Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: coax>optical converter  (Read 6853 times)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
coax>optical converter
« on: March 14, 2015, 11:45:37 PM »
thinking of holding onto my d50 to use with my ad2k.

years ago when i tried coax>optical converters i had mixed results

whats new out there?
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline Life In Rewind

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
Re: coax>optical converter
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 09:16:36 AM »
thinking of holding onto my d50 to use with my ad2k.

years ago when i tried coax>optical converters i had mixed results

whats new out there?

Since we've entered the HDMI era - I doubt there are any new products for that task.

So - dig out the HOSA 276 or the CO2...can't say I ever had a problem with them...

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 09:59:11 AM »
The d50 requires the output framing have the sample rate defined - this is a newer addition or a more complete interpretation of SPDIF framing

Because of this the d50 will only work fully with AD's that output this information - if the AD doesn't you can either only lock A signal at 44.1khz or none at all

The only 2 AD's I know of that work with the D50 are the V3 with firmware update and the USBpre2

The AD2k may work with a format converter but I would borrow one first to see if it will work at all

The Tascam hd-p2 should be fine with the AD2k and you can find these used for less than $300 occasionally on ebay

The tascam DR-100mkii has the same issue as the D50
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 10:55:45 AM »
thats super helpful, thanks. i have a CO2 if i an find the dang power supply for it. i wonder if i went thru my R500 if that would count, just as a test
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline H₂O

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 08:10:12 AM »
Doesn't hurt to try but I don't know if that would be an accurate test

The d500 only supports up to 48khz and I don't know the topology between the coax in and optical out
LMA Recordings

List

Offline melrorecording

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • https://archive.org/search.php?query=Ross%20Figved
    • ebay store
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 09:50:24 PM »
check monoprice.com i have one I use for my macpro works great
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=2947&seq=1&format=2
only 12.97
Mics: Matched rode nt5 with stock card, omni , and MJE-384K "Roadster" - Capsules /  AKG C 414-ULS/SE Special Edition Stereo Set / Line Audio 2xOM1 2xCM3, Rycote WS
Stands & Mounts: SRS SHAPEWAYS MIC CLIPS ORTF,NOS,DIN, XY for rode, ortf & Wide ORTF for Line Audio / Grace Design blumlein Bar / GAK omni bar/ Bogan, nu-era, and impact Stands
Shock Mounts: Shure, Rycote, Line Audio 
Petrol,porta brace Bags
Pre's Sound Devices 442, 2X neve 5012 portico, Grace Design V3
A\D Mytek STEREO192 ADC X2
Deck: HDP2 X2, H4, DR-05, Motu 8 pre, DR-680MK2v, HS-P82
Battery's: tekkeon MP3300 X4, Naztech PB15000 X6, GAK power cables
GAK Custom mic cables

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 09:42:50 AM »
if i remember right, the co2 is not bit perfect and the hosa box is. if that matters

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 11:40:56 AM »
My D50 wouldn't take a signal from my D10 Pro through a Hosa box. 
A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 02:45:55 PM »
if i remember right, the co2 is not bit perfect and the hosa box is. if that matters

The CO2 is just fine - there is no logic in these devices...bit perfect isn't applicable here.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 04:35:20 PM »
The CO2 is just fine - there is no logic in these devices...bit perfect isn't applicable here.

This goes way back, but if memory serves (and only if one even cares about bit-perfect digital format conversion):

There were multiple anecdotal experiences with the CO2 + various combinations of other gear producing bit-imperfect digital format conversions.  To the best of my knowledge, no one ever confirmed the root cause:  source device, cable, CO2, destination device.  Additionally, I'm unaware of anyone testing the CO2 under any conditions and producing a bit-perfect result.  Doesn't mean it can't be done, I'm just not aware of anyone doing so.

So while there may not be any logic in these devices, that doesn't mean bit-perfectness isn't applicable within the broader context of the combination of gear used together.  (After all, digital format converters aren't used in isolation...there's always other gear involved.)

For what it's worth, of this, I'm certain:  I tested the Hosa ODL-312 (AES/EBU > optical S/PDIF) and ODL-276 (coax S/PDIF to optical S/PDIF) under at least a couple of different gear combination scenarios, and they proved bit-perfect each time.  Whether those tests would hold up with different, or more current gear, I have no idea.

I'm not saying do or do not use the CO2 (or any other digital format converter, for that matter).  But if bit-perfectness matters, it would be prudent to test the combination of gear to confirm whether it does, or does not, produce bit-perfect results.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline H₂O

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2015, 05:11:51 PM »
This goes way back, but if memory serves (and only if one even cares about bit-perfect digital format conversion):

There were multiple anecdotal experiences with the CO2 + various combinations of other gear producing bit-imperfect digital format conversions.  To the best of my knowledge, no one ever confirmed the root cause:  source device, cable, CO2, destination device.  Additionally, I'm unaware of anyone testing the CO2 under any conditions and producing a bit-perfect result.  Doesn't mean it can't be done, I'm just not aware of anyone doing so.

So while there may not be any logic in these devices, that doesn't mean bit-perfectness isn't applicable within the broader context of the combination of gear used together.  (After all, digital format converters aren't used in isolation...there's always other gear involved.)

For what it's worth, of this, I'm certain:  I tested the Hosa ODL-312 (AES/EBU > optical S/PDIF) and ODL-276 (coax S/PDIF to optical S/PDIF) under at least a couple of different gear combination scenarios, and they proved bit-perfect each time.  Whether those tests would hold up with different, or more current gear, I have no idea.

I'm not saying do or do not use the CO2 (or any other digital format converter, for that matter).  But if bit-perfectness matters, it would be prudent to test the combination of gear to confirm whether it does, or does not, produce bit-perfect results.

What about the CO-3?
LMA Recordings

List

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2015, 01:19:29 AM »
optical schmoptical

my new (to me) pmd-661 is making me love my ad2k again

Offline connloyalist

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2015, 05:06:06 AM »
If I were to want to buy a S/PDIF optical to coax (and vice versa) converter today, what would you recommend? The HOSA ODL-276 or M-Audio CO2 aren't available anymore as far as I can find.

Regards, Christine

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2015, 10:20:36 AM »
If I were to want to buy a S/PDIF optical to coax (and vice versa) converter today, what would you recommend? The HOSA ODL-276 or M-Audio CO2 aren't available anymore as far as I can find.

Regards, Christine

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ns=p_PRICE_2%7c0&ci=14832&setNs=p_PRICE_2%7c0&N=4294550053&srtclk=sort

I've never had any experience outside of the CO2 (which gave me drop-outs) and the 276 (which I still use)...  I'm not sure any of the cheap ones are "bit-perfect"... 

I would put an ISO (in search of) on YardSale and wait a Hosa unit...  Or try Ebay/Amazon...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline philR

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2015, 12:33:08 PM »
I've got a hosa odl 276 sitting in my closet. Make me an offer.
Neumann AK40 > LC3KA > KM100 > V2 > 744t

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com