Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Denecke AD-20 thoughts  (Read 10319 times)

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
Re:Denecke AD-20 thoughts
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2003, 10:19:59 PM »
I would second Brian on the mics but I would go this route:

mics->pre->m1

For about $1000 you can get a new pair of AKG 393s and used mp2.

My tapes from the 2-26-03 Phish show were used with this setup and came out fantastic (to my ears anyway)

Shoot me an email if you'd like a copy.

Phish
2-26-03 Worcester, MA
(DFC/OTS) AKG se300b/ck93 -> mp2 -> D7
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2003, 10:23:37 PM »
Oh yea......I also ran AKG c1000s -> ad-20 -> d7 and liked the results....a bit much on the high end but I *thought* it was the mics.  Never got to run the 393s with it.  Definately worth the investment!  I'd love to be able to disable the pre in one of these and run 393s->mp2->ad-20->d7 :D
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2003, 10:26:42 PM »
i know where a ps-2 is for sale

but what about line transformers? what to buy? where?

thanks everyone for the advice!

Any of these will do (from the archive section):

Audio Technica  (http://www.audiotechnica.com)
CP8201
CP8305 (long cable, probably don't need this one)

Hosa  (http://www.hosatech.com)
MIT-176

Shure  (http://www.shure.com)
A85F

Radio shack offers one, too, I think.  Regardless of which you go with, you'll need two - one for each mic.  Should cost around $40 for the pair.  If your local music store doesn't have them or can't get them for you, I know Oade Bros carries the Hosa line transformer.

Brian C's suggestion is a great one, too - lots of MP2s floating around these days.  Just gotta ask yourself:  would you rather spend more money on mics now and buy the pre later, or buy mics and pre and upgrade the mics later?  Or...maybe you wouldn't upgrade at all.  Who knows!  That's part of the fun, IMO (this from an acknowledged gear slut!).   :P
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline botz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • .shn trades
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2003, 11:18:30 PM »
If you're going to go with the AD-20, just be sure you don't run a preamp in front of it.  Your levels will run way too high.

Also, I strongly recommend you modify the knobs.  Setting the levels with an un-modded AD-20 is tough in a concert setting because the knobs are so damn tiny.  If you have itty bitty dainty fingers, no problem.  Otherwise, superglue some washers or Legos or ANYTHING to the fronts of the knobs so you have something to grip while you set the levels.

I recently purchased a used Apogee ad500e for $200 + tax/shipping.  Then I bought a 12v battery & 15-pin cable from Pro Digital to power it for about $145, but you can find them cheaper used.  You might be able to hunt around for a similar bargain for a great piece of equipment like that.  However, unlike the AD-20, your levels will be too LOW if you don't run a preamp in front of the ad500e (could be an added expense for you).  Just some thoughts for you.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com