Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help a newbie out?  (Read 9282 times)

Offline Aladar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Help a newbie out?
« on: September 19, 2009, 02:29:32 PM »
Hi!

So, I want to start taping ASAP, because noone in Czech REpublic really tapes - so chances I'm getting a show I want are prety much zero..
I'm a student, so I don't have much money, so I was looking for the cheapest possible option.. So far, I decided I will be probably getting JB3 (seems people here sell it for 70$ shipped, which is ok, I guess), but don't know anythign more.. so, the question:

-what mic should I get - are Core Sound Low Cost Binaural Microphones enough? I know it's not great and all, but mind you, I just want the show taped, even though it will probably won't be the best.. I found 40$ shipped here, so I think it's a great offer..

-do I need anything else?

-can I get some other recorder for LESS money? (Noticed some of you were giving MD decks for symbolic price, but seems everything is already sold) Keep in mind, this equipment will be just temporary, till I can get ZOOM H2 or something better and some mics.. probably some CA.

Please, don't reply with "wait a bit and get rig for $200 etc., as I said, noone here tapes, so loads of shows won't get taped at all otherwise..

Thanks!

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Help a newbie out?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 03:57:43 PM »
Hi!

So, I want to start taping ASAP, because noone in Czech REpublic really tapes - so chances I'm getting a show I want are prety much zero..
I'm a student, so I don't have much money, so I was looking for the cheapest possible option.. So far, I decided I will be probably getting JB3 (seems people here sell it for 70$ shipped, which is ok, I guess), but don't know anythign more.. so, the question:

-what mic should I get - are Core Sound Low Cost Binaural Microphones enough? I know it's not great and all, but mind you, I just want the show taped, even though it will probably won't be the best.. I found 40$ shipped here, so I think it's a great offer..

-do I need anything else?

-can I get some other recorder for LESS money? (Noticed some of you were giving MD decks for symbolic price, but seems everything is already sold) Keep in mind, this equipment will be just temporary, till I can get ZOOM H2 or something better and some mics.. probably some CA.

Please, don't reply with "wait a bit and get rig for $200 etc., as I said, noone here tapes, so loads of shows won't get taped at all otherwise..

Thanks!
The core sound for $40 sounds like a great deal.  Not great mics, but certainly workable, and can't be beat for the price.  I would go with Church Audio or Core Sound, none of the others (giant squid, etc) as they will distort.  If you can get Core or Church for $50 or under, grab them.

For a recorder I recommend a used or closeout deal on a minidisc.  Run mics > battery box (should come with the core mics above?) > md line in.  Adjust levels on the MD.  That is the safest.  You'll get great sound and no distortion with this setup.  I've recorded a lot of shows in the past with this gear and have no complaints.

Your next choice would be to get some gear donated from here.  I'm sure there are some people who may be willing to part with an old MD or some older mics.  See if anyone is interested in the bands you're taping.  Maybe they will volunteer.

Don't spend more than say $100 until you decide what you really want.

Have fun!
  Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 04:10:08 PM »
So, I want to start taping ASAP, because noone in Czech REpublic really tapes

If you type "czech" into the Dimeadozen search engine, you'll find a (small) bunch of tapers record shows in your country.

If you contact some of them, one or two might lend you equipment to find out if it's for you. It's something I've done for other tapers here in the UK.

Good luck!
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline Aladar

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 04:23:58 PM »
The core sound for $40 sounds like a great deal.  Not great mics, but certainly workable, and can't be beat for the price.  I would go with Church Audio or Core Sound, none of the others (giant squid, etc) as they will distort.  If you can get Core or Church for $50 or under, grab them.

For a recorder I recommend a used or closeout deal on a minidisc.  Run mics > battery box (should come with the core mics above?) > md line in.  Adjust levels on the MD.  That is the safest.  You'll get great sound and no distortion with this setup.  I've recorded a lot of shows in the past with this gear and have no complaints.

Your next choice would be to get some gear donated from here.  I'm sure there are some people who may be willing to part with an old MD or some older mics.  See if anyone is interested in the bands you're taping.  Maybe they will volunteer.

Have fun!
  Richard

Thanks for the reply!
I was thinking about MD recorder as well, but all of the available ones sold here start at $50, in which case I will rather take the JB3..
As with the battery box.. is it necerssary? It doesn't seem to come with the mics, and to behonest I don't even know what does it do.. :)

As with donation.. I would be eternally greatful for any donated gear, but I didn't want to post any thread to seem like I'm some kind of freeloader begging for free stuff. :)

The bands I'm going to tape aren't really clear yet, as the only gig I know for sure I'm going to is Deathstars/The Birthday Massacre/Dope Stars Inc./Diary of Dreams minifest, and it's next month, so the package won't probably arrive by then.. other than that I'm hoping to catch Psychic TV gig in Prague..

If you type "czech" into the Dimeadozen search engine, you'll find a (small) bunch of tapers record shows in your country.

If you contact some of them, one or two might lend you equipment to find out if it's for you. It's something I've done for other tapers here in the UK.

Good luck!

Thanks, I'll look into it - Though, the thing is I would take this as a last resort, because anthing can happen at the gigs and the last thing I would want is having to pay broken Edirol R-9 (those things are ridiculously expensive here) and mics to someone..

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 06:50:12 PM »

Have fun!
  Richard

Thanks for the reply!
I was thinking about MD recorder as well, but all of the available ones sold here start at $50, in which case I will rather take the JB3..
As with the battery box.. is it necerssary? It doesn't seem to come with the mics, and to behonest I don't even know what does it do.. :)

As with donation.. I would be eternally greatful for any donated gear, but I didn't want to post any thread to seem like I'm some kind of freeloader begging for free stuff. :)

The bands I'm going to tape aren't really clear yet, as the only gig I know for sure I'm going to is Deathstars/The Birthday Massacre/Dope Stars Inc./Diary of Dreams minifest, and it's next month, so the package won't probably arrive by then.. other than that I'm hoping to catch Psychic TV gig in Prague..

Good luck!

Thanks, I'll look into it - Though, the thing is I would take this as a last resort, because anthing can happen at the gigs and the last thing I would want is having to pay broken Edirol R-9 (those things are ridiculously expensive here) and mics to someone..
As the other poster suggested, I would suggest finding a local taper to help you out.  If you're an electronics guru (like myself) you can work alone, both otherwise it is better to have someone help you out.. and possibly lend gear.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Offline attheshow

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 11:47:57 PM »
A battery box provides power to the mics. Most 3.5mm plug mics require 1.5 - 12 volts of power. The more power you get to them, the more sound pressure (volume) they can handle. A minidisc will give them 1.5-2.5 volts if you use the "mic in" port. I'm not sure about the JB3.

If you're handy with a soldering iron you can make your own... do a search for "greenmachine battery box".
Mics: MM-HLSC-1, ECM-737, ECM-719
Recorders: R09, MZ-RH1, MZ-R70, MBP
BBox: Greenmachine DIY, CA-UBB (on the way!)

Offline fandelive

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 04:42:05 AM »

The bands you listed sound like it's gonna be loud music. You'll need a battery box to power the mics. Otherwise, the recording will be distorded.

Mics : Sony ECM-717, MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod), SP-CMC-4 (at853), 2x DPA4060, 2x DPA4061
Battery box : SP-SPSB-6524 w/bass roll-off filter, MM-CBM-1
Preamp : Church Audio CA-9100
Recorders : Sony MZR-700PC, Edirol R-09HR, Tascam DR-2d

Offline Aladar

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 05:45:54 AM »
Oh, thanks.
Well, that will certainly make things more difficult, since I can't make one myself.. and any extra cash is almost impossible to get for me atm..

So it seems, right now, if I won't be lucky enough to find someone with old MD recorder, the price is gonna go up to 160$ or more.. damn. :)

I don't want to seem like a cheap beggar bum, but is there any place I can ask if someone has spare MD for sale for symbolic price? I know there is Yard Sale, but it's kind of weird to start topic like "ISO: MD for free/very cheap".. It makes me feel.. like a beggar. And I don't want that! :)

Offline fandelive

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 11:54:58 AM »
You'll be able to find alot of second hand minidiscs on the internet (e-bay and so on...) but if I were you I'd go with the JB3 and the CSBs and look for a second hand battery box instead of the minidisc.

If you really want to buy a minidisc, make sure it has a line input cos' you want to plug the mics + battery box into the line-in (not mic-in).

If you go with the second hand battery box option, make sure it has a bass roll-off option. Using omnidirectional caps, you'll need to filter some bass.
Mics : Sony ECM-717, MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod), SP-CMC-4 (at853), 2x DPA4060, 2x DPA4061
Battery box : SP-SPSB-6524 w/bass roll-off filter, MM-CBM-1
Preamp : Church Audio CA-9100
Recorders : Sony MZR-700PC, Edirol R-09HR, Tascam DR-2d

Online jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2009, 11:58:38 AM »
JB3 in the YS, might want to see if you can strike a deal!

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,126956.0.html

Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2009, 02:13:09 PM »
Oh, thanks.
Well, that will certainly make things more difficult, since I can't make one myself.. and any extra cash is almost impossible to get for me atm..

So it seems, right now, if I won't be lucky enough to find someone with old MD recorder, the price is gonna go up to 160$ or more.. damn. :)

I don't want to seem like a cheap beggar bum, but is there any place I can ask if someone has spare MD for sale for symbolic price? I know there is Yard Sale, but it's kind of weird to start topic like "ISO: MD for free/very cheap".. It makes me feel.. like a beggar. And I don't want that! :)
Go ahead and post in the YS.  No shame in asking.  If I had one (an older MD), I would send it to you.

Richard

Offline Aladar

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2009, 02:20:49 PM »

Go ahead and post in the YS.  No shame in asking.  If I had one (an older MD), I would send it to you.

Richard

OK, I'll post :)

Right now, I discovered iRiver H120 in YS for 100$, which is a pretty good deal I think, so I will probably get that - and if not, I'll post the ISO thread. :)

Normally, I wouldn't give 100$ for a recorder, but seeing as it's 20GB MP3 player as well, I will definitely have a use for it, even if I won't tape. :)

jmbell, There is JB3 for 70$ as well here in YS. :) But I'll rather get the iRiver, as it's smaller. :)

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2009, 02:23:55 PM »
You'll be able to find alot of second hand minidiscs on the internet (e-bay and so on...) but if I were you I'd go with the JB3 and the CSBs and look for a second hand battery box instead of the minidisc.

If you really want to buy a minidisc, [u]make sure it has a line input[/u] cos' you want to plug the mics + battery box into the line-in (not mic-in).

If you go with the second hand battery box option, make sure it has a bass roll-off option
. Using omnidirectional caps, you'll need to filter some bass.

I thought that bass roll off is not possible thru line in.I record with CSBs and battery box into minidisc mic in directly in front of PA stacks with zero distortion.Line in to me does not sound as good.

Offline Aladar

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2009, 02:41:02 PM »
beatkilla, I noticed you have Sony ECM-719.. how is it? I downloaded some tapes done with Core Sound Low Cost Binaural Microphones, and seemed to me that ECM-719 is actually a bit better..

Right now, I'm choosing between SP-BMC-2, ECM-719 and the Core Sounds.. what would you think is the best one for beginning?

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2009, 02:49:29 PM »
The Sony ecm 719 is OK but i never tried to record directly in front of stack with it.For starters i would say Sony ecm 719 or low cost CSBs(get the ones with -20db attenuator built in)should be fine.BUT your best option would be the CSBs with battery box with bass roll off .Or you may prefer the CSC's sound to the CSB.With the CSB you'll have alot of bass thats why i mention using bass roll off.If you don't want to mess around with audio post production than i would say get the CSC's or the sony ecm.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com