Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New T amp....  (Read 29415 times)

Offline KenH

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: New T amp....
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010, 01:24:26 PM »
I figured that I'd revisit this thread as I'm somewhat interested in this little gem.

How do you guys think this little guy would fare driving a 4ohm load? (bookshelf speakers)
My (eBay purchased Topping  TP21 TA2021) T-Amp is rated for both 4-ohm and 8-ohm loads, with the higher wattage rating on a 4-ohm load.  Should work fine for bookshelf speakers.  Here's the spec: Output Power 2 x 25W @ 4ohm, 2 x 14W @ 8ohm
retired

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2010, 03:24:54 PM »
should be dynamite w/a 4ohm load.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2010, 04:40:34 PM »
Ordered another T-Amp today.  This will be my third, but this one is a T-Amp + USB DAC + Headphone amp.  It should fit in nicely into my Mac desktop playback system, and provide a lot of flexibility.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120541743715

I also just ordered a pair of the A-T ATH-M50 headphones to give those a go.  I'm assuming it'll be a very different set of cans compared to my Grado SR225's, but the open-back nature of the Grados and the sound leakage drives my wife a bit nuts at times.

On the T-amps:  I've got a cheap Lepai T-Amp (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290411886493) that had been in my background-listening living room set up.  But now I've moved it out to the new outdoor deck listening system.  I've got a nice Trends Audio TA-10.1 t-amp that had been in my Mac playback system, but will now move upstairs into the living room to make way for the latest t-amp for the office system.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2010, 05:01:35 PM »
T-liceous !

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2010, 10:25:25 PM »
This will be my third, but this one is a T-Amp + USB DAC + Headphone amp. 

How does that USB DAC feature work? The eBay link doesn't mention software.

I'm still using the Cambridge A500 you recommended (a few years back) as my DAW playback amp.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline KenH

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2010, 08:45:15 AM »
I'm amazed at how good the T-Amp sounds driving headphones.  Never heard headphones sound so good... :headphones:
retired

Offline Todd R

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2010, 11:13:01 AM »

I'll have to get back to you in 2-3 weeks, or whatever the delivery time is from Hong Kong. :)

I'm hoping it'll just work, but we'll see.  The down side is the USB chip they are using is only 16bit, so if I go that route my 24bit listening will just be truncating the extra bits.  Probably good enough for most of the listening I'll do off this system, but for critical listening I'll have to take the 1/8" out of my mac or better yet take the optical digital out of the mac into a separate DAC.  I used to have a SuperDAC inserted into this system, but took it out when I moved.  I may need to dig it up again.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2010, 12:24:25 PM »

I'll have to get back to you in 2-3 weeks, or whatever the delivery time is from Hong Kong. :)

I'm hoping it'll just work, but we'll see.  The down side is the USB chip they are using is only 16bit, so if I go that route my 24bit listening will just be truncating the extra bits.  Probably good enough for most of the listening I'll do off this system, but for critical listening I'll have to take the 1/8" out of my mac or better yet take the optical digital out of the mac into a separate DAC.  I used to have a SuperDAC inserted into this system, but took it out when I moved.  I may need to dig it up again.

This is what caused me to go with an Audio-gd FUN

http://www.audio-gd.com/enweb/pro/FUN/DAC-FUN.htm

I ordered it mon / tues. I am very much looking forward to playing with it

I need to get some new cans tho. I currently have the AKG K271's. They are ok and I have had them for a while. I am thinking about a set of grados or the AT's mentioned above
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline Todd R

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2010, 01:03:41 PM »
If you're thinking you want to go with Grados, I'm probably selling my low-hours SR225's.  As I said, WAF driving me towards the closed AT's.  I hardly ever use headphones other than my Shure canal phones for portable use, so it doesn't make much sense to keep both the AT's and the Grados.

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2010, 08:37:22 AM »
Ordered another T-Amp today.  This will be my third, but this one is a T-Amp + USB DAC + Headphone amp.  It should fit in nicely into my Mac desktop playback system, and provide a lot of flexibility.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120541743715

I also just ordered a pair of the A-T ATH-M50 headphones to give those a go.  I'm assuming it'll be a very different set of cans compared to my Grado SR225's, but the open-back nature of the Grados and the sound leakage drives my wife a bit nuts at times.

On the T-amps:  I've got a cheap Lepai T-Amp (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290411886493) that had been in my background-listening living room set up.  But now I've moved it out to the new outdoor deck listening system. I've got a nice Trends Audio TA-10.1 t-amp that had been in my Mac playback system, but will now move upstairs into the living room to make way for the latest t-amp for the office system.

I was looking for something simple for an outdoor setup and was wondering how one of these T-amp's would fare powering some outdoor mountable/hangable speakers.  I don't need anything *loud*..  just something that puts out enough and sounds decent.  I have a small area between my house and garage (about 60'x60'/patio etc) and some ambient tuneage would be nice.   
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline Todd R

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2010, 10:24:59 AM »
That Lepai T-amp would work fine.  I've been using mine out on the deck with some indoor/outdoor speakers and it plays plenty loud driven by an ipod and sounds good too.  I've even been doing some work out in the yard 25-30 yards away from the speakers and could hear them fine.  For under $30 shipped, you can't go wrong.

Offline Todd R

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2010, 10:28:42 AM »
This will be my third, but this one is a T-Amp + USB DAC + Headphone amp. 

Forgot about this thread.  That new T-amp/USB DAC/Headphone amp is great!  Sounds excellent, both as an amp for my Soliloquys and as a headphone amp for my new ATH-M50 cans.

As to the USB DAC -- plug and play with my iMac.  I didn't do anything, just connected it and it played.  I'm not sure how it works with PC systems, but wouldn't imagine it would be anything more than finding the right driver for it.

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2010, 11:01:26 AM »
I got one of these DTA-100 and can say it sounds great!  Have it feeding a pair of PSB Alpha B1 bookshelf speakers, and I'm amazed at the sound.  Great amp for the money.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2010, 12:55:11 AM »
damn this pre-amp is backordered until late november. It must be pretty popular.

Those who bought it have had sufficient playing time, how has it been and how has it treated you? What headphones have you used on it?

Recently I have been reading headphone reviews and its absolutely revolting how much a pair of headphones can cost. The Senn HD 800 (for example) are $1400.
For that much money, I'd rather buy some real nice speakers and amp.

throw some open air headphones I should check out in the sub $200 range.

Thanks!
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Neilyboy

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2010, 09:43:30 AM »
anyone snag this little t-amp? I am thinking about ordering one and a pair of polk monitor40 bookshelf's to be my pc listening rig.. anyone think this would be a good combo?

neil
Mic's: AKG C214's, Line Audio CM3, AT4041SP, AT853 (C, SC, O), AT943 (C, H)
Pre's: Sound Devices MixPre 2
Rec's: Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R-44, Tascam DR60D MKii, Tascam DR70D x 2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.111 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com