Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony's new $600 recorder PCM-D50  (Read 113475 times)

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Sony's new $600 recorder PCM-D50
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2007, 03:54:53 PM »

That would make this box less interesting to the ENG/reporter crowd.  Why would Sony want to do that?

It will satisfy everyone if the mics were detachable (like the MR-1 and MT). And also maybe even better to make it as a $100 accessory. Why would Sony not want to do that?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 03:57:07 PM by scyue »
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2007, 04:00:43 PM »
Looking at the online manuel, it gets excellent battery life.  They claim 20 hours at 24/96 without monitoring, the D1 got maybe 6 hours at best.  A useable 8 GB memory stick would make this a killer.

Jeff

Offline danlynch

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • nyctaper
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2007, 04:42:28 PM »
looks like there is a 6'wired remote and a dead rats wind screen available as extras.

Anyone know the what the buttons are on the remote? I guess one of them is a REC.

Looks interesting... shame about the mics...don't think anyone here will use them. They could have made it detachable like the MT or the MR-1.

Seems Marantz is in the competition, too with their new portable Marantz PMD620....Don't know if that has digital in - anyone know?

From the preliminary spex, it would appear that the PMD 620 does not have any digital in.

This item, the Sony PCM-D50 seems to only have an optical in, which kind of sucks for us Mini-Me owners. 
Founder and Host of NYCTaper:  http://www.nyctaper.com

Microphones:  Schoeps CCM4Us, Sennheiser MKH-8040s, Neumann KM-150s, Neumann TLM-102s, DPA 4061s
Recorders:  Sound Devices 744t, Edirol R-44 (Oade Concert Mod), Edirol R-05
Pre-Amps, D/A's:  Apogee Mini-Me

My Recordings on Archive.org: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/danlynch

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2007, 06:53:57 PM »
Curious how you would run Optical in without an outboard AD?

you wouldn't.  as with all S/PDIF inputs, you'd need to do the A/D conversion elsewhere.

I may be wrong... but I would imagine that it has an internal A/D.
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2007, 07:30:46 PM »
I think what we are starting to see is the next generation of improved all-in-one recorders.  Generally these all-in-ones with the mics are definitely are targeted to a ENG user, BUT SONY gave a little nod to the field recorder with the digi-in, let's hope that they follow thru.  I don't mind the built in mics, they are handy, like others have said, if the need arises to plop it down on a table or pull the old "Statue of Liberty" to capture an event.  Maybe if they made that a modular component, then it would be a killer (not to mention a SONY specialty item, which they love to market with their products).

I want to see some metering for the remote and some transport controls, any photos of the said "Remote Commander" remote?  When paired with a Lemosax or vms02ib, this will be a Schoeps st**thers dream machine .

I actually am glad that SONY is leading the wave on the next gen.  We would have been nowhere without them in the 90's, 80's and 70's.  They always had affordable and highly functional recorders.

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2007, 09:10:11 PM »

you wouldn't.  as with all S/PDIF inputs, you'd need to do the A/D conversion elsewhere.

I'm sure this new Sony deck has an internal A/D.  and if it sounds anything like their PCM-D1 recorder, it'll sound very nice.  but his question was about about using the optical input.  By definition, the optical input is an S/PDIF input.  if you are already sending the deck an S/PDIF signal, then you need to do the A/D conversion somewhere else.

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2007, 10:12:44 PM »
Did the D1 use the "super-bit-mapping", SBM, in its A>D?

Because this is what the D50 specs say it uses.

As far as those little mics, what really would have been killer is if they were detachable, then revealing an XLR jack!  We use some AKG panel mics that are about the size of the mics on the D50, and you plug them directly to an XLR...oh well, you can't have everything...yet.

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2007, 10:58:21 PM »

I'm sure this new Sony deck has an internal A/D.  and if it sounds anything like their PCM-D1 recorder, it'll sound very nice.  but his question was about about using the optical input.  By definition, the optical input is an S/PDIF input.  if you are already sending the deck an S/PDIF signal, then you need to do the A/D conversion somewhere else.

Ahhh......  got ya!!! 
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2007, 12:36:56 AM »

Can you make a fair assesment on how that A>D sounds versus the other 24bit resolution A>Ds?  If it is anything like the previous semi-pro devices, we are in luck.  The M1 and SBM-1 was a mainstay for us and I can see this being the case here too.

Did the D1 use the "super-bit-mapping", SBM, in its A>D?

Because this is what the D50 specs say it uses.

As far as those little mics, what really would have been killer is if they were detachable, then revealing an XLR jack!  We use some AKG panel mics that are about the size of the mics on the D50, and you plug them directly to an XLR...oh well, you can't have everything...yet.

I think the SBM will only be applied for the 16bit WAVs, it is a 24 > 16bit dithering and noise shaping filter.

XLR jacks are basically an impossibility on a device of that size.  Thus you have SONY's clever/stupid marketing in the XLR-1 for your XLR and phantom power needs.  Or you may choose a PS of your choice....without the SONY mark-up.

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2007, 12:47:58 AM »
I think the SBM will only be applied for the 16bit WAVs, it is a 24 > 16bit dithering and noise shaping filter.

Correct.  The D1 has this option also, selectable on the menu.

Jeff

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2007, 12:53:43 AM »
Availability?  Distributor estimated three weeks, but this sounds like a guess.  Sound Professionals said they'd have them up for pre-order on their web site tomorrow.

Jeff

Offline Arni99

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2007, 09:32:24 AM »
looks like there is a 6'wired remote and a dead rats wind screen available as extras.

Anyone know the what the buttons are on the remote? I guess one of them is a REC.

Looks interesting... shame about the mics...don't think anyone here will use them. They could have made it detachable like the MT or the MR-1.

Seems Marantz is in the competition, too with their new portable Marantz PMD620....Don't know if that has digital in - anyone know?

From the preliminary spex, it would appear that the PMD 620 does not have any digital in.

This item, the Sony PCM-D50 seems to only have an optical in, which kind of sucks for us Mini-Me owners. 
the manual says it has optical in AND optical out.
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline danlynch

• nyctaper
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2007, 01:16:51 PM »

the manual says it has optical in AND optical out.

My post was unclear.  The "only" was not about in/out (you are absolutely correct) but that its "only" optical, and not coax.  My reference to the Mini-Me is because its digital out is an s/pdif coax.

Stupid question: is there a coax > optical digital cable?
Founder and Host of NYCTaper:  http://www.nyctaper.com

Microphones:  Schoeps CCM4Us, Sennheiser MKH-8040s, Neumann KM-150s, Neumann TLM-102s, DPA 4061s
Recorders:  Sound Devices 744t, Edirol R-44 (Oade Concert Mod), Edirol R-05
Pre-Amps, D/A's:  Apogee Mini-Me

My Recordings on Archive.org: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/danlynch

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2007, 01:21:49 PM »

no, not just a cable.  there are small portable, battery powered converter boxes, like the Hosa ODL-276.  but not just a simple cable.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2007, 01:22:45 PM »

Not that I know of...  I've used a Hosa ODL276 for this conversion.  Its a bit perfect, 9vDC, small box (3"sq.) that should run you about $30...

Terry

PS beat me to it, Jason!

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.14 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com