Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Clamp-aholics. The ultimate clamping and rigging team thread  (Read 123437 times)

Offline jadedphan

• gear owned:
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • at one with the cosmic rhythms
    • seeded recordings found on: http://bt.etree.org - search jadedphan
Re: Clamp-aholics. The ultimate clamping and rigging team thread
« Reply #315 on: March 20, 2018, 09:27:47 PM »
mics: schoeps mk4v, mk41v (matched), mk22 (matched) , mk41 (matched), mk22 (not part of matched pair)/MK8 (mid/side); neumann u89i, neumann km150

preamps: aeta psp3, schoeps vms02ib, vms5u x 2, sonosax sx-m2, sx-m2d2;

recorders: sound devices: mixpre 6ii, mixpre 10ii; sony: d7 & d8, tascam da-30mkii

mic bodies: schoeps cmc1L x 4,  neumann km100

actives/specialty cables: ak2Lsu x 14, aksu2ta3 x 6,  aksu2u x 8, 5m nbobs actives (schoeps version), kcy x 2, k5s (5pin stereo) x 10 @ 5m; custom 5 pin 9’, 16’, 12’ (x2), k5Lsu (x 6), nbobs actives (schoeps), custom km100 actives

Online vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #316 on: March 20, 2018, 09:55:10 PM »
Looks like a superclamp with a short extension pole. Can't tell which extension pole.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

jcable77

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #317 on: March 20, 2018, 10:08:28 PM »
Might be the Matthews “12 or 16” baby extension
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/33142-REG/Matthews_426016_Baby_Stand_Extension.html
And a chrome super clamp. Just guessing.

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #318 on: March 21, 2018, 12:26:38 AM »
Might be the Matthews “12 or 16” baby extension
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/33142-REG/Matthews_426016_Baby_Stand_Extension.html
And a chrome super clamp. Just guessing.

My photo. Bogen/Manfrotto  Superclamp. Black, not chrome, just a shitty phone pic. 

Extension bar is a Photek that I picked up used @ a local photo store for about 10 bucks 20+ years ago. Each end has a 5/8" brass stud that fits the Superclamp.

One end has a 1/4" thread and the other a 3/8" thread.  I use a: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/546490-REG/Manfrotto_014_38_014_38_Rapid_Adapter.html?sts=pi and 3/8">5/8" adapter to fit my shock mount...

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #319 on: March 23, 2018, 05:09:18 PM »
After doing some research in old threads, I'm thinking about getting a Matthews Matthellini clamp: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/161307-REG/Matthews_420110_Matthellini_Clamp_2.html

I'd envision using it primarily on the rail at Red Rocks or drink rails in clubs.  Does anyone have experience with a Matthellini (or Cardllini) they can share?

Also, will pretty much any of the Matthews/Manfrotto extension poles work with the Matthellini?
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #320 on: March 23, 2018, 05:36:23 PM »
After doing some research in old threads, I'm thinking about getting a Matthews Matthellini clamp: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/161307-REG/Matthews_420110_Matthellini_Clamp_2.html

I'd envision using it primarily on the rail at Red Rocks or drink rails in clubs.  Does anyone have experience with a Matthellini (or Cardllini) they can share?

Also, will pretty much any of the Matthews/Manfrotto extension poles work with the Matthellini?

That thing built like a tank. It has a 5/8" male stud so it will accommodate either of the extension poles you mention.

Only issue is it was primarily designed to clamp to round bars/tubes. Don't know if I'd trust it on a flat surface unless I was running just actives sans extension pole...

Offline heathen

« Reply #321 on: March 23, 2018, 05:40:48 PM »
Don't know if I'd trust it on a flat surface unless I was running just actives sans extension pole...

It looks pretty sturdy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdwtYJokkHc

But of course I'd like to hear anyone's first-hand experience with it.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #322 on: March 23, 2018, 05:53:41 PM »
Don't know if I'd trust it on a flat surface unless I was running just actives sans extension pole...

It looks pretty sturdy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdwtYJokkHc

But of course I'd like to hear anyone's first-hand experience with it.

I've used it plenty of times to clamp to rails and flat surfaces. Clamping to flat surfaces always made me a bit nervous. I prefer flat jaws, but that is personal preference...

Offline heathen

« Reply #323 on: March 23, 2018, 06:06:53 PM »
I've used it plenty of times to clamp to rails and flat surfaces. Clamping to flat surfaces always made me a bit nervous. I prefer flat jaws, but that is personal preference...

Oh sorry I didn't realize you'd used one.  So were you able to make it work on a flat surface with extension pole?  How sketchy was it?

mfrench

« Reply #324 on: March 23, 2018, 06:27:54 PM »
Do they have wedge inserts available?

Sorry I can't answer directly, shy of playing with one at a H.wood Rigging/Sound/Vid supply.
But I am left with this,...
I like the look of parallel jaws. Those square, parallel, flange edges to the jaws ought to give a better grip than the SuperClamps. Those parallel jaws are a huge advantage there.

Offline mnm207

• Taperssection Regular
    • website
« Reply #325 on: March 23, 2018, 09:50:21 PM »
I've got one of those Matthellini clamps. It'll clamp to a flat surface and hold a good bit of weight. A couple of mics on an extension arm shouldn't phase it. I'd be cautious  putting too much torque on it when clamped to a flat surface, for instance using that extension arm as a boom.  I use mine for rigging strobes.
// Sony ECM-MS5 | Naiant XX | LOM Usi & mikroUsi | Ambient ATM216 // Shure FP24 // Sound Devices Mixpre-3 | Sony PCM-D100 | Sony PCM-M10

Offline if_then_else

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #326 on: March 23, 2018, 11:38:20 PM »
I can also confirm that it works great with flat surfaces.

Clamped a couple of times to bars/counters, tables, poles, lighting rails, stage lip (of var. dimensions) and never had a problem.
I'd only worry if a surface (like a bar/counter) was **not** perfectly flat but cone-shaped. But, in such a situation,, some wedges won't help you, either.

Make sure to get a Manfrotto swivel adapter (or equivalent), too - unless you already own one.

Offline heathen

« Reply #327 on: April 23, 2018, 01:02:00 PM »
At a local venue one of the best spots to set up mics would be on a column that's nearly DFC and close to the stage, but setting up a stand there will not work because of the amount of traffic and people.  Some of us were talking about clamping to the column.  It's a rectangular column, I'd estimate 6" x 8".  Anyone have recommendations?

Offline if_then_else

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #328 on: April 23, 2018, 01:39:34 PM »
At a local venue one of the best spots to set up mics would be on a column that's nearly DFC and close to the stage, but setting up a stand there will not work because of the amount of traffic and people.  Some of us were talking about clamping to the column.  It's a rectangular column, I'd estimate 6" x 8".  Anyone have recommendations?

Matthellini center jaw clamp + Extendellini extension.
(The extension cannot be used with end jaw clamps.)

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #329 on: April 23, 2018, 01:49:54 PM »
Heathen, this is a medium sized wood clamp attached to this 8-10 inch square column; then you can clamp to the clamp with just about anything!
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.317 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com