Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: edirol/roland r-44 (part five)  (Read 162128 times)

Offline bhadella

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Toiling away the day...
    • http://db.etree.org/bhadella1
Re: edirol/roland r-44 (part five)
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2012, 08:06:17 AM »
this question may have been asked and answered, so apologies in advance if that's the case...

when using 4 mics and recording to two separate stereo tracks (stereo X2) the individual track meters (1,2,3,4) show good levels with no clipping but the stereo mix meter (L-R) shows hotter levels with mild clipping.  can someone tell my why this is happening and what i should do to correct it.  thanks. 

added info: i always set the inner and outer level knobs at 12 Noon, and individual track levels peak around -6 db (if it's a very loud show levels will peak at -3 db).

The stereo mix meter show the output to the headphone output.  You can change the signal to the headphone amp by pressing down on the Monitor Select (Headphone gain knob) and it will toggle thru the output options.  The default setting is the sum of the 4 channels into a stereo output, hence your clipping on the mix meter than individual meters.
"Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. "

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2012, 09:33:23 AM »
What Brian said.  I'll just add that it doesn't effect your recording, so unless you are using the headphone output (or mixed channel output to the RCAs) you can ignore the clipping on the stereo output buss.  If it bothers you, push the headphone gain knob until you mute all output (I think that's one of the options), or until you are monitoring only one channel or one channel pair.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

cashandkerouac

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2012, 08:23:18 PM »
^^^thanks^^^ the responses were very helpful.   :)

Offline tapernateva

• LOOKING DOWN FROM OUTER SPACE
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Tapernate...doesn't advertise
    • db.etree.org/tapernate
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2012, 10:28:05 AM »
Used mine for the first time Tuesday ran a 6 channel matrix using the sd442 for the mikes and a on the fly matrix ran
Ch1&2 digital in via
Ak50-lc3-km100-442(ch1&2)-xlr-v3-digi out
Mixed with
Ak40-lc3-km100-442(ch3&4)-xlr-v3-digi out
Then ran a sbd feed into the r44 ch3&4
I will post the show soon
Everybody's got a little karma to pay!

Neumann ak40 > lc3 > km100>sd442>sd744t
Neumann ak50 > lc3 > km100>sd442>sd744t
4 channels of Neumann bliss

Offline tapernateva

• LOOKING DOWN FROM OUTER SPACE
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Tapernate...doesn't advertise
    • db.etree.org/tapernate
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2012, 10:15:47 AM »
heres the link to my first time running the r44 and the sd442

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=156757.0
Everybody's got a little karma to pay!

Neumann ak40 > lc3 > km100>sd442>sd744t
Neumann ak50 > lc3 > km100>sd442>sd744t
4 channels of Neumann bliss

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2012, 02:45:17 AM »
My R-44 stopped working with an external battery. The last 25 shows i have done just with 4 AA Powerex.
Recording time is 6 hours+ used just as a bit bucket going digi in.

I know other tapers have had this problem as well. Has anyone sent their unit back to Edirol/Roland for service?
How much did this cost?
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2012, 12:40:12 PM »
My R-44 stopped working with an external battery. The last 25 shows i have done just with 4 AA Powerex.
Recording time is 6 hours+ used just as a bit bucket going digi in.

I know other tapers have had this problem as well. Has anyone sent their unit back to Edirol/Roland for service?
How much did this cost?

Hey Ed, check with [vegeta_ban].  I remember [last year?] he had the problem and was sending it in for repair but I don't think he posted the final outcome.

Just happened to think it seems this is happening frequent enough with the R-44 using external power much like the Tascam DR680 to be a concern.

Roland uses a reverse polarity power cable, perhaps it got hooked up to a standard convention with a [center pos (+)] cable.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 12:42:31 PM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2012, 03:35:30 PM »
Has the a/c input stopped working altogether or just with external batteries?  At the risk of stating the obvious, have you tried a few different external batteries to rule out that the problem isn't with the battery?  Did you change any of the settings in the powering menu on the R-44 (how do you set it, for that matter)?  As DigiGal pointed out, it could be some wires crossing with the Edirol/Roland's reversed polarity at the input.  IIRC, I believe someone pointed out that there's a non-user serviceable fuse that can get tripped on the power input. 

While I have seen a handful of TS'ers write on here about this, it's not nearly affecting the same number of machines or with the frequency as the Tascam 680 and its powering issue.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2012, 06:03:38 PM »
My external power input failed when it was under guarantee.  I took it to the local official repair place but they had no service manual - that took some time to arrive, then they ordered spares which also took some time - it was off the road for some weeks.  However, that was in the quite early days and things may be better now.  And it was in Australia.

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2012, 08:22:49 PM »
Has the a/c input stopped working altogether or just with external batteries?  At the risk of stating the obvious, have you tried a few different external batteries to rule out that the problem isn't with the battery?  Did you change any of the settings in the powering menu on the R-44 (how do you set it, for that matter)?  As DigiGal pointed out, it could be some wires crossing with the Edirol/Roland's reversed polarity at the input.  IIRC, I believe someone pointed out that there's a non-user serviceable fuse that can get tripped on the power input. 

While I have seen a handful of TS'ers write on here about this, it's not nearly affecting the same number of machines or with the frequency as the Tascam 680 and its powering issue.

It won't work with a/c or external batteries. I have 5 batteries that can power it and none of them will (they all power other devices)
I bought this unit when they first came out and it's worked perfect for 3+ years. My guess would be the internal fuse. Most of my shows i run it as a 2 channel bit bucket,
so 6 hrs on the AA's is fine. If i was running 2 channels or 4 channels with 48p on, i would have sent it in for service already  :( 
Just wanted to know if any of the many R-44 users on this board sent their unit in for repair and how much it cost.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 08:24:23 PM by edtyre »
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline ziko

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2012, 09:35:36 PM »
try calling this. 1-800-380-2580 (ted). he said he is the repair guy and that no parts are available to others when i called. this info was in my notes after extensive looking into when mine blew. my unit was modded and ted cringed. oade was like never heard of a fuse blowing when others looked like they has the issue so....a friend bridged it for 40 bucks if i recall.  i would not recommend that for anyone. it has worked flawlessly. he is a electronics repair guy and said it was such a spec of a fuse it would blow just the next part. that was 2 years ago if i guess. parts were not readily available.

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2012, 08:45:11 AM »
F4 and F1 are tiny SMD fuses, so they would of course have continuity across them.  If they are open or no continuity they are bad.

There is also a SMD diode D5 in the photo, it should have continuity in one direction and a resistance value like 0.7 ohms with the leads reversed.

The value of the fuses and diode are unknown from this photo without looking at a service manual.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 09:55:27 AM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2012, 12:33:31 PM »
^^ Wow, you weren't kidding when you said those fuses were tiny!  Thanks for the picture.

Good luck with this, Ed, and please keep us posted if you send it in to get fixed.

stevetoney

« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2012, 04:12:01 PM »
Hey R-44 owners.  I just bought my second one.  Didn't have the first one for long.  I can't even remember why I sold it...no doubt to fund something else.  However I did have an Oade R4Pro for a couple years and it grew into my blood so I'm really happy to have this unit now, which is like a mini-R4Pro.  I bought a stock version...it was a demo version...ebay for $739.  Not a scratch on it.

I think I recall from reading back through this R-44 history that it draws about 450ma in two channel, no phantom power mode.  That's right about what I got with the R4Pro too, so I'm thinking that's a good estimate.

What I'm wondering is whether or not the power consumption changes if you use the R-44 as a bit bucket.  Anybody have any experience or done run-time tests to check? 

TIA.

« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2012, 04:47:01 PM »
Back before I discovered the joys of external DVD batteries, I ran my unmodded R-44 exclusively off the internal AA's with, usually, just two channels of phantom and a pair of 414's.  Running like that, I would consistently get about 3.5 to 4 hours of runtime before the battery indicator on the R-44 would tell me it was about to die.  Since edtyre is alluding to getting about 6 hours using his solely as a bit bucket, it would seem that it has a lower power consumption in that mode.  Not a scientific comparison, YMMV, etc.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com