Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: edirol/roland r-44 (part five)  (Read 162077 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: edirol/roland r-44 (part five)
« Reply #135 on: August 10, 2013, 03:32:48 PM »
That makes sense. With a digital input I think I've only run it in stereox2.

You enter an email address on the download page and they auto-email you a link to the installer. I use it on Windows machines, but they also have a Mac version.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #136 on: August 10, 2013, 03:55:38 PM »
Awesome. Thanks. I will look for the download page later...

Don't need it - wave editor opens the file and allows me to do what I need to do.

I am glad this worked because monox4 will NOT work because two of my channels are digital...

Again, gb, thanks (as always) for all of your input and assistance. +t

« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 07:06:13 PM by macdaddy »
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #137 on: September 18, 2013, 12:52:18 PM »
Here's a change of subject.

Until a week ago, I would have said the R-44 was the best deck I ever owned.
Suddenly, after 30 or more recordings, I started getting the "card too slow, press any key" error.
I did a lot of reading about it. It seems that the R-44 doesn't support too many cards.
But I've never had the problem before. It was easy enough to reformat the card. (16GB Transcend Class 10, I think, but I have 3 different cards I've used and never seen this error. Sandisk 32GB Class 4 & Kingston 16GB Class 10)
It was just before the show and I was running for 10 minutes, and saw the error. Had JUST enough time to reformat and roll again.

But 5 minutes into the music, the error happens again. THis time I pressed any key and it went away.
I figured that was it, but nope: even though the error message never returned, the tape has all kinds of skips throughout. Fucking Ruined.

So I tried all my other cards and the same error persists. I can press any key, like it says, but while it makes the error go away, it also makes a recording with skips throughout.

What's the solution?
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #138 on: September 19, 2013, 01:13:17 PM »
I started having similar SDHC card issues last year, which cleared up after cleaning the card socket contacts with Caig Deoxit.  I just put some on the contacts of a card and did the plug-in/plug-out dance a few times.  No issues since.

Currently my power button is acting up.  Sort of flickers when held down an the unit doesn't power up.  I have to press it for a while firmly and until it finally boots.  Hoping it's just dirty switch contacts and that a squirt will clear it up, but haven't done it yet.  Any one else have similar power button issues?
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #139 on: September 19, 2013, 05:27:03 PM »
Thanks!

I will try the Caig Deoxit solution.
Look a $20 fix, that's a good deal.

Everything else has worked great for almost 100 tapes. (er, recordings)

One thing I've never understood is the folder date thing.
I've tried various naming systems on the machine, and i like the one that goes like this:

130715202722.pjt

7/15/2013 8:27:22pm, right?

So it makes a folder for each recording like that, but every folder I copy to my mac says it was created on Oct 4, 2004, which makes it slightly weird when organizing folders filled with audio files.

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #140 on: September 19, 2013, 05:32:36 PM »

130715202722.pjt

Yeahyouright about the date and time.

That DeOxit stuff works well, too.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #141 on: September 19, 2013, 05:33:42 PM »
130715202722.pjt

Right, which means the time/date on the R-44 is set correctly.  That's the naming scheme I prefer as well.

So it makes a folder for each recording like that, but every folder I copy to my mac says it was created on Oct 4, 2004, which makes it slightly weird when organizing folders filled with audio files.

Is the clock on your mac set to Oct4, 2004?

Offline JusTapin

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #142 on: September 19, 2013, 05:50:03 PM »

Mine does the same thing when I plug the card into my macbook, it states the file was last modified Oct 4, 2004 for all files...drives me nuts! lol  It doesn't do it on a Windows platform.
Mics: AKG C460B, ck61/ck63, Naiant Actives/PFAs, AT835 cards/hypers (4.7 mod), CA-11 Croakies
Pre/BB: GD Lunatech V3, CA-9200, UA5, SD USBPre2, Neumenn BS48i-2
Decks: Roland R-44, Marantz PMD661 (OCM), Sony PCM-M10

cashandkerouac

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #143 on: September 19, 2013, 06:23:36 PM »
Here's a change of subject.

Until a week ago, I would have said the R-44 was the best deck I ever owned.
Suddenly, after 30 or more recordings, I started getting the "card too slow, press any key" error.
I did a lot of reading about it. It seems that the R-44 doesn't support too many cards.
But I've never had the problem before. It was easy enough to reformat the card. (16GB Transcend Class 10, I think, but I have 3 different cards I've used and never seen this error. Sandisk 32GB Class 4 & Kingston 16GB Class 10)
It was just before the show and I was running for 10 minutes, and saw the error. Had JUST enough time to reformat and roll again.

But 5 minutes into the music, the error happens again. THis time I pressed any key and it went away.
I figured that was it, but nope: even though the error message never returned, the tape has all kinds of skips throughout. Fucking Ruined.

So I tried all my other cards and the same error persists. I can press any key, like it says, but while it makes the error go away, it also makes a recording with skips throughout.

What's the solution?

i encountered this "card too slow" error once when using the R-44 in MONOx4 mode.  i changed the card, went back to STEREOx1 or STEREOx2 and have never received the error since.  i attributed the error to the card, but to this day i still don't know for sure since i've neve used MONOx4 again.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #144 on: September 19, 2013, 06:30:45 PM »
Yeah, that one sounds like a throughput problem with the card.  It takes a bit more overhead to write 4 seperate mono files instead of two stereo interleaved ones.  I switch between using STEREOx2 and MONOx4 on the R44 regularly without problems.

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #145 on: September 21, 2013, 04:30:31 PM »
This is as close as I came to the Caig deOxit: LPS LVC electric contact cleaner. It seems similar, and all the directions are in Spanish.

Whatcha think? just risk it?

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #146 on: September 21, 2013, 06:41:30 PM »
Should work.

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #147 on: September 23, 2013, 01:56:45 PM »
Unfortunately...

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #148 on: September 23, 2013, 02:00:09 PM »
Now is it possible that my card(s) are actually too slow?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 02:03:10 PM by jb63 »

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #149 on: September 23, 2013, 03:01:40 PM »
I'd retire the card if your others are working okay.  If they all have the same problem, that points to the deck or the cardslot.  Maybe borrow and try a couple alternate cards.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com