Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MiniMe Thoughts  (Read 13867 times)

Offline rustoleum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • AKG 481s->MiaGi IIs->MiniMe->MTII
MiniMe Thoughts
« on: June 03, 2003, 09:53:11 AM »
Hey All,

I've had a chance to play with my MiniMe 4 times now, and thought I'd send some thoughts.  I've used it in the field 3 times (in the sweet spot, ORTF) and once in my home to transfer a cassette master   into the 24-bit realm.  First off, this unit absolutely smokes.  I'm currently running 480s-> MME @16/48 -> d100  (Cassette -> MME -> zoltrix @ 24/48 in the transfer case) and the difference in quality vs  my old rig (480s->ps2->inbox->d100) is very apparent.

With each bass note I can feel the note resonate off of the room walls...it's got that punch I've heard at the show but never quite been able to capture onto tape.  The cymbals crash with incredible accuracy.  The kickdrum... WOW!  Sounds like it was mic'd in a studio.  Every instrument is very clear and crisp and at any given time I can pick  out an instrument to listen to.  The funny thing is I thought I was making great tapes before.  It really is true when someone says you don't really know what you are missing until you finally hear it.  There's no turning back now.

The greatest satisfaction came when I gave Uncle Sammy (check these guys out if you have the chance) a copy of the 5/10/03 Living Room - Providence show.. my first outting with this toy.  We were in Maine for the Peace Jam that they were headlining both nights of and they went for a drive and listened to part of the discs.

When they got out and told me what they thought they made some pretty convincing comments.   The best was, "Is this a matrix?".... hehe... nope... just the magic of the 480s with a quality pre-amp/AD combo.  One of the last times I used the ps2/inbox combo was at the Living Room for Uncle Sammy from the exact same  spot, same cables, same mic config and the difference is there.  They heard it, and I definately hear it.  Anyone interested in some samples (or if you just want some shows from a great band) feel free to get in touch.  

Lastly, I thought I'd share my gear bag with you.  I hope to have some pictures to put in the  rig section but for now this will have to do. I built a rack out of that wire shelving stuff. The MiniMe is mounted between two walls of the stuff with some padding to keep it safe and secure.  I built the shelf a couple inches longer  than the MME on both the front and back so the cables can all stay secure (and attached at all times) and the
gain knobs don't get moved if I close the bag.  By having everything connected in the bag at all times I really have  cut down on the amount of setup time for each gig.  Something I value as that gives me more schwill time in the lots!

As I've only used this thing in small clubs and small out-door venues I'm definately looking forward to seeing  how it fares in the various other venues I'll be heading to this summer.  No doubt, there will be more to come...

Anyway, thanks for the space. I'd love to hear some other MineMe stories.  Peace
Rusty

ps - looking forward to running the lappy in the field to be blown away by the difference between  16-bit and 24-bit.... I'll be there, soon

Offline danmorgan

• Taperssection All-Star
Re:MiniMe Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2003, 10:30:03 AM »
I went from running 481/3>ps2>ad500e to 481/3>mme.  The original setup with the ad500e was great, but no way to add any gain for larger venues.  The apogee a/d complements the 480's very well IMO.  

I'm awaiting a set of 140 actives right now...can't wait to hear this combo.  I think I'll like this even better, even though I love the 480's and always will.  I think the brightness of the 140's will produce even clearer highs with more solid mids and a lighter "punch".

I love my mme, it's only drawback IMO is the fact that the dimensions make it a bit cumbersome (being that it hasn't changed from the ad 500/1000).  But I've been used to that for quite some time. ;D

The laptop, IMO, makes for too much gear to lug...I've run it a few times now.  I love the 24/48 sound, but it makes it much easier now to just run into my D100 @ 16/44.  Can't wait for the HD boxes to come out...the Sound Devices unit less the pre/ad would be ideal.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2003, 10:33:32 AM by danmorgan »

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2003, 11:15:20 AM »
The mini-me is a great unit with the right mics. It would make sense the 480's sound good with the mini-me. Ran the mini-me with the schoeps myself, low end way too bloated most of the time, switched over to the V3, couldn't be happier now
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Jason B

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2003, 04:01:58 PM »

With each bass note I can feel the note resonate off of the room walls...it's got that punch I've heard at the show but never quite been able to capture onto tape.  The cymbals crash with incredible accuracy.  The kickdrum... WOW!  Sounds like it was mic'd in a studio.  Every instrument is very clear and crisp and at any given time I can pick  out an instrument to listen to.  

I own, run and love the MMe as well, but keep in mind, these issues you described could very well be the result of a really well mix for that particular room, especially the the remarks regarding the "studio" kick drum and being able to pick out each instrument individually.

Not putting the MMe down at all, I love it. It's just that this could very well be the case. You may find your results vary in other situations.

Good luck in further testing!!  :)

-JB

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2003, 10:06:09 AM »
....You may find your results vary in other situations.

Agreed. Do some testing in a few more different situations. You might be very surprised.

Kevin
« Last Edit: June 10, 2003, 10:24:06 AM by Mic D »

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2003, 10:19:45 AM »
as they say, its all about location, location, location
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

Offline rustoleum

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKG 481s->MiaGi IIs->MiniMe->MTII
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2003, 10:50:23 AM »
I definately agree with everyone's comments and will no doubt be doing furthur testing...  :)  This things just too much fun to play with to not!

I just had to post my surprise at how different the sound was between my 3/21/03 tapes done at the Living Room and my 5/10/03 tapes... Same band, same room, same sound guy, same mics, same cables, same mic config, same location... The MiniMe had to have something to do with it since everything else was (mostly) the same.  Naturally I'm sure the mix was at least slightly different on the two different days, as was the mic'ing of each of the instruments, but it's the closest to a comp tape I've done, so far and the difference was amazing and very apparent.

Did Trey @ Burlington on Sunday and am pretty pleased for how crappy the venue was - it's basically a high school gym.  OTS was to the left of the board in the very back of this brick room.  Anyone want to trade?  Page and Fish were hanging by the board for much of the first set, but no there were guests during the show... Didn't matter, I had lot's of fun.

Anyway, peace, all!
Rusty

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2003, 11:04:03 AM »
+T for enjoying yourself, Rusty!

Kevin

jpschust

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2003, 11:30:13 AM »
I still hold a few complaints about the mme-- especially that the casing and power supply are very poorly designed.  sound wise i love it, but as far cosmetics go i wish they would have taken some more time with it.

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2003, 12:07:37 PM »
I still hold a few complaints about the mme

I still hold more than a few complaints but to each his own......right?  

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2003, 12:36:49 PM »
my biggest problem was the egronomics of the damn thing.....sounded great
In Tyler we Trust

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2003, 02:21:33 PM »
Come on Kevin!  Out with it!  You have been itchy on this one for a while now.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Tim

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2003, 02:31:57 PM »
what's wrong with the power supply. mine fits in very snuggly. I've never been the least bit concerned about it.

DaryanLenz

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2003, 03:04:00 PM »
Mic D,

Tell us what you think?

Daryan

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2003, 03:46:24 PM »
>> what's wrong with the power supply. mine fits in very snuggly. I've never been the least bit concerned about it.<<

the cable that was shipped to me didn't fit correctly, yet it's apparently the correct cable.  it caused one channel to spike.  the plug also falls out sometimes

i like the sound of the v3 much better anyway, so the minime will most likely be for sale soon.  any takers? :)

Tim

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2003, 04:06:57 PM »
>> what's wrong with the power supply. mine fits in very snuggly. I've never been the least bit concerned about it.<<

the cable that was shipped to me didn't fit correctly, yet it's apparently the correct cable.  it caused one channel to spike.  the plug also falls out sometimes

i like the sound of the v3 much better anyway, so the minime will most likely be for sale soon.  any takers? :)

I'm sur ethe dealer told you it was the correct one but did Apogee? Mine fits very snuggly and has never given me any problems. I think a lot of folks got bad cables from places like Pro Dig and then wanted to blame Apogee.

Tim

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2003, 04:09:50 PM »

on that point I may be heading in your direction. I need more time with it but at this point I haven't been 100% pleased with the u89->minime combo. It's sounds really good but is a bit bottom heavy at times. I need to do more comparisons to be 100%.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2003, 04:18:48 PM »
My problem is I'm just too damn picky.  Forgetting sonic qualities for the moment (I obviously prefer the V3 as I run one), my issues with the MMe:

[1]  half-rack dimensions are a bit awkward for portable gear
[2]  unprotected knobs/switches
[3]  internal high/low gain jumpers instead of external switch
[4]  poor level meters
[5]  recessed cal pots when running low gain
[6]  non-locking XLRs
[7]  non-locking power cable
[8]  inability to output 16- and 24-bit simultaneously (I vaguely recall that this can be done, actually, via S/PDIF 16-bit and USB 24-bit)

My issues with the V3:

[1]  no soft-limit
[2]  locking power connector longer than right-angle XLRs
[3]  inability to output 16- and 24-bit simultaneously
[3]  internal high/low gain jumpers instead of external switch
[4]  internal M-S/stereo jumpers instead of external switch

That said, there's plenty to love about each unit - but it's always easier to moan about real or perceived shortcomings than to sing praises.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Tim

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2003, 05:03:48 PM »
Great post Brian! I agree with everything you said. Ultimatley it comes down to sound (for me).

Offline danmorgan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2003, 05:47:27 PM »
I'm sur ethe dealer told you it was the correct one but did Apogee? Mine fits very snuggly and has never given me any problems. I think a lot of folks got bad cables from places like Pro Dig and then wanted to blame Apogee.

Egg-sactly.  Just hack the wallwart and fashion you own DC cable by soldering on a 4-pin Neutrik.

Who uses the wallwart in the field anywhoo?

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2003, 05:59:02 PM »
Mic D,

Tell us what you think?

Daryan

I've already expressed my feelings on this subject a few times (here and the oade board). The sound of the MMe is just too cloudy/hazy/tubby-ish TO MY EARs. Sort of plunger-ish if you will. Warm, but not as defined/detailed as I would like. I am very picky, though. The V3 isn't the greatest one box solution either (imo), I just like it better than the MMe. These are all MY thoughts so take them how you like  :).

Kevin

Offline danmorgan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2003, 07:26:07 PM »
To each one's ears, their own.

I think mics and placement play a big part here guys...

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2003, 08:34:43 PM »
that really is the bottom line, talk all you want abou the pre and A/D, its the mics that make the biggest difference and change the sound the most.
In Tyler we Trust

Offline danmorgan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2003, 08:40:13 PM »
that really is the bottom line, talk all you want abou the pre and A/D, its the mics that make the biggest difference and change the sound the most.

:) :) :) :) :)

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2003, 08:58:10 PM »
TI think mics and placement play a big part here guys...

True that!

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2003, 10:45:33 PM »
>>I think mics and placement play a big part here guys...<<

absolutely, but some of us have run plenty of comparisons and come up with true opinions on what we like best based solely on the gear....

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2003, 11:47:35 PM »
absolutely, but some of us have run plenty of comparisons and come up with true opinions on what we like best based solely on the gear....

True that, too!

jpschust

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2003, 12:19:17 AM »
to go back to this wallwart thing- wall warts for portable gear like this are a BAD solution.  There needs to be a locking power cable of some sort.  Why have a cable that can very easily come loose with a slight jostle?  Why not just spend the extra buck and make it a locking xlr connector?  There are any number of locking solutions for this!

Offline danmorgan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2003, 01:25:06 AM »
to go back to this wallwart thing- wall warts for portable gear like this are a BAD solution.  There needs to be a locking power cable of some sort.  Why have a cable that can very easily come loose with a slight jostle?

Jonny,
I referenced the wallwart thing due to some early issues some focs had with the prodig cable causing minimes to short.  They shipped me one with my Mme when I got it and I've yet to even use it because of this.  Instead, I rigged up the original connector from the wallwart with a 4-pin Neutrik myself.  The screw in clamp on the rear, I bent well enough to hold the DC adapter *securely*(not too tight), and I've not once had any issues.

Why not just spend the extra buck and make it a locking xlr connector?  There are any number of locking solutions for this!

Are you referring to manufacturing here or modifying it onesself?  I'd be interested in what you mean here.  If you mean on Apogee's end, I agree completely.  Not to mention locking XLR's in opposed to the little snap-in type.  

I like mine a lot, but agree with damn near everything Skalinder wrote as cons to the unit

thanks,
Dan
« Last Edit: June 11, 2003, 01:28:32 AM by danmorgan »

jpschust

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2003, 01:30:36 AM »
im talking purely on manufacturing- the unit should have a female connector on the back so that one could do locking 4 pin to locking 4 pin

Offline danmorgan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2003, 01:32:16 AM »
im talking purely on manufacturing- the unit should have a female connector on the back so that one could do locking 4 pin to locking 4 pin

I thought so,  same with the Inputs....  I thought you had word on some sort of mod here. :-\

Tim

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2003, 01:57:20 AM »
to go back to this wallwart thing- wall warts for portable gear like this are a BAD solution.  There needs to be a locking power cable of some sort.  Why have a cable that can very easily come loose with a slight jostle?  Why not just spend the extra buck and make it a locking xlr connector?  There are any number of locking solutions for this!

Some of you must have gotten screwed by your retailer. The cable that I use sits in *very* snuggly and I can pick up the unit and move it all around and plug/unplug from the spdif and aes without any problems. I guess locking would be nice but it's not necesary with the power cable that I got.

jpschust

« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2003, 02:26:51 AM »
dan, if i can get ahold of a unit for a bit i might be able to see what i could do on moding it.  if nothing else i could probably hard wire the connection internally > 4 pin so that you would essentially have a pigtail with a 4pin xlr on it.

Offline danmorgan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2003, 02:33:48 AM »
if nothing else i could probably hard wire the connection internally > 4 pin so that you would essentially have a pigtail with a 4pin xlr on it.

Not much room internally.  Pigtail idea is a good one...it could be clamped well and be a good option.  I think I'll be checking it out soon, tommorrow if I have time.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.151 seconds with 62 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com