Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tapers Section World Scoop (LOL) - Marantz PMD620  (Read 121319 times)

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Tapers Section World Scoop (LOL) - Marantz PMD620
« Reply #210 on: March 12, 2008, 12:09:11 PM »
Do you know anything about the possible benefits of this update?

So I got a response from Marantz about the new firmware:

Quote from: D & M Pro Tech Support
Hello Aaron,

Thanks for your message.

The PMD620 firmware update improved processing and lowered the headphone delay at the headphone output when monitoring the recording.

Best regards,

Technical Support

D&M Professional
(Denon & Marantz Professional)
(630) 741-0330
www.d-mpro.com
www.denondj.com

They have resolved the latency in monitoring issue (which wasn't a concern for me anyway).  This may be my imagination, but I think the internals sound a bit better now too (I was screwing around with it a little last night; never plugged in the externals, though).

Arni:  Sorry to hear that.  You were using the AC adapter?  Mine didn't restart either, at least to my knowledge, but everything works fine.  Did you try taking out the batteries and card and then replacing them?  Maybe that helps?  You should definitely contact them:  techsupport@d-mpro.com.  They have answered me within 24 hours both times I e-mailed them.  I am sure this is their responsibility to fix...

Offline Dede2002

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #211 on: March 12, 2008, 01:35:07 PM »
Do you know anything about the possible benefits of this update?

So I got a response from Marantz about the new firmware:

Quote from: D & M Pro Tech Support
Hello Aaron,

Thanks for your message.

The PMD620 firmware update improved processing and lowered the headphone delay at the headphone output when monitoring the recording.

Best regards,

Technical Support

D&M Professional
(Denon & Marantz Professional)
(630) 741-0330
www.d-mpro.com
www.denondj.com

They have resolved the latency in monitoring issue (which wasn't a concern for me anyway).  This may be my imagination, but I think the internals sound a bit better now too (I was screwing around with it a little last night; never plugged in the externals, though).

Arni:  Sorry to hear that.  You were using the AC adapter?  Mine didn't restart either, at least to my knowledge, but everything works fine.  Did you try taking out the batteries and card and then replacing them?  Maybe that helps?  You should definitely contact them:  techsupport@d-mpro.com.  They have answered me within 24 hours both times I e-mailed them.  I am sure this is their responsibility to fix...

Thanks, Aaronji.
One thing that makes me wonder is the fact that
my R-09 file transfer ( to my computer) is way,way,way faster than my PMD 620's.
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #212 on: March 12, 2008, 02:21:25 PM »
My PMD620 died during the update showing status "complete" but didn´t restart automatically as supposed to.
Now I can´t turn on the unit anymore.
Glad I still have my Sony MZ-RH1 HI-MD recorder as 2nd substitute.

;D

Arni,

Sorry to hear that :'(.
But, hey, you can always have mine. Check the Yard Sale ;D ;D ;D
no thanks  ;D I´ll have mine repaired.
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #213 on: March 12, 2008, 03:06:52 PM »
My PMD620 died during the update showing status "complete" but didn´t restart automatically as supposed to.
Now I can´t turn on the unit anymore.
Glad I still have my Sony MZ-RH1 HI-MD recorder as 2nd substitute.

;D

Arni,

Sorry to hear that :'(.
But, hey, you can always have mine. Check the Yard Sale ;D ;D ;D
no thanks  ;D I´ll have mine repaired.

Funny how those derided and dissed little MD's come to the rescue, huh?   8)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #214 on: March 12, 2008, 07:45:17 PM »
One thing that makes me wonder is the fact that my R-09 file transfer ( to my computer) is way,way,way faster than my PMD 620's.

I think you must have a defective unit.  In my experience, the transfer speeds are pretty similar.  And both are USB 2.0.  I think you should contact Marantz customer service to see if there may be some issue with your recorder. 

At any rate, a card reader is an improvement over eithers' USB transfer. :)

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #215 on: March 12, 2008, 08:19:46 PM »
One thing that makes me wonder is the fact that my R-09 file transfer ( to my computer) is way,way,way faster than my PMD 620's.

I think you must have a defective unit.  In my experience, the transfer speeds are pretty similar.  And both are USB 2.0.  I think you should contact Marantz customer service to see if there may be some issue with your recorder. 

At any rate, a card reader is an improvement over eithers' USB transfer. :)

Well, I don't think so. Two friends of mine told me that the same happens to their R-09 and PMD 620. It's not big deal really. Both units are really good, but they are diferent. That's the beauty of life. ;)

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #216 on: March 13, 2008, 05:52:34 AM »
Yes, I used AC-power during the upgrade procedure and I removed battery and the SD-card but nothing helped....it´s dead....
"Shit happens"  ::)
Anyway......let´s go RH1-taping in April 2008  ;D ..my RH1 survived ALL my recent recorders HAHA.

1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline kbergend

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #217 on: March 13, 2008, 10:11:02 AM »
Thanks for the info!  My firmware upgraded with no problems.
Keith from NY

Gefell M200/210, AKG 481/2/3, Milab DC-196 and VM-44 Link
Darktrain cables
Grace Lunatec V3, RME Fireface UFX
Tascam DR-680, Oade Concert R-44, Oade Concert PMD661, JoeCo BlackBox

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #218 on: March 13, 2008, 01:03:27 PM »
Maybe I'm wrong, but giving "-T" is like a hobby for some folks ::). Man, I'm always nice and respectfull at all times. Even with little knowledge, I try to help and inform less educated members. Still, minus two T this morning ???.
Wouldn't be easy to say "hey, friend, I didn't like what you said" or something like that?
I know this has nothing to do with this particular topic. Sorry about that. ;)

Offline paulbaptiste

• Trade Count: (50)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • in that sweet bye and bye
« Reply #219 on: March 13, 2008, 02:27:34 PM »
^ +T for your great offer on the 620 in the yard sale  ( there was a thread going on about the +/- T's in the open forum, but be careful, i lost a few just posting in it, don't sweat it, i 4 one have never seen anything rude or unnecessary in your posts) ;D
Official Archivist for The Felice Brothers and contact for guestlist/taper spots
Please contact me regarding upcoming shows as well as recordings for the bands archive
robertsnw@yahoo.com

Offline professorhalfbaked

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #220 on: March 13, 2008, 03:01:06 PM »

Mine installed with no problem too.  But I was sweating it a bit after reading Arni's post!
What the heck was that for?  Jerk-off...

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #221 on: March 13, 2008, 03:34:24 PM »
^ +T for your great offer on the 620 in the yard sale  ( there was a thread going on about the +/- T's in the open forum, but be careful, i lost a few just posting in it, don't sweat it, i 4 one have never seen anything rude or unnecessary in your posts) ;D

Thanks a lot, friend.

Offline bubba5916

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #222 on: March 14, 2008, 12:43:10 AM »
Have had one of these for just a few days.  Previously used a Sony D8 dat with core sound binaurals w/battery box - bass roll off.  The internal mics are very sensitive and will try the attenuation settings.  I'd like to get it working with the core sounds too though.  Levels are way too low when plugged into the mic in at 00 db gain and 00 db attenuation.  Saw someone mention a built in preamp but don't see a reference to that in the manual and don't see a reference to it in the menus.  So are they accessed automatically? Can I set it? 

Otherwise do I need to get an external preamp or new mics?  Stealthy recommendations?

Thx

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #223 on: March 14, 2008, 05:26:11 AM »
Have had one of these for just a few days.  Previously used a Sony D8 dat with core sound binaurals w/battery box - bass roll off.  The internal mics are very sensitive and will try the attenuation settings.  I'd like to get it working with the core sounds too though.  Levels are way too low when plugged into the mic in at 00 db gain and 00 db attenuation.  Saw someone mention a built in preamp but don't see a reference to that in the manual and don't see a reference to it in the menus.  So are they accessed automatically? Can I set it? 

Otherwise do I need to get an external preamp or new mics?  Stealthy recommendations?

Thx

I am sorry if I am asking the obvious, but did you use the battery box between the mics and the recorder?  If not, did you turn on the plug-in power from one of the pre-set menus (see page 52 in the manual, http://www.d-mpro.com/users/getdownload.asp?DownloadID=398)?  The default setting in all three pre-sets is "off".  If so, did you check to make sure the battery was fresh?

I have used some small electret mics (Church Audio STC-11's) directly into mic-in for a couple of shows and the results were pretty good (better than expected).  Levels were definitely high enough with the -24 dB attenuation setting and gain in the neighborhood of -10 or -12 dB.  The Core Sound binaurals should also work, I think.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #224 on: March 14, 2008, 05:33:57 AM »

Mine installed with no problem too.  But I was sweating it a bit after reading Arni's post!

I am so relieved to hear that this worked for you guys!  I have been feeling kind of guilty about posting the upgrade ever since I read about Arni's troubles.  Seems like an isolated problem, though.  Of course, that conclusion is based on limited data, but we are 3 out of 4 4 out of 5 so far. :)

EDIT TO ADD: Additional data point after JM's post below.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 05:45:51 AM by aaronji »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.137 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com