Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Pads / attenuators required in order not to oversaturate the SD mixpre-d?  (Read 3397 times)

Offline if_then_else

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Hi,

I'm looking into upgrading my current preamp to some Sound Devices mixpre-d. (My current rig is: Line Audio CM3 cardioids -> JuicedLink RM-222 -> Sony M10.)

Just a quick question about the sensitivity of the xlr-inputs on the mixpre-d: When recording moderately loud to excessively loud / bassy stuff (post-rock, post-hardcore, noise rock), would you just need to flip the switch to "line" (instead of "mic")? Or would it be necessary to add an attenuator / pad to the input chain (in order to let phantom power pass through while reducing the input signal by a few dB).

In the latter case: I heard good things about the Triton Audio AirHead (http://tritonaudio.com/index.php?option=com_simpleshop&Itemid=30&cmd=product&product=16&catName=Pro%20Audio). Anybody here got any experience with them?

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
I have a MixPre (not D) and use mic attenuators to step it down. I use 20db ones that Naiant built for me, and the dials are pointed at 10 or 11 o'clock at moderately loud/most shows. I use the miniplug out, not the XLRs. Not sure if it makes a difference. The MixPres were designed to be optimally used for spoken word/reporter use, so they make tons of good clean/colorless gain.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline if_then_else

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
I have a MixPre (not D) and use mic attenuators to step it down. I use 20db ones that Naiant built for me, and the dials are pointed at 10 or 11 o'clock at moderately loud/most shows. I use the miniplug out, not the XLRs. Not sure if it makes a difference. The MixPres were designed to be optimally used for spoken word/reporter use, so they make tons of good clean/colorless gain.

Actually, I was talking about the XLR INs - not about the OUT(s). Apologies, if i didn't make it clear in my first post.

The thing is that I once ruined a recording by using the wrong settings on my JuicedLink pre-amp*. There are three switches/pots on the device that you could vary depending on your subject of recording - and, yes, they were optimized for spoken language / acoustic stuff, too. That's why I'm asking: I just wanted to rule out that sort of "learning curve" with my new mixpre-d.

Would "line in" be enough in order not to oversaturate the pre with bass and sub-bass frequencies or do I have to use attenuators with the mixpre-d?

* For amplified rock show, I have to use (in: MIC,  gain: Low) on the RM-222. For super-loud stuff / super sensitive mics it's (in: MIC,  gain: High) and I need to adjust the pots accordingly. For spoken-word / acoustic stuff (in: MIC,  gain: High) is fine.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 08:09:42 AM by if_then_else »

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...

Actually, I was talking about the XLR INs - not about the OUT(s). Apologies, if i didn't make it clear in my first post.

The thing is that I once ruined a recording by using the wrong settings on my JuicedLink pre-amp*. There are three switches/pots on the device that you could vary depending on your subject of recording - and, yes, they were optimized for spoken language / acoustic stuff, too. That's why I'm asking: I just wanted to rule out that sort of "learning curve" with my new mixpre-d.

Would "line in" be enough in order not to oversaturate the pre with bass and sub-bass frequencies or do I have to use attenuators with the mixpre-d?

* For amplified rock show, I have to use (in: MIC,  gain: Low) on the RM-222. For super-loud stuff / super sensitive mics it's (in: MIC,  gain: High) and I need to adjust the pots accordingly. For spoken-word / acoustic stuff (in: MIC,  gain: High) is fine.

Yes, you'll probably need to use the attenuators as mentioned above on the XLR inputs. The MixPre much like my Shure FP24 can overload on the input based on your mic sensitivity. Using an attenuator on the line out would be only necessary if you were overloading the recorders inputs.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com