Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 5)  (Read 101105 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 5)
« on: October 01, 2015, 08:05:13 PM »
Tascam DR-70D Product Page

Reference Manual

Previous discussion threads:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

FAQ Thread (includes recommended settings, cases, batteries, list of issues, etc.)

SD Card Survey and Results
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
Re: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 5)
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 08:53:15 PM »
To answer a question about the 60d and card issues, no I have not had any trouble (knock on wood) with the 60d and errors.
I have used a few different cards including one that's class 4
I always do a full format in the unit and yes it takes a long time.

As for the 70d, it's verrrry interesting that the Europe list has tons of approved cards including some that people here get errors with
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 08:58:24 PM by willndmb »
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 09:27:24 PM »
Since nobody had a problem with the DR-70D until after June 2015, has anyone tried setting the system clock back a year?

As for the 70d, it's verrrry interesting that the Europe list has tons of approved cards including some that people here get errors with

nothing over 32GB though...

https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 11:01:43 PM »
Marking...

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 11:27:43 PM »
I find it mind blowing that Tascam in Europe has a different, longer list of approved cards than Tascam in the US.  Anybody want to bet on how long that will last now that this revelation has been posted? 

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 11:48:40 PM »
That is very strange.  I wonder if the USA and Europe divisions test separately for the different markets, and maybe the USA division is more thorough or stringent in what they accept?  The European list is much longer which tells me they started testing much earlier.  Could some of those cards now considered bad at one point in the past have been OK?

To bad tomuo isn't hanging here anymore.  This is probably something he would have some knowledge of.

EDIT: The European media list is from Feb 3.  But the reference manual is the old version, whereas the USA site has an updated one.  Looks like the two divisions don't do everything the same.
http://www.tascam.eu/en/downloads/current/DR-70D
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 12:00:11 AM by voltronic »
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 12:08:16 AM »
To bad tomuo isn't hanging here anymore.  This is probably something he would have some knowledge of.

And this is why it simply doesn't pay to be internet tough guys with product reps.

Be Nice.

If you want your gear to work, even if it's *their* fault, WORK WITH THEM!!!!!
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015, 01:04:28 AM »

And this is why it simply doesn't pay to be internet tough guys with product reps.

Be Nice.

What he said!
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201, um70S; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, CMBI (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh30, mkh40, md421, md431, md541; audix m1290
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia TD-1 and HV-32P, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, grace V2, DAV BG1
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters/monitors: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, zoom f8 & F8n pro, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8, Neumann KH20

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2015, 04:39:23 AM »

Be Nice.

Tomuo wasnt treated with kid gloves some wanted him to be.  Should i be the one to remind you or him that customer service requires a thick skin?. But could you please go back in this thread and point out where he wasn't treated nicely or where people weren't trying to work with him?  Sorry if you can't accept the fact that most here were unsatisfied that tascam wasnt doing as much as possible to address their concerns, and some were challenging their responses, but stop putting the blame on members here for Tomuos departure.  We all have useless recorders and many feel like we're getting the runaround from Tascam.  The revelation yesterday of the larger list of media (with cards that have been shown not too work) is additional evidence of this.  While I'm also sorry to see him go, he left of his own choice.  Tascam seems to view customer service as a luxury to customers more than a basic service.

By the way, speaking of challenging peoples responses, I'm looking over your gear list and don't see a dr70d listed... do you even have any skin in this game?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 05:21:51 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2015, 05:10:13 AM »
The idea that HD video is more of a data rate than high-res audio is a common misconception.  The individual frames of HD video are pretty small megapixel-wise.  Still high-res photography is probably more taxing, especially if you're shooting in burst mode, and according to Tom, audio recording is more stressful than both.

Maybe, although I would like to see a reference.  Four channel 24/96 is 1.1 MB/s; I think HD is more.  Of course, if Tom says otherwise...

I chose randomly a hi res video camera and looked in the manual.  Canon Vixia HFS10 has 32gb of built in flash memory
MXP Mode - 2hr 55min
FXP Mode - 4hr 10min
XP+ Mode - 5hr 45min
SP Mode - 9hr 35min
LP Mode - 12hr 15min

So at the lowest resolution, the data consumption rate is something less that 3gb per hour (32gb/12.25hr).
At the highest resolution, the data consumption rate is a little over 10gb per hour (32gb/3hr)

Since audio eats data at around 1hr per gb at 24/48 for 2 channels, at the highest audio rate of 24/96 and 4 channels, the peak data usage rate of the DR70D rate is something close to 4gb/hour.  At 24/48 the rate of course is 2gb/hr.

Conclusion:  There's some overlap, but in general HD video uses more data than HD audio.

OK, but is the camera writing that data in chunks or in one continuous stream?  That was the point I was raising - obviously HD video is writing more data over a given period of time on average, but it's not necessarily continuous.  I think that's where Tom was headed with his comment I linked a few posts up.  As I understand it, recording PCM audio is more of the constant-stream variety.

Honestly, what's the difference?  Time scale, I suppose.  All things digital are sampled, so nothing is truly continuous.  Heck, that is one of the knocks on digital recordings from the purely analog guys.  Audio samples more frequently, but at far lesser complexity, than video.  For audio, it is one integer per channel per sample.  I don't really know much about video recording, but I guess you need at least two integers (color and saturation) per pixel per sample.

It is my understanding that the chunks are more difficult to write than the "continuous" data anyway.  Note that class 4 and 6 are described as being suitable for full HD, but only at class 10 do they add "consecutive recording of HD stills".  Something about bus speeds.  By contrast, I have a friend who has been recording four channel audio to a class 2 card for years without a hitch (and that's actually a microSD in an adapter).

And thanks for looking that up, tonedeaf...

Offline Life In Rewind

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2015, 08:16:16 AM »

Be Nice.

Tomuo wasnt treated with kid gloves some wanted him to be.  Should i be the one to remind you or him that customer service requires a thick skin?. But could you please go back in this thread and point out where he wasn't treated nicely or where people weren't trying to work with him?  Sorry if you can't accept the fact that most here were unsatisfied that tascam wasnt doing as much as possible to address their concerns, and some were challenging their responses, but stop putting the blame on members here for Tomuos departure.  We all have useless recorders and many feel like we're getting the runaround from Tascam.  The revelation yesterday of the larger list of media (with cards that have been shown not too work) is additional evidence of this.  While I'm also sorry to see him go, he left of his own choice.  Tascam seems to view customer service as a luxury to customers more than a basic service.

By the way, speaking of challenging peoples responses, I'm looking over your gear list and don't see a dr70d listed... do you even have any skin in this game?

One poster was a little kooky - but that's normal and to be expected in a (largely) unmoderated forum like this...(wonder if he was ever approached about being a site supporter - which a lot of manufacturers here seem to be)

But - I agree - TASCAM Rep should have held his ground - and made more of an appeal for information...before blaming the users for being too dumb to "use the right card."

Now his tact seems even worse in light of the list from the TASCAM EU site...that list is more like what you would expect.

How can they account for such a huge discrepancy!? Certainly such a huge change in operating spec would warrant some sort of notice?

Let me guess...The TASCAM DR-70DmkII!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 08:34:50 AM by Life In Rewind »

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2015, 09:21:34 AM »
One possible reason for the different lists is maybe the recorders are different between the US/NA and European markets. Several manufactureres have different feature sets for different markets (eg, time-limited vs will record video as long as there is space on the card cameras for one example), usually due to different legal requirements (not infringing on someone else's patent). Different feature sets for different marketing regions. That is why you often see "grey market" products available from "non-authorized" sellers. Most manufacturers won't service a "grey market" product.

Personally I think most of you are reading too much into the differing lists; seeing a conspiracy when none is present. I also think most of you need to be more patient than you currently aren't. Fixes take time. While Tascam may have been slow to acknowledge a problem, now that they have give the engineers some time to isolate the cause and (hopefully) produce a fix.

Offline Chomps

• Trade Count: (18)
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2015, 09:58:39 AM »
following card talk is fun ;D
Microtech Gefell m200/M20/M21/nBob Actives>PFA
Microtech Gefell m950
AKG 414 XLII
Telefunken M60/M61/M62
AT853
SD MP 10ii//Edirol R-44/Sony M10

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2015, 01:02:13 PM »
One possible reason for the different lists is maybe the recorders are different between the US/NA and European markets. Several manufactureres have different feature sets for different markets (eg, time-limited vs will record video as long as there is space on the card cameras for one example), usually due to different legal requirements (not infringing on someone else's patent). Different feature sets for different marketing regions. That is why you often see "grey market" products available from "non-authorized" sellers. Most manufacturers won't service a "grey market" product.

IE: the Sonosax SX-R4+.

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2015, 02:51:26 PM »
I own a Dr70d, and mine isn't useless, because I purchased a card on the approved list.

I also think that Tascam could do better, but I care more about being happy than right. So my approach is to try to be nice to the people who might be able to solve the problem.

Be Nice.

Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.124 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com