Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Please recommend a reliable DVD battery for the Edirol R-44.  (Read 4750 times)

Offline One Cylinder

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
Please recommend a reliable DVD battery for the Edirol R-44.
« on: October 19, 2011, 03:25:17 PM »
I've gone through all the threads I can find on this subject and, unfortunately, haven't been able to come up w/ specifics. I'm pretty much on the shortbus in the remote power arena and would really appreciate some detailed info - specific brand of DVD battery, the model number (and the battery's specs, if it matters.)  Any R-44 users out there that could share some info on which batteries are working well for them? FWIW I'd prefer to find a battery that would provide power for 3, or more, hours, when the R-44 is providing phantom power on 2 channels, and taking in a digital signal on the other 2 channels.

TIA
Schoeps MK4(x2) MK21(x2)
Schoeps CMC6(x4) CMC1K(x2)
Sonosax SX-M2, Grace Design ACM Lunatec V3
Roland OCM R-44

Offline bhadella

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Toiling away the day...
    • http://db.etree.org/bhadella1
"Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. "

Offline One Cylinder

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Please recommend a reliable DVD battery for the Edirol R-44.
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 05:46:57 AM »
>>> Thanks!
Schoeps MK4(x2) MK21(x2)
Roland OCM R-44

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 01:17:31 PM »
Other than used, that's about the best deal you're going to find on these DVD batteries at this point.  There was a time when they could be had for $10-$15 but most manufacturers stopped making them.  I don't see the spec in the listing, but ideally you want 5400 mAh which will provide power for a good amount of time.  Btw, most likely none of the adapters and cables that come with it will play nice with the R-44 (the deck has the polarity reversed on the DC input).  Get an Adapt-a-Plug cable at Radioshack with "M" (R-44 end) and "B" (or whatever that particular battery uses) tips and that will work; keep the reverse polarity thing in mind.  Or, you could have Ted make you a cable.  His stuff is top-notch.

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 01:54:27 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/Lenmar-DVDU923-Universal-Battery-Portable/dp/tech-data/B0011MZORU/ref=de_a_smtd

These batteries are about half the capacity of what is commonly called a "DVD battery" on TS. The DVD battery we all use is 5400mAh to 6000 mAh.  The one listed is 23Wh which equates out to 2555mAh.  IF you really watch eBay you can get the DVD batteries but the go for about $50 now.  It's probably better to buy a Tekkon or something else similar to that.  For slightly more than fifty bucks you get larger capacity

Ah = W divided by V
for mAh multiply by 1000
23Wh/9V = 2.555555 times 1000 = 2555mAh

Here is Ebay link $50 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Portable-DVD-Player-External-Battery-/140621610468?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20bdb37de4 These are 6900Mah
http://www.ebay.com/itm/new-Universal-Portable-DVD-Player-External-Battery-/370545600688?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56463d28b0 These are 4300mAh versions
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 02:11:35 PM by kirkd »

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 01:57:25 PM »
Regarding the Amazon link, I believe that battery is going to be the 2700 mAh version which is OK, but the smallest capacity DVD battery you can buy. If you're running 4 channels of phantom on the R44, it might not last all that long (2-3 hours maybe?... totally guessing here). Not a deal breaker, but thought you should be aware.

You'll have to balance your need for a high mAh battery vs. their availability. It is becoming exceedingly difficult to find the 5400 mAh or high varieties.

Offline One Cylinder

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 02:27:16 PM »
"If you're running 4 channels of phantom on the R44, it might not last all that long (2-3 hours maybe?... totally guessing here). Not a deal breaker, but thought you should be aware."

>>> Thanks for the heads up. Most likely I'll be using (only) 2 channels, and no phantom power. (The R-44 will be receiving a digital feed from my A/D, which is powered from a different source.) But, I'll certainly look into the batteries w/ more juice as I'd rather keep the run time-related stress to a minimum.   ;)

Schoeps MK4(x2) MK21(x2)
Roland OCM R-44

Offline One Cylinder

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 02:41:48 PM »

>>> Would this work? If so, I wonder if I can find it @ my local Wal-Mart?

Ultralast e-Boost Lithium-Ion Universal Portable DVD Player Battery.  5400mAh/9V

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ultralast-Lithium-Ion-Universal-Portable-DVD-Player-Replacement-Battery/9863775

Schoeps MK4(x2) MK21(x2)
Roland OCM R-44

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 02:53:51 PM »
The ebay link I provided above has a larger capacity battery for $20 less

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 03:50:05 PM »
Regarding the Amazon link, I believe that battery is going to be the 2700 mAh version which is OK, but the smallest capacity DVD battery you can buy. If you're running 4 channels of phantom on the R44, it might not last all that long (2-3 hours maybe?... totally guessing here). Not a deal breaker, but thought you should be aware.

Regarding run times, I have the 5400 mAh DVD batteries (a little more than twice the capacity of the one listed in the Amazon link) and I regularly run 4 channels of phantom power, 2 of those going to LD mics (a pair of AKG 414's).  On average I'll have my R-44 and the mics powered up for around 4 hours at a given show and it's very rare that the meter on the DVD battery drops more than 1 light (of four) by the end of the night.  Granted, this is just my experience and not scientifically tested but I wouldn't be surprised if you could get 4 hours out of the 2600 mAh battery running 4 phantom channels.  YMMV.  Keep in mind that you should always keep AA batteries in the R-44's tray as well in case your external power supply runs out of juice or gets disconnected.  Cheap insurance as the R-44 will automatically and seamlessly kick over to the internal batteries if that happens.

All that said, I would take kirkd's suggestion, pay the extra $20 and spring for the 6900 mAh version on eBay.  You'll get plenty of time out of that one.

Offline One Cylinder

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 05:55:09 PM »
>>> Good advice. Thanks!
Schoeps MK4(x2) MK21(x2)
Roland OCM R-44

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.229 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com