Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Olympus LS-12 Digital PCM-Recorder - own device playback speed inaccuracies?  (Read 2899 times)

Offline Pittylabelle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
I'm very happy with my Olympus LS-12 Digital PCM-Recorder, but recently I noticed a strange phenomenon,
what I never noticed before:

It may be true that the playback of that device itself has inaccuracies in playback clocking? Or is this a general
or common problem of devices like that?

During my homerun from a Rock concert and to check and listen to my stealth recording, I plugged the recorder
via AUX jack-in in my car radio. First I thought, oh shit something strange happend to my recording.
The playback clocking sounds like an old tape recorder with little speed variations due to a low battery status.

(BTW, the same is true if you listen via headphones or if the device is plugged into a hi-fi system.)

At home again, I saved the recorded file as usual to my PC harddisc. Everything is fine - perfect playback.

I have no idea. ???
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 06:59:38 AM by Pittylabelle »
Current Gear:
Microphone: Soundman OKM Rock "Special Variant" (binaural)
Recorder: Olympus LS-12

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Digital is digital.  There should not be any speed variations. 

Some of them do have playback controls where you can change the playback speed though.  Maybe check the menus of controls and make sure if there is one the playback speed or pitch setting is set flat or turned off
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline mepaca

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taperssection member
Did you accidentally enact the variable playback speed? If during playback you hit the OK button and then press + or - buttons the playback speed will change. The + and- buttons usually control the volume. (page 43 of the manual)

Offline Pittylabelle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Did you accidentally enact the variable playback speed? If during playback you hit the OK button and then press + or - buttons the playback speed will change. The + and- buttons usually control the volume. (page 43 of the manual)

Wow, great - yes that was the problem!

I guess at some point, I accidentally enact the variable playback speed by hitting the OK button two times during playback, just before I wanted to change the volume only. :banging head:

So, my standard playback speed was accidentally set to "x1.2 Play" - btw, the normal position is "x1.0 Play".

At "x1.0 Play" it sounds correct!

Not very user-friendly or intuitive the interface of this device.

Nevertheless, I'm still wondering about this strange "speed variations effect" if you change the speed - because, as bombdiggity already said: "digital is digital". It indeed sounds "droning or hurdy-gurdy" if you change the speed, apart from the normal "x1.0 Play".

Anyway, thank you very much again bombdiggity and mepaca for the quick help!!! :cheers:

Michael

« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 08:39:33 PM by Pittylabelle »
Current Gear:
Microphone: Soundman OKM Rock "Special Variant" (binaural)
Recorder: Olympus LS-12

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.625 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com