Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: cable tester  (Read 8385 times)

Offline phil_er_up

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
cable tester
« on: January 12, 2014, 10:17:35 AM »
Hi all,

Remember reading on TS that there is a device you can buy to test your cables if they have a short or just to have confidence all your cables are working properly. Spent awhile searching today on TS and can not remember what the cable testers are called and if anyone has a link to one would even be better.

Thanks.

Have a great 2014.

-p
Everyday is a gift. Enjoy each one!
Forward motion bring positive results.

Offline danny3

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: cable tester
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 10:39:23 AM »
This one is inexpensive and has served me well so far:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=245573&Q=&is=REG&A=details

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 11:17:15 AM »
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline Erick del Valle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • what about this pair of stealthy mics?
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 02:33:08 AM »
+1
Erick del Valle
Santiago de Chile

Offline phil_er_up

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 08:04:00 AM »
Thanks all. Will be buying one this week.

Offline sos

• Trade Count: (56)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 03:57:08 PM »
That's what I use.

About as good as an endorsement can get!   ;D
Mics
AKG:  Naiant actives (CK61/62/63-ULS) & C568 B
Audio-Technica:  AT853 (all caps)
Nakamichi:  Franken Nak(s): CM-300 (CP-1/2/3) & CM-700 (CP-701/702)
Primo:  EM4052PMI4 (CP-3)
Pres  Naiant: littlebox (v. 1.5/ot) & tinyboxes (v. 1.0 & 2.5)
Decks  Sound Devices: MixPre-10T | Sony: PCM-A10 | Roland: R-05 & R-09HR
Juice  Krisdonia LiPo 50k (NJF-5X) | LADDA rechargeables | Powerex MHC9000

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 04:57:25 PM »
How about this..
Every taper should have one of these.

And FWIW it has a bonus feature of functioning as a handy 440Hz & 1kHz test tone generator.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline phil_er_up

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 07:54:32 AM »
How about this..
Every taper should have one of these.

Agree gutbucket.

Mine is arriving today...

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 02:15:54 PM »
What a clever piece of kit. I'm going to get one of these too.

Offline phil_er_up

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 03:42:09 PM »
Just got it today. Ordered it from G U I T A R C E N T E R due to they due not require signature for delivery and I ordered it Monday and it arrived today. They gave me a 10% percent discount too not really sure why. Plus free shipping so got it all for $26.03

It is heavier then I thought. Feels well built. You need 2 double A's and fired it up. 3 page manual and a short read. Plugged in one of my cables and was easy to use.  Figure I can use this for my recording, Home stereo and instrument cables that I own. Never have to guess again if it is a short. This is a GREAT invention.

PS: Won't have to send as many packages to Ted to check for shorts though might have to receive more... :)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 03:48:03 PM by phil_er_up »

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 05:24:40 PM »
This is one piece of Behringer gear worth buying.

I had some cables that appeared fine on visual inspection, but the cable checker indicated they were bad.  Probably a problem somewhere in the cable run.  Saved me from going out to record with a defective cable. 

I'm going to look ignorant, but if anyone could please explain the usefulness of the tone test generator, it would be appreciated. 

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 05:28:52 PM »
I can think of a few uses for a tone generator.

1. Testing a cable run with transformers inline. (isolated splits for example) the transformer will block simple continuity testing, but pass an audio signal.

2. matching preamp levels. Since the tone generator outputs a consistent level you can use it to match preamp input gain.
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2014, 05:50:54 PM »
Scoob beat me to it..
The test tone generator is useful for adjusting gain levels though a signal chain.  It outputs a sine wave at a constant level. 

I've used that to figure out how much gain an outboard preamp is adding at a certain setting by plugging the tone generator directly into the recorder input and noting the level on it's meters, then doing the same with the preamp between the tone generator and the recorder and again noting the level on the recorder's meters.  The difference between the two is the gain of the preamp. BTW, this thing doesn't mind plug-in-power across it's output. Same thing can be done to find the unity gain levels though a device.

A more arcane application- I use it when I record with the ambisonic Tetramic, which requires exact gain matching across all 4 channels for the software decoding that is done later on a computer to work properly.  Before a recording session I set the gains on the R44 to where I think they'll need to be, then send a test tone through each channel and adjust the fine gain trim controls on the R-44 until I get identical AC voltage readings on each channel output RCA.   That gets me 'close enough' to play around with decoding the files on the computer without having to match-adjust the signal level of the files first in an editor.  I also record about 10 seconds of test tone on each channel after I get home, which allows closer matching in an editor than the voltmeter technique.  Doing that is especially important if I didn't guess right on the gross gain setting beforehand and needed to change the gain settings at the gig.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 01:44:32 AM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2014, 05:54:10 PM »
This is the probably the most useful mode of this thing-

It's good for checking for obviously bad cables, but the huge advantage of this thing over using a test light or ohmmeter is the continuity test function which can catch very short intermittencies in the cable itself, the solder joint to the connector, a dirty contact, or simply a loose and worn-out connector that can otherwise be aggravating to chase down.

Plug in the cable, reset the indicator lights on the box with the push button, then wiggle the cable around every-which-way while watching for any indicator lights switching on.  The lights latch-on until reset again indicating even a very quick break.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2014, 09:55:11 PM »
Most enlightening.   Thank you.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.126 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com