Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: **** Wintech, need a versatile reliable balcony clamp.  (Read 3239 times)

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • 😈
**** Wintech, need a versatile reliable balcony clamp.
« on: January 28, 2016, 10:36:59 AM »
As witnessed by Audball and JBanyai, my mics almost took a long trip off the balcony. No more Wintech clamp.  :facepalm:

There's an about two inch bar that's a bit off center but close enough, and an about one inch lip that's more centered. So a clamp that would cover both would be great. Thanks!
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
Re: **** Wintech, need a versatile reliable balcony clamp.
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 11:41:47 AM »
As witnessed by Audball and JBanyai, my mics almost took a long trip off the balcony. No more Wintech clamp.  :facepalm:

There's an about two inch bar that's a bit off center but close enough, and an about one inch lip that's more centered. So a clamp that would cover both would be great. Thanks!

Safety Cable, never run anything past the lip of the balcony without one.

I'm having difficulty imagining what you're describing; do you have a pic of the bar/lip area where the tragedy was narrowly averted?

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 11:59:44 AM »
Ah, wish I did. Anything that will handle the two inch hand rail bar should work. Did have cable.  ;D

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 04:26:06 PM »
Could you draw it because I can't visualize what you're trying to clamp onto?  If it's a odd enough shape and size, you might ask a welder to modify a C clamp for you. 

Offline johnfitz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 04:31:45 PM »

One vote here for the Manfrotto Super Clamp...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 04:40:57 PM »
I've owned the other Manfrotto above, which is good for tables, but I find this bad boy to be all I need.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=546356&gclid=Cj0KEQiAlae1BRCU2qaz2__t9IIBEiQAKRGDVXGuGtZCJc-r810kpJ7fEcqtEUPL3O6uBYCgLon_g6YaApHI8P8HAQ&is=REG&ap=y&m=Y&Q=&A=details

I've run it with multiple sets of mics on it sticking out horizontally over the crowd, etc. It does the job, not too expensive, and built like a tank. Not optimal for clamping to a stand (as in, I would not do that). But the little adapter it has also works great on tabletops.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 05:26:48 PM »
Cullmann 1004 opens to 3.25" and mine from ebay includes a 5/8x27 threaded mini-stud. Augments the Manfrotto 649 nicely.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Cullmann+clamp&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=nts&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiru_vsxc3KAhUomYMKHUX5DIIQsAQILg&biw=1120&bih=557&dpr=1.5
Top row #3 & 4 (plus a few others scattered down the page) . Some of the other pics of this clamp offer some other ideas - particularly the Roy Dunn birding page hummerpix.

B&H shows it no longer available, not sure about adorama; they show up on ebay infrequently for $15-$30 unless included in a Cullmann Travel Kit then they often exceed $100.

Offline johnfitz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 06:28:43 PM »
I've owned the other Manfrotto above, which is good for tables, but I find this bad boy to be all I need.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=546356&gclid=Cj0KEQiAlae1BRCU2qaz2__t9IIBEiQAKRGDVXGuGtZCJc-r810kpJ7fEcqtEUPL3O6uBYCgLon_g6YaApHI8P8HAQ&is=REG&ap=y&m=Y&Q=&A=details

I've run it with multiple sets of mics on it sticking out horizontally over the crowd, etc. It does the job, not too expensive, and built like a tank. Not optimal for clamping to a stand (as in, I would not do that). But the little adapter it has also works great on tabletops.

Yeah, the super clamp is what I always use also. That's probably why I haven't had a chance to use the one I posted...

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 07:53:45 PM »
Thanks  guys, manfrotto super clamp it is.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2016, 06:17:34 AM »
Super Clamps are great (I actually have two for doing spaced omnis), but their maximum is around two inches or so.  I have encountered some railings that had diameters too big for them...

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2016, 10:36:37 AM »
I think the specs say a max of 2.1 inches.  If there is any extra lip around the 2" rail, hard to say if it will work.  Brilliant when it fits, though.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.113 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com