ran with the d:vice, it produced 96 kHz sized files with no info at all in the higher frequencies.  I have allowed the app to update but not experimented for over a year.  Just ran a  brief test again with it at 96 kHz setting and in iZotope Rx7 it is clear that there is NOTHING above 23-4 kHz, it flatlines in the spectral analysis window.  I am still using iOS 10 (afraid to break anything with an upgrade) so it is possible that VR 7 Pro plays nicer with the newer iOS versions, but I won't risk trying that as I can't go back to iOS 10 if something breaks.

I do not have Metarecorder, but when I questioned the DPA guys at the AES show in October about a 4 track version of the d:vice they recommended Metarecorder for syncing two MMA-As, since the power drain from a 4 channel d:vice would be more than an iPhone could handle.  I did not ask them about Metarecorder at 96 kHz.  It's on my list of things to maybe try, but I am currently busy learning Reaper so I can handle the 19 channel feed from my Zylia ZM-1, and this has maxed out my little brain for the moment.  I have a voice and piano session Friday that I am getting ready for (stereo shotgun on the singer/pianist, omnis on the Steinway, with the Zylia as backup).  I may play around with Metarecorder over the weekend, but we have three early instrument concerts to attend.  I could also throw in something about the day job, but I'm retired.

Jeff

Offline BlindGuyEars

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #301 on: January 02, 2019, 11:41:33 AM »
No worries. Yeah, life gets busier after retirement apparently. :)

Personally, I use Samplitude. I like it's audio engine and stock plugins, it borrows some concepts from Reaper like moving objects (events) around on the timeline, ripple editing etc. but it's not as open-ended.  Reaper is a techy tweaker's dream, with many many ways to do just about everything you can think of, but my brain can't cope with all that choice and possibility.

I came up using old versions of Cakewalk Sonar, so I'm accustomed to a well-defined and rather rigid workflow.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #302 on: February 27, 2019, 08:16:50 PM »
couple updates:

-used apogee metarecorder last weekend. i like the simplified interface over voicerecord pro (menu is a lot simpler and makes it harder to mess it up and accidentally record 16 bit or .mp3 or add effects accidentally). it worked well for me and you can drop markers while recording which some may find useful. level meters are better than voicerecord pro. it has an option to require long press to pause or stop your recording which is nice and secure

-the d:vice with 4061s passed a walk-thru metal detector in my pocket without issue

-i tried to connect a line-in to the d:vice, thru a blocking cap. d:vice didnt see an input so that seems like a dead end. not sure what it is sensing to trigger turning the input on and intitialize the d:vice control app

« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 12:17:38 AM by jerryfreak »
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #303 on: March 04, 2019, 11:33:05 AM »
was on phone with dpa support today

i asked about the rolloff and they told me 2nd order 80 hz

im pretty sure 2nd order = 12 dB/octave but i have no idea how to represent that on a frequency plot
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 08:32:32 PM by jerryfreak »
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline down2earthlandscaper

• Gear Collector (Slut/Hoarder) and Multiple-Rig Maniac
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #304 on: March 05, 2019, 01:43:05 AM »
recorded dweezil last night, didnt want to mess with levels so just set both the d:vice app and voicerecordpro levels to their absolute minimum and ran at the usual 24/44.1. it peaked at -20 and i can hear no audible noise floor upon normalization. pretty idiot proof in this case

i was moving around a bit but check out the jam section of pygmy twylyte around 23:30 for some good dynamic sections. maybe 15 feet from the stack in a quiet sit-down section

https://soundcloud.com/umphluv/dweezil2018-12-07

Dweezil sounds fantastic. Great job! Is this EQ'd?
Mics: CA-14(cards & omnis) and CA-11(cards & omnis) ; AT853's(cards, hypers, mini shotguns); Busman BSC-1 (cards, hypers, omnis)
Nakamichi CM300's (CP-1,2,3,4) Nakamichi CM700's (cards, omnis)
Tascam PE-120's (cards, omnis) Countryman B2D
DPA 4061's DPA 4022's; DPA 4080; AKG 480 ck61 and ck63; Naiant AKG Active Cables
Preamps: CA-9100; Naiant Tinybox (12v/48v + PIP 8V); Naiant Littlebox;
DPA MPS6030; Sound Device Mix Pre-D
Decks: Mixpre 10T and 6; Roland R-07; Marantz PMD620; Sony PCM M10; Edirol R-4; Zoom H6; Marantz PMD-661; Sound Devices 722

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #305 on: March 05, 2019, 03:07:26 AM »
recorded dweezil last night, didnt want to mess with levels so just set both the d:vice app and voicerecordpro levels to their absolute minimum and ran at the usual 24/44.1. it peaked at -20 and i can hear no audible noise floor upon normalization. pretty idiot proof in this case

i was moving around a bit but check out the jam section of pygmy twylyte around 23:30 for some good dynamic sections. maybe 15 feet from the stack in a quiet sit-down section

https://soundcloud.com/umphluv/dweezil2018-12-07

Dweezil sounds fantastic. Great job! Is this EQ'd?

i dont remember, prob a lil.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #306 on: March 10, 2019, 01:01:12 AM »
inside:

ADC:
AKM AK5552VN
https://www.akm.com/akm/en/product/datasheet1/?partno=AK5552VN

must be decent, McIntosh uses it in their phono preamp with digi out:
https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/brand/news/-/media/fed323ad77b74ababc94ec2c773dbfbc.ashx

Microcontroller:
CY8C3866LTI-030
https://www.arrow.com/en/products/cy8c3866lti-030/cypress-semiconductor

board:<10g
aluminum housing >50g

where can i find someone to accurately 3D scan the housing so i can print a plastic version? stick it to the back of the phone and call it a popsocket

« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 01:50:48 AM by jerryfreak »

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #307 on: March 11, 2019, 09:25:03 AM »
Thanks for that photo.

where can i find someone to accurately 3D scan the housing so i can print a plastic version? stick it to the back of the phone and call it a popsocket

Still dreaming of husking two or three as above and putting them in a phone-size USB battery case along with a smaller battery and internal USB hub to link up.  Primary hurdle is the recognition of more than one d:vice by the phone and recording app.  If anyone hears of progress on this front (multiple d:vices into one phone), please ping me.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #308 on: March 11, 2019, 09:28:35 AM »
your better bet would be to sync two iphones using metarecorder. less fiddling and guaranteed to work. you can even run both sessions from one of the phones, or a watch even

Online Gutbucket

« Reply #309 on: March 11, 2019, 09:42:32 AM »
May look into that as the only currently working practical alternative.  Would be great to have it all on one phone, limiting the amount of devices and wiring in pocket.  I used to carry two seperate recorders and preamps and am not looking forward to going back to that complexity even if manually syncing the files afterward isn't required.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Chrisedge

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #310 on: March 25, 2019, 12:39:49 PM »
What are some SMALL Cardioid mics that will plug directly into this (No battery/pre needed)? Or suggestions on mics in general?

I am trying to figure out how to reduce my footprint and this may be a good upgrade path on top of that.
Audio: Sound Professionals SP-CMC-10 (AT933s) or Church Audio CA-14 (Omni & Cards) Mics >
Sound Professionals Battery Box SP-SPSB-1, SP-SPSB-10 or Church Audio Preamp CA9200 >
Sony PCM-A10, Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2d Recorders
Video: Panasonic DCM-ZS100 & GoPro 7 Black

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #311 on: March 25, 2019, 12:45:10 PM »
What are some SMALL Cardioid mics that will plug directly into this (No battery/pre needed)? Or suggestions on mics in general?

I am trying to figure out how to reduce my footprint and this may be a good upgrade path on top of that.

DPA 4080's should work.

I've been considering that combo. Need to find some recordings made with it first before dropping that kind of cash.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #312 on: March 25, 2019, 01:22:28 PM »
I use 4081s (discontinued, but you can sometimes find them), which work fine.  The d:vice is limited to 30 dB of gain, so I have to do more boosting in post, since the 4081s are less sensitive than the 4060s (more like 4061s).  You can also use 4011s with the active cable with micro-dot connectors, but these are bigger.  I run this as backup sometimes for my main rig Josephson or Schoeps.

Online Gutbucket

« Reply #313 on: March 25, 2019, 02:13:16 PM »
(was typing while Jeff posted)
All current DPA cardioids can work.

That means any microdot terminated miniature, hooked up directly to the microdot inputs on the d:vice:
..and others

Primary difference between those being mounting system format and sensitivity, as far as I can tell, but with 4080 response and pattern vary a bit as well.  4099 is intended for instrument mounting and come with a foam screen integrated into a shock mount with a 90 degree gooseneck out the side of the microphone.  4098 has higher sensitivity and is intended for podium mic'ing or as a hanging choir microphone, and is "pencil format" style with the  integrated gooseneck extending from the rear of the microphone.  Even though it has higher sensitivity I find 4098 about on par with 4061 when setting my input trims.

4080 is slightly higher sensitive still with a somewhat different response- a less smooth response curve and a somewhat more wide-cardioid-ish open pattern. 4098 & 4099 are nominally supercard but appear to be about as far that side of cardioid as the 4098/4099 is to the supercardioid side.

..and also means the new modular mainline DPA cardioid caps (4011, 2011) can work as well via the active microdot cable.

Offline Chrisedge

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #314 on: March 25, 2019, 06:51:48 PM »
Dumb question, could one use the d:VICE with other mics (see signature) with an appropriate adapter (microdot > 3.5mm stereo)?

I would considering spreading out the purchase, if I could use something else in the meantime.
Audio: Sound Professionals SP-CMC-10 (AT933s) or Church Audio CA-14 (Omni & Cards) Mics >
Sound Professionals Battery Box SP-SPSB-1, SP-SPSB-10 or Church Audio Preamp CA9200 >
Sony PCM-A10, Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2d Recorders
Video: Panasonic DCM-ZS100 & GoPro 7 Black

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.096 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com