Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SBM-1 Mod  (Read 7898 times)

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
SBM-1 Mod
« on: March 30, 2015, 07:02:07 PM »
Can anyone here modify a Sony SBM-1 with a SPDIF cable instead of the Sony 7 pin?
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
Re: SBM-1 Mod
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 07:20:14 PM »
Sure, it's relatively easy if you're handy with a soldering iron or you can send it to someone.

SBM-1 7-pin to coax mod instructions

Offline dnsacks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 07:33:30 PM »
doesn't the SBM-1 also have a female 7pin receptacle?  If so, would a modified 7pin cable that has a coax port (e.g. an Oade 7pin) do the same thing?

OP -- not sure that a SBM-1 is going to sound better than the sony m10 you're using (and it's limited to 16/48)

Offline hi and lo

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 07:47:14 PM »

OP -- not sure that a SBM-1 is going to sound better than the sony m10 you're using (and it's limited to 16/48)

It may not sound any better, but it definitely won't sound worse. I've done a number of comps recently where I've compared a stock SBM-1 against an AD2k+ and 744T A/Ds using the dual output of a PSP-2 and, quite frankly, I can't tell the difference between the two sources on blind playback. If you can power it in the field, the Super Battery Muncher is still a really good option for anyone that needs a digital output i.e. any Tascam DR-680 owner.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 03:18:05 PM »
..good option for anyone that needs a digital output i.e. any Tascam DR-680 owner.

An old SBM-1 missing the Oade adapter came my way, and that's exactly what I'm interested in-  Use of the extra stereo channel on the DR-680 via the SBM-1 for recording the SBD when  all six analog inputs are populated with mics.  Smaller and lighter than using the V3, and not as much overkill for just recording a SBD.  I run the 680 at 24/48, so the SBM-1 running at 48kHz should work fine as the master clock, and the 680 should simply pad the 8 least significant bits below 16 with zeros in the 24 bit file. 

I'll dig further into the link above, thanks.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline hi and lo

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 07:38:06 PM »
..good option for anyone that needs a digital output i.e. any Tascam DR-680 owner.

An old SBM-1 missing the Oade adapter came my way, and that's exactly what I'm interested in-  Use of the extra stereo channel on the DR-680 via the SBM-1 for recording the SBD when  all six analog inputs are populated with mics.  Smaller and lighter than using the V3, and not as much overkill for just recording a SBD.  I run the 680 at 24/48, so the SBM-1 running at 48kHz should work fine as the master clock, and the 680 should simply pad the 8 least significant bits below 16 with zeros in the 24 bit file. 

I'll dig further into the link above, thanks.

I can post some pictures, maybe later tonight. It's very easy.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 08:39:57 PM »
Thanks. No rush, and greatly appreciated. 

I'll need to 'de-stickify' the rubberized coating on this old SBM-1 before it goes in the bag, it's rubberized coating has gone all gooey.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 09:33:07 PM »
I would like to see some SBM1 pics too ;D 8) I had one back in like 2005 to run out of my v3 and into my JB3 at the time, because I was getting tired of the v3s ADC. I had a "24bit Oade modded" SBM1 that had all of the oade mods done to it. That little thing sounded great. Wish it did 24bit!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 11:00:24 PM »
I have a Oade modded sbm1.  I asked him if he still had info on the ones he modded ( he used to by serial number ).  Not anymore.  Just listened to a New Monsoon recording I did using the modded sbm1 with a NBox.  Awesome sounding combo. 

Btw, mine getting sticky too.  Very odd.  I'd like to find a dead one with a good shell to swap out the guts.  Mine has the 7 pin pigtail too, but I also have an Oade 7 pin adapter with an coax output. 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 11:28:38 PM by gormenghast »
A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

Offline Life In Rewind

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 11:33:53 PM »
What is it with the sticky Sony products!?

I have an old D3 DAT that has gone sticky - YUK - seems unfixable...

still - almost works sometimes.

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 10:39:44 AM »
+1 on the sticky...

Does heat have anything to do with it..? Also I have noticed a damp cloth or alcohol does not help...
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 11:43:51 AM »
Heat and humidity I suspect, maybe ozone.  Not a fan of rubberized textural coatings because this happens all too often with them.

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2015, 11:29:25 PM »
Yeah mine is in use with the channels 7-8 for the Tascam DR-680 and I would love another one.

What I would really like is to have it modded to 24b instead of the 20b, which the Tascam samples down to 16b. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2015, 03:33:37 PM »
Glad to hear confirmation that the SBM-1 will indeed work with the 680.

Just for clarification, the Sony is doing the dithering and truncation down to 16bits, not the Tascam.  The SBM-1 output is 16bits.  The application of noise-shaped dither to the 24bit internal output of it's ADC prior to truncation to 16bits is the Super Bit Mapping part, which lowers the noise-floor and makes for an "effective" range of somewhat more than 16 bits in most sensitive frequency range of our hearing, but the actual output format is still 16bits.  The Tascam is going to either write a 16 bit file if that's what you tell it to do, or a 24 bit file if you tell it to do that instead, regardless of the bit rate of the signal being feed into it's SPDIF input (only the sample rate needs to match).  The resulting recording on the Tascam will contain the same 16 most significant bits either way, stored in either a 16 bit or 24bit file. 

If you feed an actual 20 or 24 bit signal into the Tascam, it will record all of that information completely if set to write 24 bit files.  If set to write 16 bit files, it will truncate the least significant bits from that input, without using any SBM-like noise-shaped dithering process.

There may be some way to mod this thing to output the 24bit file before the SBM noiseshaping, and I could be wrong but I don't think Oade offered that. It isn't one of the three SBM-1 mods that were once described on the Oade website at least.   If so, it would no longer be doing any SBM'ing.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 03:40:59 PM by Gutbucket »

Offline Cobiwan

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2015, 06:26:54 PM »
Not to hijack, but I have two 7 pin > I/O splitters. One is the Oade 7 pin to I/O female, the other is 7 pin to ~12" I/O males. Don't think I'll ever use them again, or my D-8 for that matter.  If anyone needs either/both, PM me.

Edit:
Both 7 pin > I/O are spoken for.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 06:55:29 PM by Cobiwan »
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
2 matched pairs of Oktava MK-012 MSP6 with Bill Sitler mod + cardioid, hyper-cardioid, and omni capsules
Church Audio CA-14 omni/UBB
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Tascam HD-P2, Tascam DR-680, Zoom F-8
Cables:
Gakables XLR, S/PDIF, battery and umbrella, DigiGal AES > S/PDIF, Darktrain hot swap battery

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.24 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com