Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Demise of CD players in 2011???  (Read 10828 times)

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Breakfast
Re: Demise of CD players in 2011???
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2010, 11:09:50 AM »
Considering DAT was only officially retired this year and many of us haven't been using them for a long time I don't see CDs going anywhere anytime soon.

VHS still readily available etc etc. You can still buy brand new turntables,
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2010, 01:43:30 PM »
Considering DAT was only officially retired this year and many of us haven't been using them for a long time I don't see CDs going anywhere anytime soon.

Not quite the same - there are no DAT decks being made...nor have there been for sometime.

Sony discontinued support for DAT in 2005...So not sure about being "retired" this year...?

Once the current crop of DAT decks conks out...its over. Sony D7s are what - almost 20 years old?

DAT never had the level of acceptance in the mainstream as VHS or vinyl - so dont expect to see it hang around as long.

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2010, 02:52:54 PM »
Sorry to say - If you want the best transfer - you'll need to go back to your DAT masters and re-transfer them to computer. Otherwise you are archiving a 1st gen digital copy. Im sure DAT>PC is always the preferred linage.

It's taken me years to archive my DAT collection to CDR and I still have a good 1/3 of it left to do. I bought the HHb CDR 800 new in '98

At the time, you were doing the best you could do.  You have options here:  EAC the discs and let those be your new Masters, or re-transfer the DATs. 

Is there any consensus on re-importing DAT > HDD versus EAC master discs? I have a lot of discs that were tranfers from DAT > HHB-830 which I understand was a fine unit. Maybe I should start a different thread, but it was brought up here.

In my opinion, you would be fine just using EAC with the master discs you already made. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned something about a 1st gen digital copy and being better to go DAT>PC, which I disagree with completely unless you were making analog transfers from your DAT deck to your CD burner. If you were running coax between the decks, those CDRs are the same as if you had run the burner at the show running, exactly the same.

I take issue with some of the dramatic statements basically implying that all CDs and DVDs destined to go bad within a few years, which reminds me of the claims made back in the late '90s that all DAT tapes would become unplayable after about 10 years of storage. Sure, there have been many true stories of premature failure incidents with every type of medium to store recorded sound, analog tape, digital tape, optical media, hard discs, whatever. However, I believe that a collection of dozens, even hundreds of reports of various incidents of failures does not make a trend when stacked against the billions of hours of archived recordings that have not failed and the information is just as good today as ever.

I have been archiving DAT masters from my collection and so far, I have found even 18 year old DATs without a single pop, tick, or dropout. My collection has been properly stored, the tapes not overplayed, and rarely lent out to be copied by someone else on foreign equipment that could pass the old "digital VD" that used to be a risk lending out DATs. I usually made people copies on my own gear, instead of lending them the DAT masters.

I am an advocate of multiple backups, and also don't believe random predictions of what the future will look like. As a result, I back up all my raw wave files on both HDD and DVDRs, just so I am covered with both methods. One thing about a DVD is when it fails, it's one show, versus if a HDD craps out, it's every show on the drive. So, backups of HDDs are also very important, as has been stated.

As far as CD medium going away, players, etc. I don't see that. What I see is a move to universal players that will play any of the 5" optical disc formats, CD, DVD, and Blueray. Certainly 5" drives will continue to be supported for computers, even if consumer electronic makers stop making CD players. Just like DAT machines are still being serviced and kept going in studios across the country because of the massive amount of material on DAT, people still have CD collections, some very large. 5" optical discs will be around for a long time, even if they descend to a niche group of users, it will still be large enough a group to warrant continued support of the format. In the early '80s, it was common for "pundits" to claim that the LP would eventually cease to exist, and turntables relegated to glass display cases in museums. Well, obviously that did not happen, 30 years after CDs first hit the market, if anything we have seen a surge in interest in both releases on vinyl, and new models of hardware to play them. Even cassette is still supported, although now mostly through commercial/professional gear makers like Tascam and Marantz, but you can still buy blanks.

As far as CD, the largest single marketing segment in the US is still baby boomers, which means anyone 45 and older. I just deducting off the top of my head, but this segment of the population likely comprises more than 50% of the physical possession of all commercially produced CDs in existance. A 50 year old with a CD collection they started building in 1982 is not going to throw it out and replace it with something else. Sure, many in this segment have embraced ipods and other mp3 players, but they still buy CD box sets and new releases of bands that mean something to them with their statistically higher level of disposable income than the younger age demographics.

Clearly, the big difference in viewpoint about the future of CD can be divided between the age group that has never known a world without CD, and those from the age group that plainly recall the time when CDs and digital audio was introduced as a new format.
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2011, 08:57:25 AM »

I never liked the iPod thing because they were only MP-3

iPods aren't and never have been "only MP-3"

Also, it seems like the iPods all have a two second pause between songs

nope, not the case

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2011, 06:31:52 AM »
just like it always has been, the answer to any medium (be it vinyl, cassette, dat or whatever) is redundancy..   having a backup of something is truly the only way to go when the one you use fails.   this holds true for everything though as *everything* can and will fail at sometime (car, tv, computer, front door, jacket zipper etc) so why not have another one standing by in case of just that?   with digital media it's easier than ever..... 

while I do see the demise of the "cd" at some point it really does make sense.    especially when there comes a time when we can have a terrabyte ss thumbdrive at our disposal I see no need for anything else..
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline OldNeumanntapr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2011, 03:13:04 PM »

[/quote]
One thing about a DVD is when it fails, it's one show, versus if a HDD craps out, it's every show on the drive. So, backups of HDDs are also very important, as has been stated.

As far as CD medium going away, players, etc. I don't see that. What I see is a move to universal players that will play any of the 5" optical disc formats, CD, DVD, and Blueray. Certainly 5" drives will continue to be supported for computers, even if consumer electronic makers stop making CD players.

In the early '80s, it was common for "pundits" to claim that the LP would eventually cease to exist, and turntables relegated to glass display cases in museums. Well, obviously that did not happen, 30 years after CDs first hit the market, if anything we have seen a surge in interest in both releases on vinyl, and new models of hardware to play them.

As far as CD, the largest single marketing segment in the US is still baby boomers, which means anyone 45 and older. I just deducting off the top of my head, but this segment of the population likely comprises more than 50% of the physical possession of all commercially produced CDs in existance. A 50 year old with a CD collection they started building in 1982 is not going to throw it out and replace it with something else.

Clearly, the big difference in viewpoint about the future of CD can be divided between the age group that has never known a world without CD, and those from the age group that plainly recall the time when CDs and digital audio was introduced as a new format.

[/quote]

Good points. Thank you for your post. I agree with what you said about if a DVD fails it's only one show but if a HD crashes everything is lost on the drive. I remember well premonitions of turntables being regulated to the pages of history and that clearly has not happened. I still use mine and I know a lot of others do as well. Multi-format disc players sound like a good idea.

I clearly remember when the Compact Disc was first invented, as I was in high school at the time. Good point about the 'future of CD can be divided between the age group that plainly recall the time when CDs and digital audio was introduced as a new format.'

So true.

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2011, 04:32:38 PM »

Not quite the same - there are no DAT decks being made...nor have there been for sometime.

Sony discontinued support for DAT in 2005...So not sure about being "retired" this year...?

Once the current crop of DAT decks conks out...its over. Sony D7s are what - almost 20 years old?

DAT never had the level of acceptance in the mainstream as VHS or vinyl - so dont expect to see it hang around as long.

Sorry I thought I recalled seeing an article in the open forum this year saying that DATs were no longer being produced as of this year, and that it was officially discontinued as a product.

I was simply saying that if DAT lasted as long as it did that CDs should be around for a hell of a lot longer. a "no need to panic" type statement.
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com