Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Got some new CA gear!  (Read 3965 times)

Offline EWizard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Got some new CA gear!
« on: December 14, 2015, 10:11:18 AM »
I got in on Chris' deal o the century in August and finally got the following items:
CA-14 Omni
CA-14 Cards
CA-9200 preamp
Upgraded cable (between recorder and preamp)

Now I have some questions.  I'm running a Sony PCM-M10.
I went out the backyard the other night and did some ambient recording.  Really pretty awesome setup!

If I was to record a loud rock concert I should probably use the Line In right?
I have been reading and it seems like the 9200 volume should be turned up all the way..
Do I set my M10 to ~4 on the knob, and turn up the gain control on the 9200 until I get to ~-12db on the meters?
And can anyone recommend a gain setting on the 9200 that works well for loud music (with CA-14 mics)?

Trying to get a good routine down that will get me set pretty well before I even walk into the venue.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 12:30:45 PM by EWizard »

Offline OhioHead

• Taperssection Member
Re: Got some new CA gear!
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 05:28:55 PM »
PM me if you wish, I have the same gear, usually have the gain +15 or next one up (based on show/room), line in, M-10 any where 3.5 - 5.

PM it goes to the eleven, he makes awesome bars for church Mic's without clips!!!!

Offline EWizard

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 05:34:03 PM »
I take it that you would usually go line in instead of mic in (for amplified shows) right?

Offline EWizard

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 05:41:30 PM »
Bummer, my mics (omni and card) have the clips attached.

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 02:39:08 AM »
As a hint, though you may have figured this out already - small mics can be clipped to either a ruler (or, in the case below, any piece of flat plastic with a hole in it), or a piece of 3/4 or 1" plastic pipe cut to DIN or ORTF length. The pipe can even be shock mounted in a single shock.

;D

UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline Humbug

• Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 04:45:03 AM »
Slightly out of focus, but you get the idea. The adapter (3/8 > 5/8" I think) screws down and holds the ruler (which in this case has a hole right in the middle) in place.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 04:47:54 AM by Humbug »
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline OhioHead

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 12:32:16 PM »
I take it that you would usually go line in instead of mic in (for amplified shows) right?

As I understand it (help me out other M-10 users!) always go line in for every recording, does not matter the mic, pre amp, etc. I "think" this is recommended b/c the sound/floor noise distortion is lower via line in vs. mic in......

I now run Telefunken ELA 260's > power supply > Naiant Littlebox 1.0 > line in M-10.

Online nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2015, 03:20:04 PM »

As I understand it (help me out other M-10 users!) always go line in for every recording, does not matter the mic, pre amp, etc. I "think" this is recommended b/c the sound/floor noise distortion is lower via line in vs. mic in......

I use CA-14 cards and an Ugly battery box, and go mic in on the M-10 for quieter shows. (My rule is "If I don't need earplugs, go mic in.") That's solely for headroom purposes — even at 9 or 10 on the gain dial, I can't get above -12dB going line in unless the music is pretty loud.

I haven't noticed any difference at all in terms of distortion between the two inputs, just gain.

Offline earmonger

• Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2015, 01:39:24 AM »
Line-in is for an amplified signal. The battery box barely amplifies (but enough to use Line-in for loud shows) while  the preamp most definitely amplifies. Mike-in adds a preamp to the circuit. So preamp into Mike-in would generally be way too much.

In fact, turning up the preamp all the way may well be too much. Blast your stereo a bit at home and play with settings.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 01:41:58 AM by earmonger »

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2015, 11:45:24 AM »
I got in on Chris' deal o the century in August and finally got the following items:
CA-14 Omni
CA-14 Cards
CA-9200 preamp
Upgraded cable (between recorder and preamp)

Now I have some questions.  I'm running a Sony PCM-M10.
I went out the backyard the other night and did some ambient recording.  Really pretty awesome setup!

If I was to record a loud rock concert I should probably use the Line In right?
I have been reading and it seems like the 9200 volume should be turned up all the way..
Do I set my M10 to ~4 on the knob, and turn up the gain control on the 9200 until I get to ~-12db on the meters?
And can anyone recommend a gain setting on the 9200 that works well for loud music (with CA-14 mics)?

Trying to get a good routine down that will get me set pretty well before I even walk into the venue.
gain settings on the 9200 between 10 db and 30 db max would be fine for load shows make sure you find out what unity gain is on your recorder. And get as much gain as you can from my preamp when going line in. I aim for around -10 to -8 db on the vu for recording because you always want some headroom in case things get quickly and unexpectedly loud ;) glad you like the gear. If you have any questions that you can't get answers here email me sales@church-audio.com with "technical help" in the subject line and I will get back to you with in 24 hours on a weekday and in weekends by the next business day.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline EWizard

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2016, 05:30:49 PM »
Thanks Chris

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com