Gear / Technical Help > Battery Boxes, Preamps, Mixers, ADCs, and Processors

Sound Devices: MixPre-D vs 302 or 744T pre?

(1/3) > >>

nak700s:
I have never had the need for a mic pre or phantom power with my rig, but I'm looking to change things up for certain recording situations.

Please try not to be biased, but keep it to the simple facts and opinions.

1) If the 744T has a built in mic pre, why would I need something else.  Can't I run the mics directly into the 744T using the supplied phantom power?
2) If I need a separate mic pre, what is the audio difference (not use with a camera) between the MixPre-D and the 302? How long do Alkaline AA batteries last in these?
3) What would the 3rd mic input do for me on the 302 if I am only using 2 mics?  For that matter, other than using a "center" like the old Nakamichi 3-mic system, what the hell is there for?
4) My primary application for this new set-up is to run a board feed into the 744T, while also using a pair of stage mics for instruments not running through the board or ones too low in the mix. Suggestions would be appreciated.

...Thanks in advance for the help and advice.

jcable77:
The 302 can actually do a 5 channel "on the fly" mix. There's an 1/8th" 4/5 input you can use for board patch or naiant ipa style mini output/ line input. It's actually quite useful if your running 3 mics and a board or 2 more mics. Just my 2 cents.

jcable77:
3 AA's in the 302 last about 4 hours with 48v on 3 channels. Maybe a little more but I haven't pushed it too much further.

nak700s:
- Bump -

Still interested in the comparison between the 302 and the mixpre-d...what is the advantage for the gain on the 302, as opposed to not having it on the mixpre-d?

spyder9:
I'd get the 302.  It can be had on eBay for $500 nowadays.  It has Lundahl transformers.  It should match perfectly with a MixPre-3 recorder. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version