Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Light stand to Mic Mount, which adapter(s) do I require?  (Read 3864 times)

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
Light stand to Mic Mount, which adapter(s) do I require?
« on: October 19, 2011, 01:19:28 PM »
Hey everyone:

I've got a light stand which I purchased here:
http://vistek.ca/store/ProPhotoLightingStands/200410/studio-lighting-system-medium-light-stand-black-4section-max-10ft.aspx

This past summer, I ran a clamped mic mount at the top of my stand but thought something a little more suitable for my mics (DPA 4061/CA-14 cards) would make sense.  I was looking at the following mount in the two foot version:
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-GNA-2

Does anybody know how I would go about finding out which adapter(s) I would require to get me from the light stand to the SoundPros mount?  And, more importantly, where would I find them?

Thanks in advance!

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
Re: Light stand to Mic Mount, which adapter(s) do I require?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 01:27:46 PM »
Manfrotto 014-38, $10 at B&H will fit on your top pin and give you a 3/8 thread (euro mic mounts)
K&M 215 1/2"F & 3/8"F to 5/8"M, $2.50 each will adapt that 3/8 thread to 5/8 - 27 which is the american mic mount standard.

The manfrotto unit is nice as it also let's you mount at a 90 degree angle.
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 06:42:48 PM »
Pretty much what ScoobieKW said.  That is, provided the Sound Professionals mount has a base or is it just the T-bar itself?  It doesn't show the whole item in the picture which is confusing.  If it does come with a 5/8" base, then the Manfrotto Rapid Adaptor (with a 3/8" to 5/8" adapter) is the way to go.

Another suggestion I'll make for the 3/8" to 5/8" adapter is the On-Stage MA300.  Serves the same function as the one Scoobie recommended but has an outer flange along its base which will keep in from getting lodged up in the base of the T-bar (if it's possible) and, not shown in the picture, has a slot in the bottom so you can unscrew it with a coin if it does get overtightened.  Comes down to what style you prefer.  It's also a better deal as you get 2 of them for $2.99.

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 07:02:58 PM »
Thanks guys.  EDIT: Chris has confirmed it's a 5/8" mount on the SP-GNA-2.  Seeing that the bar is bendable and I don't see myself moving to anything more expensive/larger for the forseeable future, the option provided by Fried Chicken Boy might make sense (that's what my friend ended up doing with his).   B&H has good prices, generally, but I gotta see if I can find these locally as the shipping cost + taxes and duty to Canada are killer. 
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 09:27:08 PM by adrianf74 »

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 07:06:34 PM »
Thanks guys.  I've put in a quick email to Chris at Sound Professionals to clarify the mount on the GNA-2.  Seeing that the bar is bendable and I don't see myself moving to anything more expensive/larger for the forseeable future, the option provided by Fried Chicken Boy might make sense (that's what my friend ended up doing with his).   B&H has good prices, generally, but I gotta see if I can find these locally as the shipping cost + taxes and duty to Canada are killer. 

Vistek.ca is a Manfrotto dealer, try them.

The Sound Professionals description for the bar lists both microphone mount (5/8) and camcorder (1/4),

Many light stands have a 1/4 inch thread on their top pin (I can't tell from the tiny picture in your link if yours does), so you may not need any adaptors.

even so, getting the Manfrotto Rapid Adaptor and the 3/8 to 5/8 adaptor lets you use this with any stand or clamp combination. Think hanging from a rail or balcony. 
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 07:11:42 PM »
Tips vary, and I've seen all of the following at some point or another:  1/4" male thread, 3/8" male thread, 5/8" male thread, 5/8" stud, 5/8" male stud w/ 1/4" male thread, 5/8" male stud with 3/8" thread.

Until we know what the top of your stand looks like, it's all guesswork.  If you can tell or show us what the top of your stand looks like, it should be easy to recommend the appropriate adapter(s).
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com