Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SCH544 twist-vials for storing caps... or?  (Read 2511 times)

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
SCH544 twist-vials for storing caps... or?
« on: July 08, 2014, 07:22:37 PM »
Hey Everyone,

I've done some poking around and after picking up a pair of MK41's that came in the plastic vials, I've come to realize that transporting them to and from shows might not be the best thing to do in those.   I know people have mentioned the SCH544's ("Clear plastic twist-vial for CMC amplifier storage") and I was wondering if those are a better option.

Likewise, if anybody has a coupe of extras I'm potentially interested.  I know I can order them from Redding but the shipping costs are pretty steep on a small item such as these (I'd probably buy four just to have them) unless somebody has a better suggestion (EDIT: which seems to be the case).   Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 09:34:03 PM by adrianf »

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
I leave mine on the cables, in a padded bag, with windscreens on. I dunno, after 500+ recordings things seem OK here  :) There's much more danger from dropping a cap trying to screw it onto the cables. Remember that these are only precious objects to people like us; film and music studios use and abuse 'em every day. Not that I recommend abusing them, but unscrewing the caps from the cables/bodies is not helpful. In addition to the aforementioned drop risk, there's also the fact that you might strip the threading on the caps from repeated use.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

adrianf74

I leave mine on the cables, in a padded bag, with windscreens on. I dunno, after 500+ recordings things seem OK here  :) There's much more danger from dropping a cap trying to screw it onto the cables. Remember that these are only precious objects to people like us; film and music studios use and abuse 'em every day. Not that I recommend abusing them, but unscrewing the caps from the cables/bodies is not helpful. In addition to the aforementioned drop risk, there's also the fact that you might strip the threading on the caps from repeated use.

Okay... fair enough, AJ.   I've also read a lot of people do what you're doing with no adverse effects.  Call me nuts but I'm used to putting my CK6x caps with couplings away in Otterbox 1000's (unfortunately, that method no longer works with my new gear).  I did come across this one:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=135021.msg1762267#msg1762267

I just like the idea of putting my gear into something before putting it in my gear bag.

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
Lately I've been leaving my MK5's on my KCY and inside DPA UA0896 screens in my bag in a place they won't get squeezed.

In the past I was keeping CK6x caps on Naiant actives and MK5s on KCY in a Pelican 1060. both with small windscreens on them and an extra piece of foam in the box. Takes up a lot of space but works great.

I did the same thing, keeping caps in vials during transport for a couple shows but realized they were more at risk with me screwing and unscrewing them and getting dropped or something than if I took care of them attached to a body or the KCY, coupler, etc.

Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

adrianf74

Thanks for that advice.

My general practice has been to take off the muppets and put the UA0896's back in their boxes, put the caps back in their vials, and put the active cables in the small AT screens I use for not-so-open shows.   I guess I could revise this because I'm also concerned about dropping the darn things (because they're that small) so maybe it would make more sense to do this:

Cut off the top flaps of the UA0896 boxes and store the caps/collettes in the screen in the box and then wrap the cable out of the top and loop it (gently) into another compartment inside my Lowerpo Nova 4 AW bag -- OR -- would it just make sense to find a heavy duty Ziploc bag, put a desiccant package in it, and store them caps with the screens on that way?  I know some people talk about the foam breaking down and that that should be of concern as well. 

Verdict?

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: SCH544 twist-vials for storing caps... or?
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 10:36:31 PM »
Naiant AKG and MBHO actives are a breeze to store. Simply disconnect the actives+capsule from the cable coil and throw the expensive components into a padded drybox. Unfortunately, with just about every other active solution, including Schoeps, you don't get that luxury.

Unless you're bringing optional patterns, I would never recommend transporting capsules to/from a show in vials. Shows are dark, vials are small, and the risk of accident when screwing and unscrewing capsules on-location is far too great. And as AJ mentions, unscrewing them once home buys you nothing and risks stripping the threads. I've seen very old colettes where the threads have become brittle or chipped and changing capsules is actually dangerous, so it's best avoid wear and tear over time.

Nbox cables are really easy to store due to their small cable size. I recommend you grab a small sized pelican and store the caps still attached to the active cables together and never remove the caps unless you have a reason. Also keep in mind that at some point, they're going to get used and it's possible they'll get a few battle scars.

Don't ever store them long-term in screens. Day of show in a gear bag is fine, but long-term they do shed.

edit to address your original question: the SCH544 are long tubes meant for storing bodies, without the capsule. I suppose you could store the capsules in them with lots of foam, or maybe find a creative way to store two capsules in one tube, but they're really not meant for it. Only advanage, imo, for transport would be the larger size of the tube would be easier to locate and keep track of.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 12:11:22 AM by hi and lo »

adrianf74

Re: SCH544 twist-vials for storing caps... or?
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 10:47:30 PM »
Thanks Hi and Lo for the advice. 

I'm fully aware that my gear will get some battle scars over time; I'm just trying to figure the best solution for storing the caps when not in use and to best protect gear in transit.   I've become accustomed to not wrapping everything up 'perfectly' when tearing down so that I can get out reasonably quickly and then solving everything at home.

For the time being, I've got 4061's and the MK41's so there are no optional patterns (yet).  I'm sure in time that will change but not for a while as the 4061's do serve me well as my omni pair (even though I do find them a little brittle sounding compared to the MK41's).  I know people suggest not using foam in the pelicans for long-term storage - any suggestions there?

Thanks.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com