Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-05 settings guide  (Read 5215 times)

Offline emalvido

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Tascam DR-05 settings guide
« on: October 18, 2018, 04:21:32 PM »
Hello to all

My two mic options using recently purchased a Tascam DR-05

OKMII/R>A3>DR-05
SP-CMC-8>ST-9100>DR-05

Loud rock music:
With the OKM´s  manually, the recording level is on the minimum, but the meters hit all the way up,  usually the red led blinks peaking and overloads if its extra thump/loud overloading.
The A3 battery box does not have levels
Is there a way to prevent this? wich one recomend to use?
-Peak Reduction
-Auto Level
-Limiter

When taping with the SP-CMC-8>ST-9100
I can turn the level up/down on the ST-9100 and can record with no overload problems.
Also, if there is a settings guide recording with the DR-05 could some one point me where to look it?

Thanks

Offline ycoop

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Tascam DR-05 settings guide
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 05:21:58 PM »
Do you have the DR-05 set to line in or mic in?
Mics: Avantone CK-1s, AT853 c+o
Pres: CA9100
Recorders: DR-60d mkII, DR-2d

Offline emalvido

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 06:19:35 PM »
I plug it in the only one aviable wich is located on the top of the unit:
MIC/EXT IN Jack

Offline ycoop

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 07:16:17 PM »
There’s a setting for “mic power.” If you turn that off it should treat the input as line level.
Mics: Avantone CK-1s, AT853 c+o
Pres: CA9100
Recorders: DR-60d mkII, DR-2d

Offline The Other Chris

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • My list:
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2023, 10:03:07 PM »
My battery box is dead, running the Dr-05 at a loud concert, with the mic power off I'm barely getting levels, any advice on whether or not to run with the mic on option?  Using CA 11 cards.  Thanks!!!

Offline robgronotte

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2023, 05:37:39 PM »
There’s a setting for “mic power.” If you turn that off it should treat the input as line level.

I have the DR-05 and microphones with a battery box. When I first got it I tried the mic power setting both ways and there was no difference. When I tried the mics without the battery box with mic power on and it sounded like crap.

Offline commongrounder

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2023, 10:02:13 AM »
The Tascam DR-05 (also 05x, 07mkii, 07x) has no switchable “line-in” mode. The external input record level is set over a continuous range from mic level to a supposed “line level”. Unfortunately, even with the gain set at minimum, the sensitivity is too high for standard consumer line level and hot condenser mic signals (not to even mention +4dbm professional output levels). The full scale sensitivity at minimum gain is 500mv (0.5v) RMS. Anything hotter than that will clip the A/D converter. I have used an in-line attenuator (with a battery box for mics) to make it work, but ultimately moved on to a recorder with more useable level ranges.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2023, 11:57:08 AM »
Like commongrounder mentions, it sounds like you will need to use an in-line stereo attenuator to get the signal level down to what the R05 is able to accept without overload.  I believe you can buy one from Sound Professionals in the form of a small cylindrical in-line stereo mini-jack device that you can place in line between the recorder and battery-box or preamp.

My battery box is dead, running the Dr-05 at a loud concert, with the mic power off I'm barely getting levels, any advice on whether or not to run with the mic on option?  Using CA 11 cards.  Thanks!!!

^ Long belated response, but in the future, take the battery box out of the circuit, plug the microphones directly into the recorder and switch on mic-power/PIP (plug in power) on the recorder. The recorder's mic-power voltage may not be sufficient to power the microphones as well as the battery box does, but will be your best bet if you don't have a replacement battery for the battery box. The battery box must be removed because there are series capacitors in the circuit that prevent the DC voltage it is providing to the microphones from reaching the recorder.  Because those capacitors prevent the passage of DC in both directions, the battery box will not allow mic-power voltage from the recorder to pass through to the microphones.

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.144 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com