Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Purple Panda Lav Mic with Tascam DR 07, decent setup for concert audio?  (Read 4282 times)

Offline vr46

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
So I have a Tascam DR 07, and from what I think the internal mic's do not produce a sound good enough to use them at a rock concert.

I understand that phantom powered mic with battery box etc is the best setup..

But is there a decent setup possibility with regular external mic's? I've seen the purple panda microphone at amazon getting decent reviews, but is it decent for concert audio recording? I will be sitting at the front close to the stage.

I read about the church CA-14's too, a lot more expensive, but does the job I guess..

Does anyone have a recommendation about any of these cheaper lav mic's? Or should I forget the idea of getting decent audio with these?

Thanks in advance!

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Purple Panda Lav Mic with Tascam DR 07, decent setup for concert audio?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 01:34:36 PM »
You might be able to make a decent recording using that Purple Panda mic.  The primary factor is always going to be whether you're in the best location for making a recording.  Assuming you get in that spot, a wide range of gear can make a great recording.  It doesn't need to cost a ton of money.  Hell, you could make a decent recording with internals if the other variables line up in your favor (in the right location, the internal mics don't get overloaded, etc).

If you want my two cents, I'd say don't throw money at an unknown like this.  Sure, it might work, but if it doesn't you're out that money and it would be tough to make it back by selling the mic used.  Instead, I'd keep saving so you can pick up something that has been tested in the field.  Listen to recordings on Live Music Archive that use mics within your price range after a reasonable amount of saving.  Keep an eye on the Yard Sale here for used gear at a discount.  Again, you don't need something expensive (though your own listening may draw you to expensive mics, in which case you'd better start saving).

One thing to remember is that most microphones are not designed for recording music at a distance in an audience.  Also, most people buying mics and reviewing them on popular sites like Amazon or B&H will likely be using the mics for their intended purpose (studios, field interviews of speech, etc), so you'll have to take reviews with a grain of salt if you intended to use the mics for audience recording.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 01:59:18 PM »
I agree with Heathen. If you have $30 to potentially throw away there is no harm in trying...except you may not get any better recording than you would out of your recorder's built in mics. Keep in mind as well that this type of mic is sold as a "stereo" mic but is just a single mic duplicating the one channel. You don't get actual stereo separation between channels - that may or may not be a big deal to you. I have an on camera mic made by Movo that has made decent recordings at about the same price but honestly the only benefit over using the internal mics on my recorder is that I can position the external mic more easily to get better sound.

If I were in the same situation I would hold out for a pair of AT 853 or similar inexpensive small mics that have been proven to perform under the circumstances you plan to use them. Until then I would just use the internals on the recorder. AT853s with the 4.7K mod usable for plugging straight into a recorder or battery box pop up here used all the time.

Also - don't confuse Phantom power (+48V) with Plug In power (usually +3-9V provided by recorder input). They are two totally different beasts.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 02:02:21 PM by goodcooker »
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline vr46

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 03:31:31 PM »
I agree with Heathen. If you have $30 to potentially throw away there is no harm in trying...except you may not get any better recording than you would out of your recorder's built in mics. Keep in mind as well that this type of mic is sold as a "stereo" mic but is just a single mic duplicating the one channel. You don't get actual stereo separation between channels - that may or may not be a big deal to you. I have an on camera mic made by Movo that has made decent recordings at about the same price but honestly the only benefit over using the internal mics on my recorder is that I can position the external mic more easily to get better sound.

If I were in the same situation I would hold out for a pair of AT 853 or similar inexpensive small mics that have been proven to perform under the circumstances you plan to use them. Until then I would just use the internals on the recorder. AT853s with the 4.7K mod usable for plugging straight into a recorder or battery box pop up here used all the time.

Also - don't confuse Phantom power (+48V) with Plug In power (usually +3-9V provided by recorder input). They are two totally different beasts.

Thanks, I'll look into the AT 853, and see what similar mic's are available :)

Yea I am sitting at the front row so maybe have a chance of getting a decent recording with the right microphone that does not cost a fortune! Thanks so far and if more advice and tips pops up, I'll be more than happy if they are posted here  :cheers:

Offline vr46

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 03:57:46 PM »
Just came across the Audio Technica ATR3350IS. Looks like it has a small battery powering it as well..

Could this mic do decent in recording concert audio from front row? It's not that expensive and might be the cheaper solution I need.. Just want to know if anyone has experiences with this one.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 04:00:46 PM by vr46 »

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2018, 03:58:57 PM »
There's a set of Church Audio mics in the Yard Sale. People pull some pretty good recordings with those and they would certainly be an upgrade over the Purple Panda.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2018, 04:13:40 PM »
Just came across the Audio Technica ATR3350IS. Looks like it has a small battery powering it as well..

Could this mic do decent in recording concert audio from front row? It's not that expensive and might be the cheaper solution I need.. Just want to know if anyone has experiences with this one.

from the product description - " engineered for intelligible, accurate voice reproduction. This high-quality condenser is ideal for video use, and is a favorite choice for aerobics/dance/sports instructors. "

Not recording music.There aren't any specs on the site I looked at other than the frequency response (50 to 18kHz) which is decent and the open circuit sensitivity (-54) which means it's not particularly sensitive so it may work on loud sources.

I'm not a fan of recording from the front row of larger venues - if it's a wide stage and the PA is flown high above try to find a center fill speaker if there is one. Most importantly - have fun!
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline heathen

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2018, 05:08:31 PM »
Could this mic do decent in recording concert audio from front row?

What sort of music?  For a show in a medium to large venue that relies on a PA you might not be able to get a great recording from that close with any pair of mics.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline vr46

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2018, 01:13:24 AM »

What sort of music?  For a show in a medium to large venue that relies on a PA you might not be able to get a great recording from that close with any pair of mics.

Mark Knopfler, so some more relaxed songs and some with a bit more energy I guess :D

Offline heathen

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2018, 10:05:00 AM »

Mark Knopfler, so some more relaxed songs and some with a bit more energy I guess :D
I think you'll be better served holding out for mics that have been used by others and are a "known quantity."  If you go with this Purple Panda mic just know that you'll be in uncharted waters (as far as I know...maybe someone here has tried it and just hasn't popped into this thread yet).

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.099 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com