Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How can i play music from my HD using sqeezebox and squeeze center or other?  (Read 2956 times)

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org
i did some searching but i am totally new to this idea.

I am looking for a way to play my music from my HD's --I am a little tired of the Cd's

could someone please help with with some sort of lineage of devices i would need in order to set up these change of events.

And is squeezebox the system to get?

What devices would one need to run remote music from my HD?  i have  computers so what would be next?

thanks

please advise

Offline scervin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
I think I run exactly what you are looking for:

HD>Squeezebox Duet>Marantz pre/pro>Odyssey Stratos Extreme SE> waiting for new speakers to arrive

I went to a HD based system because my son (19 months) would get into the CD's and toss them everywhere.  I ended up with the Duet because I don't have room up front for the SB3 and I find the Duet easier to use throughout the house.  I have an external 500 GB drive hooked to a very old laptop that has USB 1.1 and works fine.  I plan on getting a refurb XP pro desktop box with internal 1 TB drive.

SC

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Taperssection Member
nice,

i run mac computer but that is what i was looking for.

a lineage of devices on how to play from the external hard drive.

I have 17 external HD's

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Taperssection Member

HD>Squeezebox Duet>Marantz pre/pro>Odyssey Stratos Extreme SE> waiting for new speakers to arrive

I went to a HD based system because my son (19 months) would get into the CD's and toss them everywhere.  I ended up with the Duet because I don't have room up front for the SB3 and I find the Duet easier to use throughout the house.  I have an external 500 GB drive hooked to a very old laptop that has USB 1.1 and works fine.  I plan on getting a refurb XP pro desktop box with internal 1 TB drive.

SC

The names are a little unfamiliar so that is why i ask?

hello, what is the Mrantz pre/pro?

Odyssey stratos extreme SE?

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
In deep discussion last night about Tube Amps and the Squeezebox with a IT Guy over at a big RTP computer firm...  He's not convinced that Wireless is the way to go, he seems to think we'd get interference... 

Anybody ever have issues with their wireless???  I know in my own house, the laptop has a slow connection in the TV room as the Hub is at the opposite end of the house...  How would a weak signal effect the SD???

I wonder if running a hard-wire in the crawlspace would be better???  Are there issues with PC Noise over the Netwrok connection like you get with the Line-Out or the Coax Out??? 

I wonder if USB out is the way to go???

Just some thoughts from my discussions from last night...

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
Wifi does suffer bit errors from interference but the protocols used to transport data have error detection and correction to ensure that your wireless link delivers only clean data.  The biggest problem is the limited bandwidth and that as you get a weaker signal and retransmits go up, it's harder to maintain a sustained high data rate. 

Wired is definitely the best way to go for multimedia but if you are streaming just audio, you should be OK in most cases.  I stream flacs from a NAS to my laptop using 802.11g.  The sustained rate for 2496 flacs is around 2.5Mbps so even on a compromised link I never have an issue.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Wifi does suffer bit errors from interference but the protocols used to transport data have error detection and correction to ensure that your wireless link delivers only clean data.  The biggest problem is the limited bandwidth and that as you get a weaker signal and retransmits go up, it's harder to maintain a sustained high data rate. 

Wired is definitely the best way to go for multimedia but if you are streaming just audio, you should be OK in most cases.  I stream flacs from a NAS to my laptop using 802.11g.  The sustained rate for 2496 flacs is around 2.5Mbps so even on a compromised link I never have an issue.

Coolio, thanks for the reply.  I guess I could always get one and work out the kinks later...

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline scervin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star

SC

The names are a little unfamiliar so that is why i ask?

hello, what is the Mrantz pre/pro?

Odyssey stratos extreme SE?

Marantz is my HT/2 channel audio processor.  It is HDMI 1.3 and decodes all Blu-Ray and HD-DVD audio codecs (DTS Master Audio, DD TruHD, etc).  The Odyssey is just an upgraded Odyssey audio 2 channel amp. 

I eventuall plan to add either a Dodson DAC and Modwright 2 channel pre or Modded Duet and Belles 28a.  Just waiting to break in speakers so I can make the right choice.

SC

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com