Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: EDIROL R-44 (PART IV)  (Read 115570 times)

Offline ethan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Go Buffs!
    • COTapers.org
Re: EDIROL R-44 (PART IV)
« Reply #330 on: October 21, 2011, 12:38:04 PM »
Besides less channels how does the R-44 compare to the Tascam DR-680? They're basically the same price new.
COtapers.org - "We're higher than your average taper"

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #331 on: October 21, 2011, 01:05:48 PM »
Besides less channels how does the R-44 compare to the Tascam DR-680? They're basically the same price new.

Just left a response to your query over in the 680 thread but will repeat here for academic purposes:

This is a lightning rod for debate and has been covered in other threads (a few listed below).  From what I've seen, heard and read, the quick rundown is that the 680 is capable of making great recordings and its stock mic pres are as good as/better than the ones on a stock R-44's.  The source of contention appears to be the 680's reliability.  Some owners have reported no problems and that it's a wonderful machine, while others have had a myriad of issues including the S/PDIF not working correctly, powering problems and a channel or the whole deck just crapping out.  As always, YMMV.  For my money and peace of mind, I'm sticking with the R-44; 3 years later and the only problems I've ever had with it were caused by me.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=138280.0
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=140606.0
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=145206.0
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=149806.0
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=123284.msg1910944#msg1910944

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #332 on: October 23, 2011, 05:47:59 AM »
I'm sticking with the R-44; 3 years later and the only problems I've ever had with it were caused by me.

My R-44 had one channel die on me yesterday when testing at home.  Or so I thought.  After much swapping of cables and demonstrating to myself that it had to be a dead channel, not a dead mic or cable, I realised that the digital level knob for that channel was all the way down...

« Reply #333 on: October 23, 2011, 02:10:45 PM »
I'm sticking with the R-44; 3 years later and the only problems I've ever had with it were caused by me.

My R-44 had one channel die on me yesterday when testing at home.  Or so I thought.  After much swapping of cables and demonstrating to myself that it had to be a dead channel, not a dead mic or cable, I realised that the digital level knob for that channel was all the way down...

:yack:  I've had the same exact scenario happen to me. [wipes egg off face]

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #334 on: October 24, 2011, 12:10:54 PM »
What? you went digital? ;)

How much was the 16 gig card?

Always been digital  ;)

Er, it was Office Depot for $70...

That's kind of high. I bought my 16GB cards at Wally World for about $25 each on sale. Watch the ads! I just bought two class 4, 8GB cards at Big Lots for $10 each. Those will hold an average nights worth of music.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline Popmarter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #335 on: November 11, 2011, 03:46:10 AM »
YEAH, got me a r44! Secondhand, like new!  ;D ;D

Quick question. As I do not have new (xlr)-mics yet. Can i use my AT831 mics with a minijack? With an xlr-adapter?

Correct me if i am wrong, but i won't be needing the batterybox (JKlabs, 3 gain + 9v), right?
Recorders: Zoom F3; SD MixPre 3 II; Sony A10; Edirol R44; Sony M10; Sony WM-D6; iRiver IHP-120; Sharp MD-MT20; Sharp MD-MT190
Microphones: Schoeps MK41; Nevaton MC59/S (cards); Milab VM-44 Links (cards), AT853 7.4mod (cards); AT831 (cards); Nakamichi CM300 (all CP's); Soundman OKM II Rock Studios
Preamps: Beyerdynamic MV100; JK Laboratories DVC-X-17b; Naiant IPA; Nakamichi MX-100 modded for 9v battery use ; Baby Nbox

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #336 on: November 11, 2011, 01:10:36 PM »

Quick question. As I do not have new (xlr)-mics yet. Can i use my AT831 mics with a minijack? With an xlr-adapter?

Correct me if i am wrong, but i won't be needing the batterybox (JKlabs, 3 gain + 9v), right?

pretty sure that would be fine.  the only thing i see that might be a problem is possibly sending too much power to the mic.  but someone might know more than me, that's for sure.
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline Popmarter

• Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #337 on: November 11, 2011, 01:50:34 PM »

pretty sure that would be fine.  the only thing i see that might be a problem is possibly sending too much power to the mic.  but someone might know more than me, that's for sure.

Well now, that is what i worry about a bit. Heard about that too, so if someone could explain this, that would be nice...
Recorders: Zoom F3; SD MixPre 3 II; Sony A10; Edirol R44; Sony M10; Sony WM-D6; iRiver IHP-120; Sharp MD-MT20; Sharp MD-MT190
Microphones: Schoeps MK41; Nevaton MC59/S (cards); Milab VM-44 Links (cards), AT853 7.4mod (cards); AT831 (cards); Nakamichi CM300 (all CP's); Soundman OKM II Rock Studios
Preamps: Beyerdynamic MV100; JK Laboratories DVC-X-17b; Naiant IPA; Nakamichi MX-100 modded for 9v battery use ; Baby Nbox

« Reply #338 on: November 11, 2011, 02:06:20 PM »
How are your AT831's terminated: stereo pair into a single 1/8" stereo plug, individual XLR's, etc?

Offline Popmarter

• Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #339 on: November 11, 2011, 04:38:06 PM »
How are your AT831's terminated: stereo pair into a single 1/8" stereo plug, individual XLR's, etc?

Stereo pair into a single 1/8" stereo plug it is...

« Reply #340 on: November 11, 2011, 04:56:20 PM »

Ok.  If you run them by using a 1/8" stereo jack split into two XLR's into your R-44 and turn on the phantom, you will probably fry the mics.  I don't know what the result would be (ie: any signal) if you tried running them sans phantom or if you put a battery box in between the mics and the R-44 to power them but it might be worth a try. 

Another option that will work is to buy a Naiant PFA, which steps down 48v phantom power from the recorder to a voltage that your mics can handle.  It's also made by a member of this board, Jon a.k.a. mshilarious.

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #341 on: November 11, 2011, 05:07:34 PM »

Another option that will work is to buy a Naiant PFA, which steps down 48v phantom power from the recorder to a voltage that your mics can handle.  It's also made by a member of this board, Jon a.k.a. mshilarious.

You MUST do this. You will absolutely damage them at some point by accidental exposure to phantom power. The Naiant PFA guarantees that they will always see the proper voltage anytime you plug them into an R44 or a mixing console that supplies phantom power.

A battery box with DC blocking capacitors might also work, but it may not prevent voltage spikes. The PFA has been tested under all sorts of horrible conditions to ensure it never ever supplies more voltage than it should.

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #342 on: November 11, 2011, 08:06:22 PM »

Ok.  If you run them by using a 1/8" stereo jack split into two XLR's into your R-44 and turn on the phantom, you will probably fry the mics.  I don't know what the result would be (ie: any signal) if you tried running them sans phantom or if you put a battery box in between the mics and the R-44 to power them but it might be worth a try. 

this is what i use, although i bought mine from soundpros, much cheaper (no offense to Jon of course).

edit:  well, it's been about 6 years, but i remember only paying like $35 for mine.  looks like they've gone way up for some reason...?

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-ADD-XLR-PHANTOM-PAIR

if i were buying today, i'd go with Jon's stuff.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 01:03:30 PM by justink »
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline Popmarter

• Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #343 on: November 12, 2011, 01:26:24 PM »

this is what i use, although i bought mine from soundpros, much cheaper (no offense to Jon of course).

edit:  well, it's been about 6 years, but i remember only paying like $35 for mine.  looks like they've gone way up for some reason...?

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-ADD-XLR-PHANTOM-PAIR

if i were buying today, i'd go with Jon's stuff.

Thanks all, I will check out Jon's and SP's but not hook them up directly to the r44. Good advice!

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #344 on: November 15, 2011, 12:18:39 PM »
Jon's Niant PFAs have worked really well with the R44 [edit] with every recorder I've plugged them into (R44, DR680, 722) in my experience.  I ran two pair of them into an OCM R44 for a very compact mobile FOB rig at Bear Creek this last weekend and chose that specific combo because 'it just works'-  simple and reliable in tough conditions.  Stongly endorsed here.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 04:00:37 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.218 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com