Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Korg MR-1  (Read 138093 times)

Offline landshark

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Korg MR-1
« Reply #330 on: October 15, 2007, 03:06:02 PM »
I had similar haywiredness in my Korg.  One issue is the Korg seems to be particular about its voltage, and really likes "true" 5v.

When iit went haywire on me, I had it plugged into a third party 5v source (this thing http://www.tekkeon.com/site/products-mypgo-faq.php, with 4x of these http://www.stefanv.com/electronics/sanyo_eneloop.html, which are NiMH so only actually 1.2v or 4.8 v total down to 4.4 after some discharge).  The charging symbol came on, but it really didn't charge much.  The interesting thing is using the eternal battery, even undervoltaged, worked fine for a while, but once the voltage got low, since the Korg's battery was flatlined it started acting up.  I couldn't get it to recharge using the same lashup with the Tekkeon, and couldn't get it to turn on when plugged into the Tekkeon, but it worked fine when I used the actual Korg transformer - it lit right up and charged as it should.  It did take forever to charge, as usual, I htink 12 hours or more.

AKG 461's / 463's OR Senn MKH 8040's > MR1000 (Busman mod) or Shure FP24 (aka MixPre) > MR1 (open)
Coresounds Binaurals > CChurch 9100 > MR1 OR AKG CK1x/2x/3x > Deneke P20 > MR1 (low profile)

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #331 on: October 15, 2007, 07:11:58 PM »

FWIW:

When mine acted up, I was using  an external battery back.
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline boyacrobat

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #332 on: October 15, 2007, 09:19:13 PM »
korg was to release an ext batt for this hornet, anyone know anything ?
i would like to power m1 with with a true dedicated ext batt from korg.
only locked up once and it was not a nice feeling.
my hard drive was nearly full when it happend.
now i rec with fully empty hd reformatted day before showtime.

im still in love with the m1
has taken my rec to the next level .

run my pre hotter than normal due to the headroom available makes all the fucken difference in the universes.
g

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #333 on: October 16, 2007, 07:18:24 AM »
regarding the ability to run the preamp HOT...
yea, I like that too.

Offline landshark

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #334 on: October 16, 2007, 10:28:42 AM »
How hot is hot?  I usually set my MR1 to 0db gain, use line-in, and set the levels so they're hovering between -12 and -6, making sure peaks don't go above 0db.  I also have a limiter on my pre (SD MixPre) that I use in case there are any sudden spikes in volume - it's rarely engaged, but is there more for a safety net. 
AKG 461's / 463's OR Senn MKH 8040's > MR1000 (Busman mod) or Shure FP24 (aka MixPre) > MR1 (open)
Coresounds Binaurals > CChurch 9100 > MR1 OR AKG CK1x/2x/3x > Deneke P20 > MR1 (low profile)

Offline boyacrobat

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #335 on: October 16, 2007, 08:29:53 PM »
0db rec level on m1 line in & pre (unity gain) peak at +1 , yes +1 no clip and punching .
i would use this setting for sweet spot , have and love it but not for nosebleed.

next will try +2db on m1 & +10 db pre gain peaking at -8.
sweet spot and back not nosebleed areas.

g

« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 08:35:07 PM by boyacrobat »

Offline Hman

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #336 on: October 22, 2007, 06:50:41 AM »
Hi all,

thinking on some major upgrading on my gear..
Buying a pre-amp, and upgrading my deck with a MR-1. I'm reading some issues
here about the internal battery of the MR-1. It lasts (when full charged) about
2h30m. This would most of the time be enough for me taping the kind of shows I do.

I was wondering. Is this the max. time of the internal batt. without using an
external batt.??
Would a external power-source for the mics (batt.box/pre-amp) increase the rec.time
on the MR-1??

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #337 on: October 22, 2007, 07:01:44 AM »
depends...
if you were using the plug in power to run mics, then an outboard BB would help, but I dont know how much. 

Offline GDfan

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #338 on: October 30, 2007, 03:59:31 PM »
Are any other manufacturers going to make a 1 bit recorder like marantz, or edirol ,etc. just wondering if anyone knows if there are any others coming to market soon.
Neumann SKM184 / AKG 568EB > Sound Devices MixPre3
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/CLaPorte

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #339 on: October 30, 2007, 04:07:02 PM »
not that i'm aware of.  but i'm sure the "industry" wont allow a single vendor to have that nitch for long.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #340 on: October 30, 2007, 04:10:54 PM »
not that i'm aware of.  but i'm sure the "industry" wont allow a single vendor to have that nitch for long.

Based on the continued lack of dsd playback, industry couldn't care less..

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #341 on: October 30, 2007, 04:38:12 PM »
I was thinking purely as a mastering tool.
I only know of 3 that are readily available.  the Tascam rack mount unit, and our Korgs.  Granted there are probably plenty of consule and DAW units that support it ??

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #342 on: October 30, 2007, 05:00:18 PM »
Just wondering why Sony hasn't put their foot on it yet...all their new laptops can convert PCM to DSD and play DSD files (can't remember what format) using WMP (?)

Something is confusing me at the moment...What will happen if I exchange the internal HD with a SDD? Would it be a simple exchange? I was wondering if the operating system with all the menus and options are stored in the current HD or not. I know someone here must have exchange the HD in a 722/744?? Maybe it's the same sort of thing?
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #343 on: October 30, 2007, 06:46:46 PM »
Just wondering why Sony hasn't put their foot on it yet...all their new laptops can convert PCM to DSD and play DSD files (can't remember what format) using WMP (?)
The Playstation 3 will also play these DSD files converting on the fly too 176.4 Khz 24 bit (and possibly at some point in raw DSD - we will have to see)

Something is confusing me at the moment...What will happen if I exchange the internal HD with a SDD? Would it be a simple exchange? I was wondering if the operating system with all the menus and options are stored in the current HD or not. I know someone here must have exchange the HD in a 722/744?? Maybe it's the same sort of thing?

The BIN file for the "Operating System", as KORG calls it, is exactly 2 MB in size and compresses down to 13% of orginal size in the ZIP, meaning that probably the code is much smaller then 2 MB and the extra space is zero'd out to squeeze it an a standard address range.  So my guess is that the "OS" is stored entirely in a flash rom.

Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline richardl

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #344 on: October 30, 2007, 07:00:47 PM »

You can download and install Sony's DSD->PCM codec onto any Windows system to playback MR-1 DFF and DSD files in WMP. It doesn't support WSD format though.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com