Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices USBPre 2  (Read 128405 times)

Offline bhadella

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Toiling away the day...
    • http://db.etree.org/bhadella1
Re: Sound Devices USBPre 2
« Reply #360 on: October 17, 2011, 11:10:37 AM »
My USBPre 2 just developed an issue where one of the led lights (showing Line 2s AUX being selected) always stays on.   I've heard of SD leds burning out but never staying on all the time.  I'm going to send her back in as it is still under the warranty period.   Has anyone ever encountered this before?   
"Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. "

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #361 on: November 30, 2011, 09:06:56 AM »
DISCLAIMER:
My problem is that I need access to the SPDIF Output AND INPUT jack to allow the unit to be synced to another SPDIF signal.  If you do not care about that issue then you fine numerous right angle cords that would work for you.  Those cords all block access to the RCA SPDIF input jack. 8)

Since I found out that it looks like all premolded right angle USB cords are laid out wrong for my uses, I thought I'd post the solution I found.   One thing that has been driving me crazy is the USB cord to poweer the unit in a bag out in the filed.  The straight plugs was always getting in the way or just applying too much interference and/or pressure on the jack.  The USBS-2.0 right angle plugs are all oriented the same way it seems.  In fact almost every right angle plug including the 3.0 versions are the same.  I found this plug:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/390368013249?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
Which is actually USB-3.0 version.  This is not only a much lower profile than a straight plug it also takes full advantage of the robust 3.0 style jack SD uses AND it exits down from the jack not horizontally.  It's 10 bucks on E-bay.  I'll post some pictures on the pre once I get it in hand
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 09:21:14 AM by kirkd »

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #362 on: November 30, 2011, 11:20:16 AM »
DISCLAIMER:
My problem is that I need access to the SPDIF Output AND INPUT jack to allow the unit to be synced to another SPDIF signal.  If you do not care about that issue then you fine numerous right angle cords that would work for you.  Those cords all block access to the RCA SPDIF input jack. 8)

Since I found out that it looks like all premolded right angle USB cords are laid out wrong for my uses, I thought I'd post the solution I found.   One thing that has been driving me crazy is the USB cord to poweer the unit in a bag out in the filed.  The straight plugs was always getting in the way or just applying too much interference and/or pressure on the jack.  The USBS-2.0 right angle plugs are all oriented the same way it seems.  In fact almost every right angle plug including the 3.0 versions are the same.  I found this plug:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/390368013249?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
Which is actually USB-3.0 version.  This is not only a much lower profile than a straight plug it also takes full advantage of the robust 3.0 style jack SD uses AND it exits down from the jack not horizontally.  It's 10 bucks on E-bay.  I'll post some pictures on the pre once I get it in hand

Nice.  I too had this issue.  I also had the issue of wanting the "big" end to be RA so I could run into a Tekkeon but also use it to power my deck.  I ended up going with a Ted custom solution after the POS movable one I bought crapped out. 

Thanks for the link.... This should also serve most folks' purposes.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

kirk97132

« Reply #363 on: December 12, 2011, 07:07:11 PM »
Pics of USB 3.0 on the preamp. Should work great! Here is ebay link:
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 05:19:45 AM by kirkd »

Offline Charlie Miller

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Come On, Get Happy
« Reply #364 on: December 13, 2011, 11:23:45 AM »
Looks nice!  Isn't a TS member running one of these aready?? 

I started running the USBPre(1) back in 2001. It was very light and felt cheap, which is odd for Sound Devices. I liked the pre-amp, but ended up only using it as a Coax>USB converter. It powered off of the USB port, iirc. It also was limited to 16bit, I think.

The USBPre2 looks a lot better. Glad to see that they realized that they could do better.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 03:04:03 PM by Charlie Miller »
Audio Engineer & Archivist for Steve Kimock Productions

Schoeps CMC6/MK4, AKG 460/CK61, AKG C34
Sound Devices 744T
Dante Multitrack Rig

kirk97132

« Reply #365 on: December 13, 2011, 11:36:22 AM »

I started running the USBPre(1) back in 2001. It was very light and felt cheap, which is off for Sound Devices. I liked the pre-amp, but ended up only using it as a Coax>USB converter. It powered off of the USB port, iirc. It also was limited to 16bit, I think.

The USBPre2 looks a lot better. Glad to see that they realized that they could do better.
The Pre-1 was only able to be used with USB power and computer drivers.  It would not do standalone.

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #366 on: December 13, 2011, 12:58:14 PM »
When was the USBPre released?  I thought it was around 2003?
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #367 on: December 13, 2011, 02:18:04 PM »
I haven't dug deep in the thread yet....   but does anyone successfully power the USBPre 2 off of the Tekkeon USB output?  Thanks.
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #368 on: December 13, 2011, 02:19:57 PM »
I haven't dug deep in the thread yet....   but does anyone successfully power the USBPre 2 off of the Tekkeon USB output?  Thanks.

Yep. Acidjack has been doing this for as long as he's owned both units.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #369 on: December 13, 2011, 02:21:25 PM »

I have as well. (722 off of the main out and the usbpre2 off of the usb slot)
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Charlie Miller

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Come On, Get Happy
« Reply #370 on: December 13, 2011, 03:05:05 PM »

I started running the USBPre(1) back in 2001. It was very light and felt cheap, which is off for Sound Devices. I liked the pre-amp, but ended up only using it as a Coax>USB converter. It powered off of the USB port, iirc. It also was limited to 16bit, I think.

The Pre-1 was only able to be used with USB power and computer drivers.  It would not do standalone.

I didn't even know that '2' does that. I think I need to pick one up.

Audio Engineer & Archivist for Steve Kimock Productions

Schoeps CMC6/MK4, AKG 460/CK61, AKG C34
Sound Devices 744T
Dante Multitrack Rig

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #371 on: December 13, 2011, 03:27:20 PM »
Yup, v.2 runs circles around the original USBPre.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #372 on: December 13, 2011, 03:29:37 PM »
Yup, v.2 runs circles around the original USBPre.

which is sort of why we have a 25 page thread that needs a part 2.  ;D
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #373 on: December 13, 2011, 06:31:56 PM »

I have done this as well. You don't even need the tekkeon, a $5 plastic USB sled with four AA does the same thing. USB power is pretty cool!

Thanks Kirk for posting this cable, VERY handy if you don't have 1-2 feet to comfortably keep the cable and pre in a bag.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #374 on: December 14, 2011, 09:29:43 AM »

I have as well. (722 off of the main out and the usbpre2 off of the usb slot)

Cool thanks fellas!  I'm thinkin about jumpin on board.
So....   this has the same (or very similar) pre amp and ADC as the 744 correct?  I'm lookin to use it for the ADC mainly. 
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.121 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com