Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: The myth of unity gain  (Read 30696 times)

Offline EricM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: The myth of unity gain
« Reply #75 on: February 28, 2016, 06:56:00 PM »
I used a Sony M10, Audio Technica AT943 stereo cardioid mics and a 12volt battery box.

I had my rec dial on 4. Low Mic sensitivity, limiter on and manual record mode. Mic input used.

I still have some clipping in the loudest screams, yells and whistles from the audience. None of the music clipped as far as I could tell.  It's mostly a clean recording. I think over the 2 hour show there's maybe 2 minutes worth of clipping.

Next time I will set my Rec dial to 3. I don't want even 1 second worth of clipping.

Is there anything else I could have done?

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #76 on: February 28, 2016, 07:00:46 PM »
I used a Sony M10, Audio Technica AT943 stereo cardioid mics and a 12volt battery box.

I had my rec dial on 4. Low Mic sensitivity, limiter on and manual record mode. Mic input used.

I still have some clipping in the loudest screams, yells and whistles from the audience. None of the music clipped as far as I could tell.  It's mostly a clean recording. I think over the 2 hour show there's maybe 2 minutes worth of clipping.

Next time I will set my Rec dial to 3. I don't want even 1 second worth of clipping.

Is there anything else I could have done?

You've looked at the waveform to see that it's definitely clipping, as in there are peaks hitting 0dB? Would want to rule out that something isn't overloading earlier in the chain, though with a 12v battery box that admittedly seems unlikely.

Next option I'd use would be to switch to Line In, which is significantly quieter than the Mic In on the M10.

Offline EricM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #77 on: February 28, 2016, 08:47:39 PM »
^ I had a look at it in Audacity. There's some clipping there. Some red peaks. I listened to my recording at the same time as looking at the graph. In the screams etc there's definately clipping. I thought for sure I'd be safe at Rec Level 4 on the dial and the other settings. I might try Line In next time as you suggested. I've only recorded 3 shows so far. I know one things for certain for me and that is that 4 is too high.

Lucky for me I'm mostly in the right levels. I ended up with a pretty good recording that could have been great.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 08:49:40 PM by EricM »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com