Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: new to taping, h4n advise  (Read 10087 times)

Offline Alex.Stone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
new to taping, h4n advise
« on: July 17, 2010, 01:38:16 AM »
so i just ordered a zoom h4n and am about ready to order these http://www.audioreality.com/ ....is this a good idea, my goal is to have a good entry level recording system which i can upgrade, and is fairly portable. Thanks!

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
Re: new to taping, h4n advise
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 06:20:30 AM »
so i just ordered a zoom h4n and am about ready to order these http://www.audioreality.com/ ....is this a good idea, my goal is to have a good entry level recording system which i can upgrade, and is fairly portable. Thanks!

Have you used the search facility? These mics are discussed in a couple of threads.

Alternatives are Church Audio and Sound Professionals.
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 07:53:03 AM »

Have you used the search facility? These mics are discussed in a couple of threads.

Alternatives are Church Audio and Sound Professionals.

Many here use and love these mics. I use both, but I would go with CA-14 cards as giving you the best performance/price ratio of any mics available. The audioreality mics are little discussed here, so I would rule them out.  Check this out:

You asked me in a PM to post why I'd had thoughts (in another post) related to giving up my high dollar rig in favor of using Church Audio. 

In terms of the recording itself, it's all about the sound.  I find that for the money, the Church Audio gear delivers a sound that I like.  For me, I've asked myself why I have between 4 and 5 thousand invested when I can get close to the same sound with Chris's products at a fraction of the cost.  The LMA is my best friend for evalating these decisions, and these decisions are personal based on the sound that you like anyway. 

For my ears, I haven't found a mic in the sub-$500 price point that sounds as good as the Church gear. 

In fact, as I've invested more and more in my rig, there's been various degrees of excitement, but also a level of disappointment.  For the money, I expected better sound.  What I learned is that incrementally better sound costs TONS more money.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 09:04:49 AM by fmaderjr »
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

stevetoney

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 08:46:17 AM »
I second the opinion on the CA-14 mics.

To add to the response, the mics you're considering will work fine with your new zoom.  I'm not familiar with these particular mics and I haven't used a zoom, but you will need to use the 'mic in' connection if you don't have a battery box to power the mics.  That said, some mics will distort at high sound pressure levels because of the sensitivity of the 'mic in' connection.  It's for that reason that you might end up wanting to look into getting a battery box to power your mics and then instead of using the 'mic in' connection you'd use the 'line in'.  'Line in' with a battery box generally provides a better option for the type of recording that many on this board do...such as loud rock and roll concerts.  So don't be overly disappointed if you first show or two doesn't sound as crisp and clean as you'd like...you just need one more component.  OTOH, lots of folks have gotten away without a battery box, so you might have great results.  Battery boxes are available at Sound Professionals for $50 or so.

The other thing worth mentioning is that you could also look into a small preamp, such as Chris Church's ST-9100 ($179 I think) as an upgrade even from the battery box.  The preamp will power the mics, but it may also enhance the sound of the mics since the 9100 is likely to be a nicer sounding preamp than what's inside the zoom.  There are a million samples on Live Music Archive of what the 9100 sounds like.  Personally, that would be the route I'd recommend...I've used the 9100 and for the money, it's awesome.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 08:47:57 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 08:57:31 AM »
The other thing worth mentioning is that you could also look into a small preamp, such as Chris Church's ST-9100 ($179 I think) as an upgrade even from the battery box.  The preamp will power the mics, but it may also enhance the sound of the mics since the 9100 is likely to be a nicer sounding preamp than what's inside the zoom.  There are a million samples on Live Music Archive of what the 9100 sounds like.  Personally, that would be the route I'd recommend...I've used the 9100 and for the money, it's awesome.

You WILL need at least a battery box for CA-14's. Only the MT's and Marantz PMD-620 have high enough plug in power voltage to possibly power them correctly. I second the ST-9100 recommendation. It's a great little pre. 
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 09:03:12 AM by fmaderjr »
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680

Offline Alex.Stone

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 03:36:28 PM »
Thanks! so looks like i should go for the CA-14 cards, and a ST-9100 pre amp? On Church's website i don't see the CA-14s just CA-10s and CA-11s. are the CA-14 available?

whats the best way to mount my mics at a show. i've read a couple treads about stands but am still confused. i would like to be able to have a good "open taping" setup, and a good "stealth" setup. For stealth i was thinking just clipping the mics to a hat, does this work?

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 03:44:49 PM »
Don't buy from Chris on e-bay. He gives taperessection discounts. Send him a PM on this board and tell him want you want. The CA-14 cards & omnis + ST-9100 preamp for $279.99 + free shipping is a steal.

Package deals

FREE SHIPPING FOR THE USA! For the month of July on any order over $200 a $24.00 value.

CA-9100 / CA-9000 / UGLY package sale prices!

CA-9100 w/ ca-14 omni and ca-14 cardioid mics $299.99! Now $279.99!

CA-9100 + CA-14 OMNI OR CARD $238.00!

CA-9000 w/ CA-11 cardioid mics $249.99!! Now $199!
Add ca-11 onni caps for $40.00 with purchase of above package.

CA-UGLY with ca-14 omni and ca-14 cardioid $299.99 NOW $279!

CA-UGLY with CA-14 OMNI OR Card $238!
Microphones 

UGLY BB + CA-14 $159.99

CA-14 omni mics $129.99
CA-14 cardioid mics $129.99

CA-1 PREORDER SALE 7 PAIRS @ $80 A PAIR!

ca-cable 3.5 to 3.5 mm 1 foot standard length with techflex/mogami/Neutric $20.00

Preamps

CA-Ugly $149!!
CA- 9100 $139!!
CA-9000 $129!!

Shipping to the USA  $24 for 1-6 day delivery
Shipping to Europe $20 for airmail 2-6 week delivery time.
$60.00 for express with tracking and full insurance 3-8 day delivery time for most Countries.
Canada $12 for express post shipping with tracking and full insurance
Note to Canadian customers in Ontario I charge GST AND PST on top of price other provinces will be GST only.

email me @ sales@church-audio.ca

stevetoney

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 04:30:46 PM »
^  Yes!  Check LMA if you want to be convinced.  Pound for pound, one of the best rigs for the money and you get two sets of mics! 

You asked about mounting.  Yes, get a light stand and mount your mics on a T-bar of some kind that enables you to put them in the various configurations.  If you don't know what I'm talking about, visit the microphone forum and look at the sticky'ed messages at the beginning.  Regarding not so open, most people rig something up to put it in a hat that perhaps has some meshiness to it...so yes, in a hat. 

Velcro is your friend, young jedi knight.

That said, open tape as much as possible and you might go the route that I did where I now basically hate recording with any gear attached to my body.  Open taping is the best way to get the best recording, but more importantly IMHO enjoy the show because you can get a beer, take a pee, talk (quietly) to a friend, etc.

Offline Big Perm

• Trade Count: (67)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Rage, Rest, work a lot, Repeat
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 05:07:50 PM »
shameless plug:

I have a set of CA-14 omni's for sale...$100 shipped to your door
a
Mics: Schoeps mk4v| mk41v | mk22 | mk8 & mk5 (m/s)
         Schoeps m222> nt222dc (x2)
         Schoeps cmc 1k (x2)
         Schoeps vst62iu (x2)
         Schoeps KCY 250/5 IG (x2) Schoeps KC 5g (x2)
         DPA 4015c
Pre’s: Sonosax SX-M2D2
         Aeta PSP-3
         E.A.A. PSP-2
Recorder: Sonosax sx-r4+, SD702, Sony m10

Offline Alex.Stone

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 10:40:48 PM »
Sweet! i think im gona go for the pre amp + 2 sets of mics combo thing. is there any special cables i need to get? what cables do i need to patch into the soundboard?

stevetoney

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2010, 11:09:19 PM »
Sweet! i think im gona go for the pre amp + 2 sets of mics combo thing. is there any special cables i need to get? what cables do i need to patch into the soundboard?

Good decision.  You'll be pleased with the sound of these mics.  Be aware that it can take a little bit of time to get your gear from Chris.  He hand makes his gear...although it can take some weeks, it's well worth the wait and you can use the internal mics in the H4n in the meantime.

You don't necessarily need any special cables.  What Chris sells you will provide you 100% functionality.  However, I found it useful to have a 6 foot extension cable to insert between the mic jack and the input jack on the preamp.  That allowed me slack enough to put the mics up on a stand.   All you'd need is a stereo cable with a male 1/8 inch on one end and female on the other end.

As far as SBD patch cables, those run the gummut...there's no standard.  Find out what the SBD has at whatever venue you want to record from the board and go from there.  I recently got a digital patch via an AES cable...other SBDs have XLR outs and other still have RCA's or 1/4inch.

Offline Johnny Thunder

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2010, 09:30:15 AM »
   If you're on a budget and want to have the cables to patch from just about any sound board, you can do what I did just for the time being. Bearing in mind that really good audio cables and ends are quite pricey, I've gone with some Hosa brand items to get me started. With a 1/8 (3.5mm) TRS to dual male RCA about 6 feet long, and RCA Female to 1/4" TS Male adapters (2), and RCA Female to XLRF3 Female adapters, (2) you should be able to get a patch from just about any board. If you've got a little more to spend, there are several members here that make really nice cables with the sexyest of conductors and ends. Darktrain comes to mind immediately, but there are several other members doing an awesome job too. I've yet to hear ANYONE complain about ANY of the cables TS members are building here. These guys really know their stuff!

As far as specifics about my poor man's cables, first I determined that I wanted a Hosa CMR-206R which is a 6 foot right angle 3.5mm TRS>dual RCA cable. Suprisingly, these cables are a little tough to find. I almost gave up and just opted for a cable with a straight 3.5mm plug instead of the right angle plug, then I found them reasonably priced brand new on e-bay. The seller I bought from is STSI.com. Shipping was fast and the cable was brand new as described. Total with shipping to NY was $8.83. As for the adapters, they are both Hosa parts too, and I got them from Sweetwater Sound. The 1/4" male TS to RCA Female adapters are Hosa part number GPR-101 and are $2.99 for a pair, and the RCA female to XLR3 females are Hosa part number GXF-132. Those are $7.89 each and you need two. Sweetwater ships free, so your price out the door for those adapters is $18.77

IF you have a bit more in the budget to have some cables built, I suggest doing so, but either way, I personaly like to have backups where I'm able, and for a very small amount, you can buy the stuff mentioned above.

As far as the Church Audio stuff goes, that's the direction I went. So far I have a CA-Ugly, (A smaller more   >:D able version of the 9100) a pair of CA-11 Cards in hand, and a pair of omni caps for the CA-11's, a CA Battery Box and CA-14 cards on the way. (Should be here early this week.)

Welcome aboard Alex. I hope you have as much fun with it all as I'm having. A word of advice. Don't pass up any opportunities to tape. First because there's probably someone out there that'd love a copy, (if only the band themselves), and secondly, when a show comes up that you seriously want a great pull from for yourself, you're more likely to get a result that you'll like if you've had some experiance already. Best of luck to you and I hope to see you around TS for a long long time to come!

-JT

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2010, 11:45:56 AM »
We are very much a gear and gadget oriented group, and everyone has their own tastes and preferences.  Mics impart their own flavor to the recording, and just like flavors of ice cream, the flavor you like, may not be the flavor you like.  I encourage you to listen to a bunch of tapes on archive.org made with a given set of mics before you buy.  If you find yourself saying "I really dig these tapes made with these mics", then that is a good indication you will like them.  If you don't find yourself really excited by what you hear then that may not be the flavor for you.

The mics built into the H4N are actually pretty good.  I have a friend who used the original H4 for recording using the internal mics for a year or two and he turned out some great tapes.  Don't be shy about using them while you are listening/learning/deciding what you like.  When you get any kind of half decent mic in the right spot, it will turn out a great tape, and if you are in the right place and the right time you will be amazed how good your tapes can sound with these internal mics compared to the other guy next to you who has the $5000 rig. I'm not saying they will be just as good, but they are often 90% as good for 10% of the price.

To echo someone else's statement, just get out there and start taping something.  Go to a local bar where a local band is playing, and ask them "I just got this recording gear, and I want to try it out.  Mind if I record tonight?  I'll send you a copy".  I'd be very surprised if they say no.  You want to get a few of these opportunities under your belt before you head out to the big show that's coming to town.

And rule #1 is... don't get drunk, or busy yacking,  and forget to hit the record button before the band starts.  ;D  We've all done it.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2010, 11:50:09 AM »
Thanks! so looks like i should go for the CA-14 cards, and a ST-9100 pre amp? On Church's website i don't see the CA-14s just CA-10s and CA-11s. are the CA-14 available?

whats the best way to mount my mics at a show. i've read a couple treads about stands but am still confused. i would like to be able to have a good "open taping" setup, and a good "stealth" setup. For stealth i was thinking just clipping the mics to a hat, does this work?

We are working on that.. Go to churchaudiomics.com the ca-14 mics should be there. If not let me know.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

adrianf74

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2010, 10:24:25 PM »

Indeed.  Chris is finally getting around to getting things in order for "newbies" to try and help them with techniques and what to choose.

I've become a bit of a Church Audio nut in the past six months to a year.  I've run all sorts of low-to-mid-range mics since '92 and, so far, I'm happiest with what Chris offers.

People on this forum, as Smokin' Joe reports, are true enthusiasts.  Everybody here will have a person preference when it comes to mics.  I've asked many questions over the last few months before settling.  As Joe suggest, hit DIME or LMA and listen to some recordings made with various mics and then pick what YOU think this best.  I've said it before, and I'll say it again, mics are like underwear... some prefer boxers, others prefer briefs. 

The CA-14's (even in their "new" configuration with smaller windscreen) are still quite noticeable but I have used them in a 007 environment without issue.  As you suggest, I usually clip the mics "upwards" with the built in clips along the sides of my temple on the underside of the cap with the elements facing forwards.  The CA-14 OMNI/CARDS and Preamp package is a steal for $280 + shipping.  Some might say the CA-14's are too big for 007 and go with the CA-11's for that reason.  I also have a CAFS omni mic with Ugly Battery Box for the times where I need to be 007 and can't bring in a preamp or want to risk being shut down with the CA-14's.

I don't think you'll go wrong with Church Gear... however, you need to come to that decision for yourself.

Offline Alex.Stone

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2010, 10:54:58 PM »
Wow, this site is a wealth of knowledge!

how big are the CA 14s?
also when do i use the cardioid vs omni mics? i will mostly be taping at outdoor festivals, and some amphitheaters (Red Rocks)   

im assuming the best place to set up is close to the soundboard right?

adrianf74

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2010, 11:22:13 PM »
how big are the CA 14s?
also when do i use the cardioid vs omni mics? i will mostly be taping at outdoor festivals, and some amphitheaters (Red Rocks)   

im assuming the best place to set up is close to the soundboard right?

Go here for a pic of the new CA-14's with the 20% smaller membrane... http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=136212.msg1784866#msg1784866.  Keep in mind that the clips are standard "alligator" type clips so if you know what the size of those, then you're set.  One of the pics has the CAFS omnis next to them (which I - and others - use for 007 situations).

Cardioid vs. Omni depends on many things.  Generally speaking, Omni mics are _generally_ the preferred choice when outdoors because wind can be a major problem with cardioid mics.  Cardioid mics pick up wind in your recording a lot easier than omni mics do.  That's not to say that you can't use Cards outdoors -- I have -- it's just that you might end up with more wind noise.  If you're in an open situation, you could consider ordering Chris' Dead Rats as well for the CA-14's if you go that route.  I haven't used my rats, yet, but plan to try them out later this month depending on the weather. 

As far as placement, this is also a personal preference.  Generally speaking, I prefer to record closer with omni mics and further back with cards (although I have been known to record from the first 5-15 rows on the floor at a stadium show with cards - it just depends on the venue).  So if you're stack tapig (or about 20 - 30 feet from the stage/speakers), go omni.  If you're about 2/3 of the way to the soundboard (or right in front of it), go cards.  This changes in club situations but this is the general rule I (and others) have gone with.

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2010, 05:06:36 AM »
The CA-14's (even in their "new" configuration with smaller windscreen) are still quite noticeable but I have used them in a 007 environment without issue.  As you suggest, I usually clip the mics "upwards" with the built in clips along the sides of my temple on the underside of the cap with the elements facing forwards.  The CA-14 OMNI/CARDS and Preamp package is a steal for $280 + shipping.  Some might say the CA-14's are too big for 007 and go with the CA-11's for that reason.  I also have a CAFS omni mic with Ugly Battery Box for the times where I need to be 007 and can't bring in a preamp or want to risk being shut down with the CA-14's.

I don't think you'll go wrong with Church Gear... however, you need to come to that decision for yourself.

Count me as one of the enthusiasts. Even the old CA-14's are simple to stealth with if you hide them in the folded up liner of a hat, like a Kangol. And they sound better than any mics you can get for twice the cash.

If you can get an UGLY battery box into the venue, you could also get in an UGLY preamp. Personally, I prefer the larger ST-9100 for its easy gain adjustment and it is still small enough that I could get it into and use it in any venue.

adrianf74

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2010, 08:41:59 AM »
Count me as one of the enthusiasts. Even the old CA-14's are simple to stealth with if you hide them in the folded up liner of a hat, like a Kangol. And they sound better than any mics you can get for twice the cash.

If you can get an UGLY battery box into the venue, you could also get in an UGLY preamp. Personally, I prefer the larger ST-9100 for its easy gain adjustment and it is still small enough that I could get it into and use it in any venue.
True...  there's apparently a 20% size difference (which isn't much) on the new build versus the original.  I thought about the Kangol but I'd look pretty dumb in one. :)

I'd go a step further in your comment about sounding better than any mics you can get for twice the cash.  I'd say better than mics costing 3-6 times the cost as well (depending on where you're recording from).  I've heard recordings made with DPA 4061's that sound worse than my CAFS mics.

Worth noting... the Ugly battery box is great for it's 007-ability, however, I don't like the fact that I'd need to carry a mini screwdriver with me to make adjustments.  The 9100 is still the way to go IMHO.

And yes, fmadejr, you've got me beat in mic choices.  I'm happy with the CAFS and the CA-14/o and CA-14/c.  That gives me enough choices for the time being.. the CA-11's don't make a lot of sense for me atm (talk to me next month). :)

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2010, 09:44:56 AM »
I'd go a step further in your comment about sounding better than any mics you can get for twice the cash.  I'd say better than mics costing 3-6 times the cost as well (depending on where you're recording from).  I've heard recordings made with DPA 4061's that sound worse than my CAFS mics.

I agree with that (at least for the cardioids, and I know the omnis are well regarded too), but I didn't have the guts to write it because I figured someone would jump on me.

My recordings wouldn't suffer if all I had were CA-14 cards & omnis to choose from. I never got the omnis because I already had DPA 4060's when they came out. I occasionally break out my HUGE pair of Studio Projects CS5's.  They are of course much more versatile than CA-14's (5 choices of patterns) but they don't really sound audibly better to me (at least when a fairly low noise floor is not required).
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 09:51:31 AM by fmaderjr »

adrianf74

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2010, 12:04:18 PM »
I agree with that (at least for the cardioids, and I know the omnis are well regarded too), but I didn't have the guts to write it because I figured someone would jump on me.

My recordings wouldn't suffer if all I had were CA-14 cards & omnis to choose from. I never got the omnis because I already had DPA 4060's when they came out. I occasionally break out my HUGE pair of Studio Projects CS5's.  They are of course much more versatile than CA-14's (5 choices of patterns) but they don't really sound audibly better to me (at least when a fairly low noise floor is not required).
I've already been jumped on my a few people but I have to ask if a mic that costs 3-to-8 times the price is really going to offer 3-to-8 times the improvement in recording; the answer, simply put, is it will not.

I don't have the 4060... I had thought about the 4061 for a bit but then decided my money was better saved/spent on replacing my old SP-CMC-8's (AT-933/C) with something else... so I kept the CAFS that I have (when I need to go deep 007) and bought the CA-14's for when the availability to use them is there.  Obviously, I'm gonna try and run the CA-14's when I can (/C or /O) but sometimes it's just impossibe under the circumstances.  Safe to say that I wouldn't have bought the omnis either if I owned what you have already. :)

stevetoney

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2010, 02:52:46 PM »
I think it's a fact about our hobby that there is an entry level price that is paid to get a basic decent setup for recording and getting decent sound.  Whether that sound is acceptable to you can only be determined by you and you alone.  Incrementally, the amount spent for better sound is definitely NOT a linear relationship.  IOW, if you pay two times the price, you cannot and generally will not get two times the improvement in sound even if that COULD be measured, which of course it can't.  Whether one person can justify the incremental costs it takes to get that sound improvement is, again a personal choice.  Many people will spare no expense to get the best sound they possibly can, but when that source is held up against an A/B'ed source made with Church Audio gear, the CA gear is definitely gonna hold its own.  That's not to say that the person that spent the extra money isn't getting his money's worth though because he's getting what he paid for.  The bottom line though is that, in this hobby, spending thousands more doesn't guarantee order's of magnitude in sound improvement.

Offline mloewen

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2010, 03:21:54 PM »
Well put Tone I am amazed at the quality for price for Church Audio gear. Got my preamp upgrade today.

adrianf74

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2010, 03:39:27 PM »
The bottom line though is that, in this hobby, spending thousands more doesn't guarantee order's of magnitude in sound improvement.
What I said... only a little more detailed. :P

I've always said the sound of mics/gear will be a personal preference.  I just think that for the price of Chris' gear, it's pretty inexpensive for what it is, and yields excellent results. 

I spent more on my Sound Professionals CMC-8's (AT-933) with Battery Box - around US$300 + shipping quite a few years ago.  A similar mic and battery box (CA-14/C with Ugly Battery Box) will usually run HALF of that.  And I find the CA-14/C to be a better mic to my ears (even if it is a tad bright). 

stevetoney

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2010, 04:36:10 PM »
The bottom line though is that, in this hobby, spending thousands more doesn't guarantee order's of magnitude in sound improvement.
What I said... only a little more detailed. :P

Right. 

One of the points of my response was to point out that beauty is in the ear of the beholder.  Although one may not be able to understand why I've spent so much more on my Schoeps gear for the incremental improvement over the great sound that is obtained from a CA-14 rig, it's also a personal choice that I'd probably do over again and again.  Audio gear sluttiness is funny that way.   ;D

adrianf74

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2010, 07:37:14 AM »
One of the points of my response was to point out that beauty is in the ear of the beholder.  Although one may not be able to understand why I've spent so much more on my Schoeps gear for the incremental improvement over the great sound that is obtained from a CA-14 rig, it's also a personal choice that I'd probably do over again and again.  Audio gear sluttiness is funny that way.   ;D
I fully agree.  If I had an unlimited budget and was single, I'd probably be looking for the "next best thing" in mics.  Unfortunately, I have a limited budget (well: none to be exact) and a better half who would kill me if I dropped $600-$1000 on mics.  Even picking up the 9100/CA-14 bundle was a push for me right now.

I think there are two things to note here: it's great to spend lots of money on the best your money can buy, however, it's also important to note that you needn't spend a big chunk of change anymore to get reasonably decent results.  I remember my first "big purchase" of a TCD-D7 and Core Sound Binaurals back in '94 (or thereabouts).  The mics and battery box weren't cheap (around $220 at the time) and the D7 was $1000.  By comparison, I could have a pair of omnis, cards, a pre-amp and a digital recorder for somewhere around $500 (less than half of that). 

stevetoney

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2010, 09:16:31 AM »
I fully agree.  If I had an unlimited budget and was single, I'd probably be looking for the "next best thing" in mics.  Unfortunately, I have a limited budget (well: none to be exact) and a better half who would kill me if I dropped $600-$1000 on mics. 

OMG, I passed $1000 SUCH a long time ago...and yes my wife would kill me if she knew that I spent a grand on audio gear.   :-X ;) ::)

adrianf74

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2010, 10:05:51 AM »
OMG, I passed $1000 SUCH a long time ago...and yes my wife would kill me if she knew that I spent a grand on audio gear.   :-X ;) ::)
Dontcha mean DIVORCE YOU?   :o

stevetoney

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2010, 11:57:07 AM »
LOL...divorce...kill...potatoe...po-tah-to.

Actually, she's OK with it...I was basically just blowing smoke.  The reality is that our agreement is that as long as I don't hit her up for money for my hobby or take it out of our household budget (that pays the bills), she's OK with whatever I spend.  She knows that I've spent way more than a grand on my hobby...she just doesn't know the total amount.  I've paid for it using my monthly allowance and my extra expense money that I've gotten from extensive traveling that I do with my job.  It's just that now and then she's halfheartedly asked how much I have invested in my gear and, while I have a decent guess at the total, I only let her know that it's too much for me to let her know the total...or my other standard answer is 'you don't want to know' to which she usually reply's 'no, you don't WANT me to know'...and I just smile and agree and leave it at that.

As many packages as she sees me sending and receiving, she's not naive enough to know that I'd be serious if I ever tried to convince her I don't have much invested.   :P

adrianf74

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2010, 12:15:02 PM »
LOL...divorce...kill...potatoe...po-tah-to.

Actually, she's OK with it...I was basically just blowing smoke.  The reality is that our agreement is that as long as I don't hit her up for money for my hobby or take it out of our household budget (that pays the bills), she's OK with whatever I spend.  She knows that I've spent way more than a grand on my hobby...she just doesn't know the total amount.  I've paid for it using my monthly allowance and my extra expense money that I've gotten from extensive traveling that I do with my job.  It's just that now and then she's halfheartedly asked how much I have invested in my gear and, while I have a decent guess at the total, I only let her know that it's too much for me to let her know the total...or my other standard answer is 'you don't want to know' to which she usually reply's 'no, you don't WANT me to know'...and I just smile and agree and leave it at that.

As many packages as she sees me sending and receiving, she's not naive enough to know that I'd be serious if I ever tried to convince her I don't have much invested.   :P
LOL.  That 'generic' answer always seems to work.

I'm quite fortunate in that my better half doesn't mind me taping (and she's pretty quiet, too, when she's next to me at shows).  If it's GA and she wants to be noisy, she'll find her way closer to the stage.  She doesn't give me a hard time about what I spend but if I dropped some significant coin (i.e., more than what I just did with Chris - about C$450 after tax), she'd be reminding me how it's better spent on paying off debts, etc., and trying to plan for the future.  Luckily half of that was subsidized by the sale of some old gear.  Of course, that $450 doesn't include the CAFS I already owned from last year... or the deck.  But I think the $850-900 dropped to date is a good "ending" point .... FOR NOW :)

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2010, 02:44:45 PM »
I have the H4n. Just be aware that both the inputs are pretty sensitive. Be careful in terms of overloading the input. Otherwise, it's a good unit for thr price. Also, make sure to hit stop before powering off the unit. It may not write the .wav files properly when it is shut down dirty. (usually results in a 0 byte file)

Offline Seth01

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2010, 03:41:03 PM »
I have the H4n. Just be aware that both the inputs are pretty sensitive. Be careful in terms of overloading the input. Otherwise, it's a good unit for thr price. Also, make sure to hit stop before powering off the unit. It may not write the .wav files properly when it is shut down dirty. (usually results in a 0 byte file)

I've been using one intensely for the last month (~70 show in 22 days) and I really like it's 4 channels.  Watch out for cell phone disturbance.  People texting or receiving phone calls near you will create interference sounds on your tape.  :(
Mics: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14 cards, CA-11 omnis, CAFS, Naiant X-X omnis, AT853 cards (with 4.7k mod)
Pres: Naiant Bigbox, CA-9100, CA-UGLY, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: Sony M-10, Zoom H4n, Edirol R-09 (retired)
Archive
eTree
Dime
YouTube Channel

Offline Alex.Stone

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2010, 12:57:49 AM »

Taping is the best thing ever!

I have taped my first couple shows recently and i am so pleased. i was expecting it to be a fairly stressful endeavor with keeping track of my gear and setting levels and such, But i have had a super positive experience. I haven't got my CA-14s yet so I have been using the internal mics on the H4n, and i am genuinely surprised with how great they sound. https://public.me.com/alex.stone is a link to my 2nd recording experience at Sam Bush Band at the Mishawaka near Ft. Collins CO. Enjoy!

also thanks to the people who pointed me in the right direction, this site has been a great resource!

Offline Big Perm

• Trade Count: (67)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Rage, Rest, work a lot, Repeat
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2010, 11:37:01 AM »
congrats!!!  It only gets better from here ;D
a
Mics: Schoeps mk4v| mk41v | mk22 | mk8 & mk5 (m/s)
         Schoeps m222> nt222dc (x2)
         Schoeps cmc 1k (x2)
         Schoeps vst62iu (x2)
         Schoeps KCY 250/5 IG (x2) Schoeps KC 5g (x2)
         DPA 4015c
Pre’s: Sonosax SX-M2D2
         Aeta PSP-3
         E.A.A. PSP-2
Recorder: Sonosax sx-r4+, SD702, Sony m10

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2010, 09:35:06 PM »
congrats!!!  It only gets better from here ;D
a
x2.
You have got the bug.
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.125 seconds with 60 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com