Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony's new $600 recorder PCM-D50  (Read 113825 times)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Sony's new $600 recorder PCM-D50
« Reply #240 on: November 29, 2007, 02:18:22 PM »
So is there a mic preamp with phantom power and an optical out? I supposte that's what the v3 w/optimod is. Anything else out there?

Just for clarity's sake, there's no such thing as an analog mic preamp with a digital output.  The presence of a digital output on an analog preamp, by definition, means it's a preamp and analog-to-digital converter (ADC).  Might seem like a petty distinction, but I'd hate to see a newbie read some of the posts on TS and buy a preamp (without ADC) and expect it to provide a digital output.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spare some change and testify!
« Reply #241 on: November 29, 2007, 02:19:12 PM »
Regarding the CKL-PCMD50 case, I found a couple of pictures, mainly on Japanese sites.  Full compass is offering it as special order for about $50.  Looks like a Palm cover on roids to me.   ;)

Edit: Personally, I like the Zing bag mentioned here already.  Once we know that fits, I hope to get one asap.  The Crown Royal bag is working for now.

2nd Edit:  Here's the CKL-PCMD50 case on Ebay
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 02:31:56 PM by mrsoul »
It seems to me what you lose in mystery, you gain in awe.  Sir Francis Crick

kskreider

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #242 on: November 29, 2007, 02:22:34 PM »
Someone needs to hook this puppy up to a optimod V3 and see if it takes 24/96 over that optical connection.  I have an optimod.  I wonder if I can find one of these D50's locally to test out.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #243 on: November 29, 2007, 02:23:14 PM »
I think he meant is there any other external preamp/AD combo options out there besides the V3...
The only other one I can think of is the Edirol UA-5 which people have been using optical into JB3's for a long time with much success.

Already noted:

Grace Design V3
Edirol UA-5

Others:

Apogee AD-1000
Apogee MiniMe
CoreSound Mic2496
Denecke PS-2 + Denecke Inbox (AD-20)
Graham Patten DMIC-20 and DMIC-24

I'm sure there are more...
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline motobill

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #244 on: November 29, 2007, 02:23:17 PM »
So is there a mic preamp with phantom power and an optical out? I supposte that's what the v3 w/optimod is. Anything else out there?

Just for clarity's sake, there's no such thing as an analog mic preamp with a digital output.  The presence of a digital output on an analog preamp, by definition, means it's a preamp and analog-to-digital converter (ADC).  Might seem like a petty distinction, but I'd hate to see a newbie read some of the posts on TS and buy a preamp (without ADC) and expect it to provide a digital output.
Duly noted.

Offline motobill

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #245 on: November 29, 2007, 02:30:05 PM »
I think he meant is there any other external preamp/AD combo options out there besides the V3...
The only other one I can think of is the Edirol UA-5 which people have been using optical into JB3's for a long time with much success.

Already noted:

Grace Design V3
Edirol UA-5

Others:

Apogee AD-1000
Apogee MiniMe
CoreSound Mic2496
Denecke PS-2 + Denecke Inbox (AD-20)
Graham Patten DMIC-20 and DMIC-24

I'm sure there are more...
MiniMe...optical out...you sure?

Offline udo

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #246 on: November 29, 2007, 02:47:22 PM »
Regarding the CKL-PCMD50 case, I found a couple of pictures, mainly on Japanese sites.  Full compass is offering it as special order for about $50.  Looks like a Palm cover on roids to me.   ;)

Edit: Personally, I like the Zing bag mentioned here already.  Once we know that fits, I hope to get one asap.  The Crown Royal bag is working for now.

It will arrive today, I will let you know, whether it fits.
sp c4s mixpre sony pcm-d50

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #247 on: November 29, 2007, 02:50:16 PM »

It will arrive today, I will let you know, whether it fits.
If at all possible, can you post a picture of the D50 in the Zing bag? (if it fits that is).  Thanks, MS

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #248 on: November 29, 2007, 03:51:56 PM »
A friend of mine got his D50 yesterday and is having a problem gettting it to see digi-in at anything other than 16 bit 44.1 or 48k, using a pro studio A/D machine.  Has anyone gotten it to take digi-in at 24/96, and are there any tricks to that?

Jeff

This concerns me.  I was going to opt for this recorder because of digi-in and 24/96, but if I can't get 24/96, I might as well opt for a used JB3 in the Yard.

Can any other owners chime in?

The manual on page 28 states that linear PCM 44.1/44.0/96 kHz digital signals can be accepted for digital recording.  I don't have any thing that will give out that signal to test.  Is that pro studio sending out linear PCM signal?

Yes, he's sending a very low jitter pcm signal from $$$$ gear, with a "consumer" setting.  I want to try other gear (like my mic2496) but don't have my D50 yet.  (If I recall correctly, the old Sony M1/D100 DAT took digital in, but would only record 48/16 from the mic2496, not 44.1/16).  Just looking to see if anyone has actually successfully used a 24/96 digital input with the D50, as opposed to simply claims made in the manual.

Jeff

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #249 on: November 29, 2007, 04:04:47 PM »
This concerns me.  I was going to opt for this recorder because of digi-in and 24/96, but if I can't get 24/96, I might as well opt for a used JB3 in the Yard.
Can any other owners chime in?
Just looking to see if anyone has actually successfully used a 24/96 digital input with the D50, as opposed to simply claims made in the manual.
Jeff
Gotcha, no problem.  I was just looking it up for my own info and posted it.  The only optical out I have is from a DVD player and I don't think it will output that depth/rate.  Since I only have an analog preamp, it's not a concern for me at this time on my low end of the chain  8)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #250 on: November 29, 2007, 04:52:45 PM »
Gotcha, no problem.  I was just looking it up for my own info and posted it.  The only optical out I have is from a DVD player and I don't think it will output that depth/rate.  Since I only have an analog preamp, it's not a concern for me at this time on my low end of the chain  8)

Just an idea..

If you have or can borrow an R-09 you could patch from it's optical line out into the Sony to test it.

You'd need to play a 24bit file or at least have the R-09 in rec/pause with the appropriate recording bit rate setting and monitor setting in the menu switched ON.  The R-09 will feed a 24/44.1 or 24/48 optical signal out.  No 96khz though.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Jppiano

• Taperssection Newbie
Dig in to the PCM-D50
« Reply #251 on: November 29, 2007, 05:44:25 PM »
Hi, All

I am WifiJeff's friend who has been having problems with the Dig input - I tried it with a very high end A/D, and it would not lock at 96/24. I have a call to the SONY Pro Division - will report on what they say....

Joe P.

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #252 on: November 29, 2007, 05:55:37 PM »
Even if you don't have an AD converter you can test it out in a simple way. If your PC/Mac have an optical out just set your D-50 to 24/96 and record something. Then transfer the file to your computer. Play it back as 24/96 from your computer. Try and record the playback via an optical cable (from PC/Mac to D-50).

I'm still waiting for my D-50 to arrive so i cannot test anything yet.
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline udo

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #253 on: November 29, 2007, 06:13:52 PM »

If at all possible, can you post a picture of the D50 in the Zing bag? (if it fits that is).  Thanks, MS

[/quote]

it fits, but a bit loose. but its perfect for the bit of extra protection in my computer bag that I wanted.
sp c4s mixpre sony pcm-d50

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #254 on: November 29, 2007, 07:19:21 PM »
Thanks Udo!  T+ given earlier today! 
I wonder if the medium Zingo bag would fit?  That's the large right? 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com