Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony's new $600 recorder PCM-D50  (Read 113847 times)

Offline motobill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Sony's new $600 recorder PCM-D50
« Reply #195 on: November 26, 2007, 08:56:25 AM »
Just pulled the trigger from Music123...
Orders over $250 get $50 off, so this qualifies, and free shipping.
Sweet.
Anyone thinking of getting it should jump on this offer.

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #196 on: November 26, 2007, 04:30:36 PM »
Just pulled the trigger from Music123...
Orders over $250 get $50 off, so this qualifies, and free shipping.
Sweet.
Anyone thinking of getting it should jump on this offer.

Since B&H still has no estimated time of arrival, I canceled and bought one from Music123.  They are a good company based in Philly, and with that save $50 deal, the total cost was $450 w/no tax & free shipping!

+T for the heads up!

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #197 on: November 26, 2007, 07:41:02 PM »
After listening to the samples, R09 sounds warmer, more robust, than the D50. 

EDIT:  difference could be tonal to the player and instrument and not the recorders, since the samples are of 2 different songs.     
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 10:02:37 PM by spyder9 »

Offline motobill

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #198 on: November 26, 2007, 08:30:47 PM »
I don't know...they sound the same to me ???

Offline udo

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #199 on: November 26, 2007, 08:58:19 PM »
I got the shipping number from zzounds today, should be here on wednesday  ;D
phphotovideo has them back in stock as well. Too bad I had already ordered at zzounds, when I read about the music123 discount.
sp c4s mixpre sony pcm-d50

Offline finao1

• Taperssection Newbie
Pre-amp quality vs R09
« Reply #200 on: November 26, 2007, 09:12:13 PM »
Here's a sample of pre-amp quality from the D50 and R09.  I used a Shure SM57 dynamic mic to gauge the suitability of the recorders without using the Sound Devices 302.  File is attached.  Sony was set to level of 7 (out of 10) on the dial.  Edirol needed high mic gain and level maxed at 30 to have enough gain.  This one is easy to pick.

BP

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
Re: Pre-amp quality vs R09
« Reply #201 on: November 26, 2007, 09:22:02 PM »
Here's a sample of pre-amp quality from the D50 and R09.  I used a Shure SM57 dynamic mic to gauge the suitability of the recorders without using the Sound Devices 302.  File is attached.  Sony was set to level of 7 (out of 10) on the dial.  Edirol needed high mic gain and level maxed at 30 to have enough gain.  This one is easy to pick.

BP

OK, the Sony sounds great!
What about hotter mics?  If this is at level 7/10 on mic input, would a condenser (with loud jam bands as input!) overload it?

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline motobill

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #202 on: November 26, 2007, 09:30:11 PM »
I don't know...they sound the same to me ???
Update...
The R09 and D50 sound the same (to me) on the sample of the kid playing sax, but...
The D50 sounds WAY better with the Shure SM57 direct in.

Offline Mr.Fantasy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Jesus saves...
« Reply #203 on: November 26, 2007, 09:33:55 PM »
Nice sax play for a 14 year old....

Better than I ever was......
"I read somewhere that 77 percent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 percent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves" ---Jerry Garcia

Mics: Modified Nak 300's, Line Audio CM4
P48/Pres: PS2
Decks: Edirol R-09

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
Re: Pre-amp quality vs R09
« Reply #204 on: November 26, 2007, 10:00:08 PM »

BP

Wow!  Thanks for this one BP!  +T in 12.

Offline udo

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #205 on: November 26, 2007, 10:00:16 PM »
I promise once I get my recorder I will post some internal mic samples. (I left the bag with the mixpre and the c4s at the relatives house, so I won't get back to them them before mid-december).
sp c4s mixpre sony pcm-d50

Offline finao1

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #206 on: November 26, 2007, 10:10:22 PM »
The sax play was using the line in for each the R09 and D50.  The Sound Devices 302 has two line outs, one fixed and the other variable.  I was using the variable on the D50 and the fixed on the R09. 

The voice comparisons are direct mic in connections to each recorder.  The voice test really tests the pre-amps while the sax sample bypasses (mostly) the built in pre-amps. 

Re. the comment that the R09 sounded warmer on the sax, although I think they are close, I would tend to agree with that comment.  I do believe the difference may have to do with the R09 getting the fixed line out.  I want to test a sample to both devices and switch the feed for each and see if it makes a difference.  That said, when I was monitored the recording live, I felt that the D50 gave a more accurate representation of what I heard with my ears.

I did not try the NT3 (condenser) with the sax and D50 direct mic in.  There is a 20 db pad (switch) on the side of the D50 to engage if levels are too high.  I have not tried it yet.

Offline bonghitwillie

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #207 on: November 27, 2007, 12:33:49 AM »
i am moving over from dat.  i was gonna buy an r-9.  does this mean i should buy a d50?  i stealth and the d50 looks bigger than the r-9.  how does the d50 compare with the microcrap 2?  i would hate to have to buy 3 dif recorders.

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #208 on: November 27, 2007, 01:05:48 AM »
Got this and translated it via online translation page....it is rough but mentions the media compatibility issues.....it sounds alot like the MT2496 in terms of getting around a error or media full type scenario:

From kakaku.com (a price update and review webpage use by alot of japanese gadget freaks):

Noaru-nichi san 2007年11月19日 13:33

Because I obtain it in ソニスタ on 16th and used it on the weekend, I review it.
In addition, I used R1 and H2 till I obtained D50.

The accessories purchased only a carrying case.

* A built-in microphone
 In the range that built-in Mike did not use a lump very much, but tested a little.
 There is a position stopping in the zero degree that the position of the microphone turn to the front besides 90 degrees and 120 degrees and did in parallelism click.
 LR seems to be decided whether I can turn outward and can install whether I can turn inward than this in the free direction.
 The sound quality of the built-in microphone seems to reflect a frequency characteristic, and it seems to be the sound that is very slightly clear by high level breaking out intensively in one spot.
 When I used it with AT822 in the same condition, AT822 is richer in the low stock price in the middle of a day level, and resolution is an impression that having it built-in is better.
 I think whether there are few noises, and both are excellence for sound quality in a favorite range.

* An outside microphone
 I taped the exercise of the full pail with AT822.
 A low level, growth of the high level were well clear in comparison with H2+AT822 and became dynamic.
 The sound that it is a very clear sound, but the line is slightly narrow(Is not the thickness of the intermediate tone enough?) It is an impression.
 But I think that it may be said that it is high sound quality in comparison with R1 and H2 overwhelmingly.

* Operation
 Buttons are usable intuitively intelligibly.
 Because there are A, a B repeat button at the position where it is easy to touch during reproduction, I push it by mistake.
 Because I react when I close the cap with a case in particular, it is necessary to do it and is good if I keep on draining it by in trains, but is slightly inconvenient for hold when I operate forwarding frequently.

* Reproduction sound quality
 It is worthwhile that I am proud of the headphones output and thinks that I am very good.
 DAP uses A808, but listens by the sound that is better than lossless of A808.
 The reproduction of mp3 is good, too.
 I am too big to carry it as DAP, but am very good for a monitor after the recording.
 Because lineOut is good, I may be usable as the reproduction machine of 96khz24bit data.

* An external memory
 This is the only dissatisfaction.
 The correspondence media becomes only HG of MS PRO DUO or hiSpeed.
 I predicted it when I might work even if I met out of support and used UltraII(4G) of SanDisc.
 As a result, I record it without a problem really and can play it.
 But it is troublesome that a message called UNNOWN MEMORY is displayed whenever I switch it on.
 If I ignore it and operate it, I am usable, but want you to revise the unnecessary message not to start it in a farm.
 Perhaps will not the practical use top be all right in normal Pro Duo either?
 I do not measure it about the data transmission, but the which read and wrote MS with an extra card reader seems to be fast than I use the MS via main body memory or the main body by USB.

* A tripod
 I do not use many tripods by how to handle me, but even cheap mini-tripods of the digital camera use are enough.
 But it is necessary to take off a carrying case when I use the tripod.

* Others
 Though odd size of R1 which I used for two years is unpleasant and purchased small H2, I am bigger and get heavy and did it, but am satisfied with feel of a material and a design.
 As for the weight, the main body which pulled a battery is considerably light, but four battery duty considerably works.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #209 on: November 27, 2007, 01:44:21 AM »
Any half-decent device these days will have an effectively flat frequency response when recording line-in, and noise levels will be unlikely to be of material significance.  Under other than the most critical listening conditions, if the test recordings are carefully made so that comparisons afterwards can be valid, I wouldn't expect to be able to pick one line-in recording from another - unless there's something seriously amiss with one of the devices.  What will be most significant will be the device being connected to the line-in.  If I heard a difference, the first thing I would question would be the test procedure.

Mic input comparisons are of much greater interest, however, particularly when it comes to noise performance of course.  Here I would expect Sony's good track record with portable devices to show up in controlled tests - especially from their Broadcast division.  I'm looking forward to any results posted by the very demanding guys on the nature recordists sites.  They're even more paranoid about noise that Taperssection people!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com