Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MixPre (or MP-2?) users  (Read 5989 times)

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • it's recreational
Re: MixPre (or MP-2?) users
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2007, 10:08:05 AM »
landshark, are you using the "tape out" of the mix-pre, or the XLR line outs?

The tape outs have 10dB less gain and would be much better suited to feeding a signal to your MR-1.

I bet if you used the tape out you'd be able to eliminate one of your -20dB pads.  40dBs of attenuation seems rather extreme IMO.  Then again, I'm in the 'run the gain knobs as low as possible' camp when it comes to the mp-2.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 10:11:06 AM by drewloo »

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2007, 01:12:17 PM »
Hi Jmos -

Yup, using the XLR line outs - no reason to go through the headphone amplifier stage and add that noise. 

The MixPre has a "tape out" 3.5mm jack that is different than the headphone jack.  The tape out is not controlled by the headphone amp, and I'm pretty sure it's completely separate as far as the circuitry.

I've used it before and it is every bit as clean a signal as the XLR's.

They put it there to use with portable devices just like the Korg.  Anyway, using it would probably eliminate the need for you to run pads.  I always like to give the mic the proper amount of preamp gain without worrying about the output stage if possible.

stirinthesauce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2007, 10:22:23 PM »
I use the tapeout from mp-2 >rca jack line in on my hd-p2.  Keep the gain on zero for my mp-2 and do minute adjustment on the p2.  Usually don't need much if any gain added.  Maybe 10db.  I'm also in the camp of use as little gain as possible on the mp-2.  My mics run hot, but using the tapeout, I have never needed pads on my mics or in-line.  This includes way fob or onstage (high db enviro's).

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com