Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: edirol/roland r-44 (part five)  (Read 162139 times)

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
Re: edirol/roland r-44 (part five)
« Reply #120 on: June 21, 2013, 02:39:34 PM »
Does anyone know if the R-44 will clock to a SPDIF input stream while recording 4 analog inputs and not actually set to record the digital input?

I was running it along with a DR-680 last night and it would have been nice to have the clocks of both recorders synced.  In the past I  have done it the other way around- sync'ing the DR-680 clock to the digital output of the R44.  In that case I don't need to actually record the digital input on the DR-680 to have it lock to the output of the R-44.  However, this time I was running the V3's SPDIF digital into the DR-680, so I only had the 680's digital out available for linking to the R-44.. and I needed all 4 analog inputs on the R44.

I hooked it up that way before the show as a quick test, and there was no indication on the R-44 either way.  I assume it simply ignores the digital input in that case, but maybe not.
R-44 DOES NOT sync to spdif when recording analog.  Only the HD-P2 or DR- 680 when set that way or a USBPre-2 will do it by default.

I have not tried any other configuration than master R-44 digi-in 24/48 from my mini-me on 1 and 2, analog mics with phantom on 3 and 4, and analog line in from the soundboard on 1 and 2 on the slave R-44.

I sync the R-44's every time.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #121 on: June 21, 2013, 03:23:41 PM »
..analog line in from the soundboard on 1 and 2 on the slave R-44.

Thanks Kevin.  What I was trying to do would be similar to recording analog in on ch's 3&4 of the slaved machine as well as ch's 1&2, yet retaining the clock sync to the digital input (although without the slaved transport functions).
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #122 on: June 21, 2013, 07:45:16 PM »
acidjack and I have clock synced our R-44's many times to run 8 separate analog channels.  But, as Kirk pointed out, we used a USBPre2 as the way to sync the two decks via SPDIF.  I believe he has also been able to clock sync an R-44 and DR-680 the same way but only he can answer that.  Paging acidjack...

Online Gutbucket

« Reply #123 on: June 21, 2013, 08:00:49 PM »
We answered the question. It was wishful thinking on my part, as I suspected.  Would be nice if it did though.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #124 on: July 02, 2013, 01:39:56 AM »
i ran the mono x2 mode last night, and it is great as for no splits, and keeping stuff straight...

only thing is i use wave editor on the mac, and for the life of me, i cant find a way to load those mono files and designate them as left and right. does anybody here have any ideas..? i appreciate any help on this - i figure it should be a very easy and seemless process, requiring very light lifting, but i just cant figure how to do it. thanks, in advance. (fwiw, i have also posted this query in the wave editor thread here)...

Edit:

Above issue resolved; solution details start here...
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 10:00:29 PM by macdaddy »
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #125 on: August 09, 2013, 08:16:12 PM »
Can you designate what channels run to the digital coax out if you are running a V3 into the digital coax in??
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #126 on: August 09, 2013, 08:40:12 PM »
When I run digi-in, it routes to channels 1 and 2. If I run digi+analog, it routes analog in to channels 3 + 4. The digital seems to always be channels 1 and 2...

Hth
-macdaddy ++

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #127 on: August 09, 2013, 08:55:32 PM »
So if digi in is channels 1/2 and SBD 3/4 can you route the 3/4 signal to the digi out??

When I run digi-in, it routes to channels 1 and 2. If I run digi+analog, it routes analog in to channels 3 + 4. The digital seems to always be channels 1 and 2...

Hth
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #128 on: August 09, 2013, 09:04:32 PM »
Oh, I have no idea. I have never sent anything out of the digi out. I misunderstood what you were asking. Sorry to waste your time...
-macdaddy ++

Online Gutbucket

« Reply #129 on: August 09, 2013, 09:46:52 PM »
So if digi in is channels 1/2 and SBD 3/4 can you route the 3/4 signal to the digi out??

Hmm, can't remember when recording.  To route 3/4 only to the digi-out on playback, you set output select in the system setup menu to mix, or monitor or whatever the mixed channel output mode is called, then press the display button to select the channel playback gain screen, turn ch1&2 down to 0 and 3&4 up to 100.

You might try pushing monitor select (the headphone gain knob) until it selects ch's 3/4 only.  Try it with output select set alternate ways- switched between individual channel outputs and mix (or monitor or whatever it is).

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #130 on: August 10, 2013, 02:36:51 AM »
Recording 4x1 for the first time tonight. What is going on with the timer. It seems to only get up to a half hour before it sets to zero. I assume the recording will be fine... Just wondering why it behaves like that. I would think with 4x mono that the recording timer would go longer, like it does with mono x2
-macdaddy ++

Online Gutbucket

« Reply #131 on: August 10, 2013, 03:01:37 AM »
Are you recording one 4 channel file, instead of four 1 channel files, and hitting the 2GB split at ~30min?

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #132 on: August 10, 2013, 03:23:49 AM »
Guess I will will find out. It splits every half hour...

4chx1 I think is what it said. I assume I can split the file up in a wave editor and manipulate the channels as I need to...

It was the only other option other than monox2 and monox1 and stereo x2...

What should I have chosen..? I use mono x2 to get 1 and 2 to be left and right...
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 03:30:55 AM by macdaddy »
-macdaddy ++

Online Gutbucket

« Reply #133 on: August 10, 2013, 01:33:53 PM »
monoX1=one mono file
monoX2=two mono files
monoX3=three mono files
monoX4=four mono files <choose this one to get individual files numbered 1-4, same record time as monoX2
stereoX1=one stereo files
stereoX2=two stereo files
4chX1=one four channel file < 1/4 the recording time of monoX4 before hitting the 2GB split

You can usually split the four channel file in an editor.  I use this small free standalone app-SoundDevices Wave Manager.  Which has an input output matrix function which can be used to split multichannel files into individual channel WAV files, combine mono files into stereo files, rearrange their numeric order in the file, etc.

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #134 on: August 10, 2013, 03:27:44 PM »
Cool. If I can't get it to work right in wave editor, I will do that...

The r44 manual day of digital input is there, which it is with my setup, you cannot do monox4, just 2xstereo...

Or the 4chx1.

I think this will work fine. Thanks for the help. How do I get that sound devices program for the Mac..?
-macdaddy ++

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.116 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com