Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: External power for Edirol R-4?  (Read 7541 times)

Offline vegas06

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
External power for Edirol R-4?
« on: May 25, 2006, 11:05:11 AM »
I am about to purchase an Edirol R-4 for event production, and was wondering where I might be able to get an external battery box for longer record times.

I am familiar with sonicstudios.com, but the box is $250, and it looks like it's a pain in the butt to order from them, as there is no online/credit feature, only mail etc.

So what is everone's solution for external power for my soon to be new R-4 unit?

I am planning on running the R-4 with a matched pair of AT NT5's on a T stand in stereo configuration, as well as (for additional ambiant audio) either (1) AT822 or AT835ST, or (2) AT897's. 

Thanks,
Michael
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 11:31:26 AM by vegas06 »

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Need battery box for Edirol R-4!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 11:19:07 AM »
A battery box usually refers to a device that provides bias power to (typically mini) microphones.  I think what you're looking for is an external power source for the R-4.  I and many others are using 9v lithium batteries marketed for portable DVD players.

Three specific brands / models of which I'm aware:  Lenmar DVD-U9, Initial RB-270, Memorex  (sorry, forget the model #)

Keywords to use for finding them on eBay or Froogle:  universal, DVD, lithium

Make sure you <a> get the 9v version (some are 7.2v), and <b> don't forget to reverse the polarity on the power plug to your R-4.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline vegas06

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 11:29:35 AM »
A battery box usually refers to a device that provides bias power to (typically mini) microphones.  I think what you're looking for is an external power source for the R-4.  I and many others are using 9v lithium batteries marketed for portable DVD players.

Three specific brands / models of which I'm aware:  Lenmar DVD-U9, Initial RB-270, Memorex  (sorry, forget the model #)

Keywords to use for finding them on eBay or Froogle:  universal, DVD, lithium

Make sure you <a> get the 9v version (some are 7.2v), and <b> don't forget to reverse the polarity on the power plug to your R-4.

"don't forget to reverse the polarity on the power plug to your R-4."

This may sound stupid, but how do you reverse the polarity?
I am a video/sound guy, but not an electrician.

Also BTW, would I use a Radio Shack adapta plug with the battery?  I got a reply on my other thready from sleepy on this.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 11:54:25 AM »
This may sound stupid, but how do you reverse the polarity?

Not stupid at all.  Most devices (including the li-ion batteries in question) are wired so the tip is (+) and the ring is (-).  The R-4, like the UA-5, is tip (-), ring (+).  So to reverse polarity simply swap the two wires in the battery cable.  For example, the cable may have a red wire (usually +) and a black wire (usually -).  Simply cut the cable and splice the red wire to the black wire, and the black wire to the red wire.  This will reverse the polarity.  Please note:  make sure you test with a multimeter to ensure you have the polarity correct before hooking up to the R-4.

Also BTW, would I use a Radio Shack adapta plug with the battery?  I got a reply on my other thready from sleepy on this.

The RS adaptaplug is one option.  Another is to hack the stock R-4 connector and wire it into the battery cable.  A third is a DC plug other than RS's "adaptaplug", but with the same specs (OD 5.5 mm, ID 2.1 mm) - places like Mouser probably carry similar plugs as well.
Roland R-05

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
Re: External power for Edirol R-4?
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 12:19:46 PM »
If you're clueless about wiring this up (like I was), I found the adaptaplug a very simple and straightforward solution albeit not the cheapest one. You should note that powering the R4 is EXACTLY the same as powering the UA5, same voltage and same cable connections including the reversed polarity. Anyway, there is a thread somewhere around these parts that explains in detail which plugs to get for each side of the adaptaplug. So, go find that thread if you want to go that route.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline balou2

• Crippled, but still dancin'
  • He was a friend of mine.
    • Little Mountain Sound Archive
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006, 03:40:18 AM »
I thought the R-4 was 12V?
Socks are overrated.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2006, 08:15:05 AM »
9-12v
:)

most universal DVD batteries have a cable w/a modular end.  reversing polarity is as simple as putting the tip on backwards.
very simple.  you could do it by mistake and get it right, its so easy.

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Taperssection All-Star
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2006, 11:26:54 AM »
I thought the R-4 was 12V?

I've been literally using the exact same battery and cable from my UA5 without a problem for about 40 hours of recording at this point.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2006, 02:44:49 PM »
Here's a copied and pasted PM I sent someone explaining the R4 external power issues, using backwards adaptaplugs.

I powered it using a 9v Lithium-Ion DVD battery. Use that and get an adaptaplug cable and adaptaplugs "B" (for the end that connects to the battery) and adaptaplug "M" (for the R4 connection) from Radioshack.

One thing though, one of the 2 adaptaplug ends has to be put on in reverse polarity. Both the cable and each plug will have the positive (+) and negative (-) sides labeled. Just put onee of them on backwards.

It'll run the R4 for at least 8 hours, probably longer but I never tried...
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Taperssection All-Star
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2006, 03:08:39 PM »
I've run mine 4 hours straight with the LED on the entire time and still had two dots left on the battery's led's...

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2006, 03:11:28 PM »
Just as a side note you can use standard RC batteries.  I'd been using 9.6v 3000mah for my UA-5 and they work fine for the R-4.  You can even use the same cable  Plus you can get around 4 rc batteries and a charger for a little more than the walmart type of batteries.  The only downside is you don't get the 4 lights on the front that show charge level.

(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2006, 03:15:02 PM »
you can get around 4 rc batteries and a charger for a little more than the walmart type of batteries.  The only downside is you don't get the 4 lights on the front that show charge level.

With what capacity per batt, what charge time, at what price?  I used to run RC batts for my UA5, but recall the capacity of the RC batts was much lower, with far slower charge time, and ultimately not any cheaper.  But it's been a while since I looked at both options, so maybe the market's changed a bit.  Curious about your specific experiences...

FWIW, if you look around enough, you can find the Li-Ion batts for ~$20-30 on eBay, Walmart clearance, etc.
Roland R-05

Offline china_rider

• Taperssection All-Star
    • AZTapers
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2006, 03:50:16 PM »
you can get around 4 rc batteries and a charger for a little more than the walmart type of batteries.  The only downside is you don't get the 4 lights on the front that show charge level.

With what capacity per batt, what charge time, at what price?  I used to run RC batts for my UA5, but recall the capacity of the RC batts was much lower, with far slower charge time, and ultimately not any cheaper.  But it's been a while since I looked at both options, so maybe the market's changed a bit.  Curious about your specific experiences...

FWIW, if you look around enough, you can find the Li-Ion batts for ~$20-30 on eBay, Walmart clearance, etc.

I had never used the lenmar battery (walmart type) with my UA-5 since mmmMatt included it with my new R-4 purcahse (thanks mmmMatt you rule). So I can not really make a direct comparison.  However, with the UA-5 I would get +5 hours of run time on one RC battery. (Supplying phantom to the mics.)  When I got the wmod UA-5 from jdawg I was able to find a package deal with 4 of the RC batteries (9.6v 3000mAh) and fast charger for about $50 + shipping.  The charger had fast and trickle charge settings... Trickle took overnight but fast took < 1hour and would switch to trickle when done so it does not harm the battery.  So at least for the ua-5... safely 20 hours of power plus a fast charger for around $50.

I have not used the lenmar battery and r-4 in the field yet... Hank Williams III should be the first on Monday, but in recording the stereo at home to test the unit I was able to record for about 4 hours when the battery indicator hit the 1/2 level mark.

Offline china_rider

• Taperssection All-Star
    • AZTapers
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2006, 07:26:28 PM »
OK... Ran the R-4 off a 9.6v 3000mAh RC battery till it ran out.  Recording 4 chan at 24/96 providing phantom to each chan I got right at 5:30 recording time.

Offline bdasilva

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Use to be a Fishhead
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2006, 10:02:26 AM »
Dana... (sorry to hijack this thread..) Have you tried running the 480s straight into the R4??? Tho I do like that 480 w-mod sound.
Cad E300S set.. AT822  AKG C 414 B-XLS/ST  
Dorsey-Mod MK-012 w/ O, C, H and RED L/D Caps
Superlux S502 ORTF   LSD2
Silverpath  Cables> 
Tascam DR-680MKii    DR- 680 (X2)   Tascam DR-40     Sound Devices USBPre    SONY  PMD-M10   Zoom F8

"Buy a Taper a Drink... Prime the Pumps of live Music"

On the "music" side of the "Music Business"

Offline china_rider

• Taperssection All-Star
    • AZTapers
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2006, 11:48:52 AM »
Not yet... Will probably try at Al Howard on Friday.

EDIT: Whoops... Not Friday... Forgot I'm going to Laughlin.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 12:57:37 PM by china_rider »

Offline china_rider

• Taperssection All-Star
    • AZTapers
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2006, 11:27:24 PM »
OK... Ran the R-4 off a 9.6v 3000mAh RC battery till it ran out.  Recording 4 chan at 24/96 providing phantom to each chan I got right at 5:30 recording time.

OK... Second test... Ran the R-4 off a 9v 5400 Lenmar DVD battery that mmMatt sent with the R-4.  I got about 8:40 before the R-4 shut down.  Have seen these new for around $55.  Did not look hard you may be able to find them cheeper.  One thing I really like about it is the LEDs on the front to indicate how much charge is left. 

Over all, when I got my UA-5, I was able to get 4 of the RC batteries + charger for the same price as the Lenmar.  If mmMatt  did not send the Lenmar I would be perfectly happy with the RCs.  However, for my everyday taping I will probably use the Lenmar (the LEDs are really nice.)  For festivals or other times when I may not be able to charge I will probably just bring everything with me.

Bottom line... for a typical show both a single 3000 mAh RC or a Lenmar type dvd battery should be more than enough power.

Offline JiB97

• Trade Count: (12)
    • My Archive Bookmarks
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2006, 10:39:55 PM »

OK... Second test... Ran the R-4 off a 9v 5400 Lenmar DVD battery that mmMatt sent with the R-4.  I got about 8:40 before the R-4 shut down.  Have seen these new for around $55.  Did not look hard you may be able to find them cheeper.  One thing I really like about it is the LEDs on the front to indicate how much charge is left. 

Over all, when I got my UA-5, I was able to get 4 of the RC batteries + charger for the same price as the Lenmar.  If mmMatt  did not send the Lenmar I would be perfectly happy with the RCs.  However, for my everyday taping I will probably use the Lenmar (the LEDs are really nice.)  For festivals or other times when I may not be able to charge I will probably just bring everything with me.

Bottom line... for a typical show both a single 3000 mAh RC or a Lenmar type dvd battery should be more than enough power.
Dana, this is the battery I use to power up my UA-5 and JB3.  They can be had for like 30 bucks shipped.  I'll try and dig up the link for that.
AKG ck3/ck8 | c460b  + Naiant Actives | PFAs
Audio Technica u853r (omnis/mini-guns)
Tascam DR-70D

My Archive Links

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.097 seconds with 46 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com