Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mic upgrade recommendations (<$1k)  (Read 2230 times)

Offline AlphaQuam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Mic upgrade recommendations (<$1k)
« on: October 21, 2004, 09:25:34 PM »
I'm looking to upgrade my mics and was hoping I could get some informed opinions.  I currently have Rode NT5s and while they are decent I'm getting bored with them... it's time to upgrade.  I just feel I need a mic that offers more clarity and separation in the mids/highs, maybe a bit warmer/smoother.

I'm looking for sub-$1k mics (pair) that have switchable caps/patterns.  I'd like to keep it under that price including an extra set of caps.  I run into a UA-5 > JB3.  The UA-5 is only d-modded at the moment... but I'd like to w/p-mod it in the future (of course depending on what mics I purchase).  Would it be worthwhile to save a couple hundred on mics to go for the UA-5 mod?  Or do you think maxing out on mics is the key?  I'm cool with buying used.

Thanks for any help/suggestions...
Audix M1290HC > Edirol UA-5d > JB3

Offline jesse

• Taperssection Member
  • Listen to more Miles!
Re: Mic upgrade recommendations (<$1k)
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 09:51:39 PM »
lots of people diggin' the ADK TL's >wmod UA-5 including myself.  I keep telling myself that I'll eventually end up with some TL's, but my budget says try the studio projects C4's while I'm waiting.
SP C4's>UA-5>D100

Life is hard. I only have a vauge recollection of when it wasn't kicking my ass.

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2004, 09:59:02 PM »
ADK TL's or AKG 414's if you want LD's can be had sub 1k and give you multiple selectable patterns.   If you don't want LD's your choices become limited, you could probably find a full set akg 391's or get a set of MG, AKG, Neuman's w/ just one set of caps and save up for more patterns.
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline AlphaQuam

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2004, 11:04:52 PM »
Thanks for the help guys.  Not sure if I want to dive into the LD scene yet.  Any thoughts on MBHOs?  Such as KA200N/603s...
Audix M1290HC > Edirol UA-5d > JB3

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2004, 11:38:15 PM »
Thanks for the help guys.  Not sure if I want to dive into the LD scene yet.  Any thoughts on MBHOs?  Such as KA200N/603s...

have a few MBHO tapes i like, should be included in the list above, don't know the market on `em though.  They are also nice b/c they offer an active setup.
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2004, 12:27:21 AM »
fwiw, you wouldnt be able to add actives to the set of mbho's FS here without replacing the bodies with the 603a's

Offline muj

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Certifiable Nevaton Fluffer
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2004, 12:35:35 AM »
I'm looking to upgrade my mics and was hoping I could get some informed opinions.  I currently have Rode NT5s and while they are decent I'm getting bored with them... it's time to upgrade.  I just feel I need a mic that offers more clarity and separation in the mids/highs, maybe a bit warmer/smoother.

I'm looking for sub-$1k mics (pair) that have switchable caps/patterns.  I'd like to keep it under that price including an extra set of caps.  I run into a UA-5 > JB3.  The UA-5 is only d-modded at the moment... but I'd like to w/p-mod it in the future (of course depending on what mics I purchase).  Would it be worthwhile to save a couple hundred on mics to go for the UA-5 mod?  Or do you think maxing out on mics is the key?  I'm cool with buying used.

Thanks for any help/suggestions...

someone on r.a.p is selling a pair of t.h.e mics
http://tinyurl.com/55csw

right around your price range,and what you want as far as sound goes.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com