Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: edirol/roland r-44 (part five)  (Read 162077 times)

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
edirol/roland r-44 (part five)
« on: March 03, 2012, 10:17:51 AM »
looks like the part four thread is past its due date, so as the newest member of the team, i figured i would start a new thread (nolafishwater will have to lock part 4)....

old discussion wrapped up here.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 10:23:05 AM by macdaddy »
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline macdaddy

Re: edirol/roland r-44 (part five)
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 10:27:48 AM »
used the unit last night for the first time.

is the usb transfer slow for everybody..? was hoping to not have to pull the card out each time...

the final voltage number is voltage before shutdown, not what the battery is rated at, correct.? this is why the twelve volt setting will get a low batt warning with an ac adaptor, right..?

cant believe this thing is smaller than the hd-p2.

thx for the help (here and in the remote power thread)
-macdaddy ++

Offline One Cylinder

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 02:04:56 PM »
I haven't found the USB transfer to be particularly slow. What are you comparing it to?

When I first got my R-44 that low battery warning was driving me nuts! You can get rid of that warning display by setting the power source switch on the unit to external battery. (Don't have my R-44 in front of me at the moment, so "external battery" might not be the correct name of the setting - but there's only a couple settings so it should be easy to figure it out.)
Schoeps MK4(x2) MK21(x2)
Schoeps CMC6(x4) CMC1K(x2)
Sonosax SX-M2, Grace Design ACM Lunatec V3
Roland OCM R-44

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 03:20:36 PM »
 :spin:
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 05:06:31 PM »
 ;D
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 05:31:24 PM »
twenty minutes for less than five gigs to transfer. using a usb card reader, the same computer, and a cf card from the hd-p2, this size transfer would take half that time, if not less...
-macdaddy ++

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 12:18:42 AM »
:spin:

x2

I set the power setting to adapter for use with 9V DVD batts years ago and have never changed it and remove the card for transfers.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 07:34:42 PM »
Always got faster transfers not using the deck.  Considered it a field option if I was on the road and didn't have card reader handy.  BUt was defineatly slowest method of transfer.  Internal Teac reader fast, external reader ok, deck slow.

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 07:53:17 PM »
just checking in
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 05:12:47 PM »
Always got faster transfers not using the deck.  Considered it a field option if I was on the road and didn't have card reader handy.  BUt was defineatly slowest method of transfer.  Internal Teac reader fast, external reader ok, deck slow.

Yeah, that seems to be the case.  Would not be surprised if the USB on the R-44 wasn't up to 2.0 spec.

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 05:37:39 PM »
fcb, this is exactly what i thought, too.
-macdaddy ++

cashandkerouac

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 07:11:57 PM »
just got my R-44 with Oade concert mod and am trying to get it set up for use in the field.  with respect to the settings for use of the R-44 with an external battery, the manual says to select "final voltage" in the "system setup" menu.  i've done that and set the final voltage to 9v.  i have a Battery Geek battery that is switchable between 9v and 12v.  when the battery is set to 9v the R-44 gives me a "low battery" warning even though my battery is fully charged.  when i switch the battery to 12v (leaving the "final voltage" setting on the R-44 at 9v) the R-44 shows there is a fully charged battery attached.  is this normal?  i don't mind running my battery at the 12v setting if the R-44 prefers it, but i thought i'd have the option of running it at 9v without any issues.   thanks.

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 07:48:39 PM »
if you check the manual, it calls the final voltage the lowest voltage possible before shutdown. so it should be lower than the regular voltage of your battery output. i run a twelve volt batt. i set it to 9 volts, and never see the low batt warning. it will turn off on you, too. i set the thing to twelve volts, and the ac adapter was connected, and i got the low batt message and then the machine shut down. that's when i posted one page back about this, and dug into the manual...

hth
-macdaddy ++

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 07:57:42 PM »
You shouldn't have any issues running the R-44 off of 9v.  I haven't run into any using the 9v DVD batteries.  Rather than set a final voltage value, I've always kept the Ext-Power setting on "Adapter" and had AA batteries in the deck's tray.  That way the unit sees the external battery as an AC source and, if it should run down, the R-44 will automatically and seamlessly switch over to the internal batteries if need be.

cashandkerouac

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 08:26:07 PM »
thanks for the feedback.  it sounds like i have a couple of options...

1) set the final voltage to 9v and run my battery at 12v.
2) leave the R-44 set to "adapter", run my ext. battery at 9v and keep AA batteries in the R-44 tray as back-up.

i like options.... options are good.  i'll experiment and see what works best.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com