Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Schoeps CMT44  (Read 8968 times)

Offline aegert

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Schoeps CMT44
« on: January 12, 2008, 08:55:08 AM »
Has anybody used these Cards? (Schoeps CMT44)  Any notes? Let me know Thanks for any help!

Just impulsively bought a pair on ebay for $850...  Used in studio... they have 2 more

A :D
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 09:20:06 AM by aegert »
B&k 4022's > Grace Lunatec V3 > Self Built  Neutrik/ Mogami XLR to TRS > Korg MR1000

Schoeps CMT44's > Self Built Neutrik/ Tuchel 2 ch Snake > Switchcraft Phantom to T-power Adapters > Grace Lunatec V3 > Sound Devices 722

www.motb.org

The bus came by and I got on....

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Schoeps CMT44
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 04:18:06 PM »
aegert, these are T-powered microphones, so don't connect them to a phantom power supply. They are capable of really excellent performance if they're in good repair. And this series of microphones is still completely supported at the factory in terms of maintenance, etc.

I've attached JPEGs of the old catalog pages for this model (the 440 was its speech cardioid counterpart). This series used interchangeable capsules, but their fittings weren't the same as what was later chosen for the "Colette" (CMC) series, so unfortunately the only way to get other capsules for these microphones now is on the used market. CMT-series microphones can't use the "active accessories" of the Colette series, either. But the 12-Volt models (which yours are) do have very wide dynamic range and transformerless, very low-impedance output circuits similar to those of the Colette series.

This series was discontinued in the mid-1970s so the microphones are at least 30 years old, maybe even 35 to almost 40. You might send a note to mailbox@schoeps.de and ask whether your mikes have ever been back to the factory for repair; give them the serial numbers of the amplifiers and the capsules, and they can look them all up.

I can tell you that if I bought good used microphones of that age, I'd want to send them in for a checkup; I even do that for microphones that were manufactured relatively recently. A seller could be honestly unaware of certain things that might have happened to a microphone.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 05:23:02 PM »
This series was discontinued in the mid-1970s so the microphones are at least 30 years old, maybe even 35 to almost 40.
Not that it makes much of a difference, but I believe the cmt series mics were still being built in the 80's.

http://www.schoepsclassics.de/1965_cmt30_40_50.htm

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 05:50:38 PM »
Shawn, the CMT 50 series (48-Volt phantom powering with output transformer) was still being manufactured in the early 1980s, that's true. The CMTS 501 stereo microphone, which was part of that series, had some limited production even in the mid-90s. But I'm fairly sure that the 12-Volt models (the CMT 30 and 40 series) were discontinued just a few years after the Colette series was introduced in 1973.

The main reason for this is that the CMT 50 series microphones drew less than 1 mA apiece, while the (transformerless) 48-Volt Colette microphones drew 4 to 5 mA, which at the time was too much for many recorders, preamps and mixers. As a result Schoeps kept manufacturing the CMT 50 series for the sake of their customers who needed a lower-current microphone.

But the 12-Volt models were simply superseded by the corresponding Colette-series models (same numbering down the line, with "CMC" in place of "CMT"). They drew the same amount of current, had similar specifications and sound, and at the time, you could even have your CMT-series capsules from the 12-Volt series mounted in Colette-series housings when you changed over to the new amplifier type. A lot of film and video sound people did that because they wanted to use active cables, which were patented and still unique to Schoeps then.

--best regards
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 06:14:58 PM by DSatz »

Offline aegert

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 06:18:18 PM »
So is there a way to use the t-powered mic amp with a 12v. phantom or 48 v. phantom supply.. Is it possible to redirect the power pins in the bodies to make them 12v phantom not A-B? If not I am hosed LOL.. these were going to be a pair of mics we were going to loan out in the MOTB.org project to enable old time tapers to get out and record. I was going to pair this with an HD-p2 :-(

« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 07:16:34 PM by aegert »
B&k 4022's > Grace Lunatec V3 > Self Built  Neutrik/ Mogami XLR to TRS > Korg MR1000

Schoeps CMT44's > Self Built Neutrik/ Tuchel 2 ch Snake > Switchcraft Phantom to T-power Adapters > Grace Lunatec V3 > Sound Devices 722

www.motb.org

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 07:22:34 PM »
aegert, there are active adapters to let you run parallel-powered ("T"-powered) microphones from 48 Volt phantom powering, but you definitely have to use something like that, or else a real parallel power supply, sorry. There's no way to rewire the microphone. But there are plenty of used "T" power supplies available on the used market, because a lot of film and video people used to use this system back in the 1970s and 80s.

--best regards

Offline Jonathan Starr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 04:23:04 PM »
I bought the second pair of these from Clinton. Roger told me that you tested all 4 when you came in , and they were pretty close.

I actually wanted all 4, and contacted the seller Friday to make sure they were legit, and he asked me to wait till Monday morning to talk with him.

If they will work for you, I hope you enjoy them and they work great.

If not, I would still be happy to end up with all 4 for a surround matrix. They would be just the set for a freebie field job I am embarking on.

I am working on a multimedia surround project illustrating pre-contact life in Hawaii, which will run in most of the schools around the State.

Regards, & Aloha,

Jonathan Starr
kalepa@maui.net

So is there a way to use the t-powered mic amp with a 12v. phantom or 48 v. phantom supply.. Is it possible to redirect the power pins in the bodies to make them 12v phantom not A-B? If not I am hosed LOL.. these were going to be a pair of mics we were going to loan out in the MOTB.org project to enable old time tapers to get out and record. I was going to pair this with an HD-p2 :-(

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 05:02:28 PM »

as DSatz said you can use the barrel adapters...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/275819-REG/PSC_FPSC0010A_A4812_48V_to_12T.html

if you look around you can find them cheaper. I use a pair of them with my schoeps cmc4 bodies which also require 12t power. they work perfectly, and are really small. You can just hook them up to the end of your XLR cable and hide them safely away in your gear bag.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 05:04:42 PM by Shawn »

Offline Jonathan Starr

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 06:44:35 PM »
Roger from Clinton told me that the CMT44's came with inline adaptors for 48v phantom, similar to the ones from B&H. The 44's have din connectors, and apparently they come with din cables to connect the mics to the adaptors. The adaptors have xlr's on the preamp ends. I'm waiting for my 2 to arrive.

I just received a CMT 341 that I got from another source, that has been modified for 48v phantom. The seller told me it had been modified per Schoeps specs by changing an internal resisitor. Wonder if anyone knows about this.

The 341 just arrived, and looks brand new with the full accessory kit: box, shockmount and ball windscreen. Gotta clear my desk so I can go inside and try it.

Offline Jonathan Starr

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 08:30:47 PM »
BTW, the CMT 341 tested out nicely & sounds gorgeous !

Offline aegert

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 01:22:27 PM »
The 44's sound amazing.. They did come with Switchcraft t-power to 48v. adapters. The problem is with the din connectors. I will need to build new cables as one of the cables is not grounded and hums to the touch, big time interference, and the other is intermittent.

Nice mics . Sounded great on guitar...

www.motb.org

Offline Jonathan Starr

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 05:01:30 PM »
Would love to hear any more comments you have on the mics, A.

I'll give a review of mine when they arrive and I get some use on them.

Offline aegert

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008, 12:38:24 PM »
I fixed the cables and have a line on new connectors to build a 2 channel snake for low profile stereo cables.

I have yet to use int he field but recording guitar in my home they sounded great.... I will try to get out soon. Antibalas is playing 2 nights this weekend and might hit one I am sick today we'll see.

www.motb.org

Offline Jonathan Starr

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2008, 12:52:09 PM »
Per Uwe Sattler, Sennheiser/Neuman Tech Director, the inline adaptors are adequate for these mics. Conversion from 12v to 48v phantom involves only a resistor change, to limit the current. Thus the modification done to my 341 is valid and it is easy to internally adapt most 12v phantom (or 24v phantom) mic to 48v phantom by changing a resisitor.

3 pin Dins are wired differently from XLR. Pins are 1-2-3 going left to right with the middle pin up. Pin 1 is + and Pin 2 is Ground and Pin 3 is -.

Aloha,

Jonathan

Offline aegert

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2008, 01:09:08 PM »
Per Uwe Sattler, Sennheiser/Neuman Tech Director, the inline adaptors are adequate for these mics. Conversion from 12v to 48v phantom involves only a resistor change, to limit the current. Thus the modification done to my 341 is valid and it is easy to internally adapt most 12v phantom (or 24v phantom) mic to 48v phantom by changing a resisitor.

3 pin Dins are wired differently from XLR. Pins are 1-2-3 going left to right with the middle pin up. Pin 1 is + and Pin 2 is Ground and Pin 3 is -.

Aloha,

Jonathan

STOP DO NOT DO THIS DO NOT PASS GO!

THESE MICS ARE T-POWER not PHANTOM SO THAT WILL NOT WORK!

A :)

www.motb.org

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com