Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: confused about portables  (Read 6732 times)

Offline OldNeumanntapr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
confused about portables
« on: March 24, 2011, 09:51:48 PM »
Greetings all. Please let me preface my quandary:

After 25 years of taping / trading live shows, I am feeling really confused with today's 'new' technology choices. After starting with cassettes, moving to DAT, and then CDR, I am once again faced with a format change. I was happy with CD, but I'm realizing that this format is another of the 'dying' breed of technology.

I have 1,500 live shows. Back in the DAT days I was recording live shows and trading, but I was never very keen on using the DAT recorders for casual playing of music, as they were very fragile and seemed to need constant service. CDR has its pros and cons, especially thinking in terms of long term disc storage.

I have been seriously considering transferring my collection to FLAC files, as this seems to be what most people are doing. I like to listen to my music at work, where I have been using a portable CD player and Grado iGi earbud headphones. The sound output of the portable CD player sucks, though it improved a lot with the Grado phones. It's too bad that high quality portable CD players haven't been made in some time. The portable CD players seem to be geared for children, and they are definitely not audiophile quality.

My question:

I need to find a high quality portable that will work with my iMac and play gapless FLACs. I have never owned an iPod because I can't stand MP-3 compression and I Really can't stand gaps between tracks. I've looked at the RockBox website and that seems to be one option, though it is not available for current iPod models (Classic). I looked online at the Cowan players, but they don't seem to work with Macs. I want something well made, but I don't want/need a lot of bells and whistles.

The few times that I've looked at an iPod, it seems that they are geared to play 'songs' rather than live shows. I can't stand iTunes on my Mac, as it wants to put all the versions of the same song together alphabetically. Is there a way, using the RockBox firmware, to select complete shows to play?

I don't really record live all that much anymore, though I would still like the option to do so, seeing how I still have my Neumann mics and Beyerdynamics preamp. DAT blanks are impossible to find now, even though my D8 and DA-P1 are still solid.

I have considered getting a portable HD recorder, like a Sony or Tascam, and just loading it up with Uncompressed shows to listen to at work. I know that it probably wouldn't hold  nearly as many shows (uncompressed) as a FLAC player would, but it would work I guess. I don't need to the ability to take Everything with me at all times.

All of the CDs that I have recorded (DAT->CDR transfer) with my HHb CDR 800 have no text files encoded on them. I would need to add that somehow, before loading the shows onto a portable, so that I would know what I was listening to. How do I go about doing that?

I know these are a lot of questions and I thank everyone in advance for your time.

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
Re: confused about portables
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 10:39:51 PM »
why not buy an ipod classic, and simply use the apple lossless format?
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 10:56:16 PM »
or an ipod touch and the flac player ap
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline OldNeumanntapr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 11:38:08 PM »
What would be the best way to go? What's the Apple lossless? If I started trading FLAC files would I have to do any extra conversion or would it recognize them?

Thanks

Offline OldNeumanntapr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 12:14:58 AM »
I tried to be as explicit as i could in my original post. Yes, I have an iMac and I have always had Macs and like them better than PCs.

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 01:31:46 AM »

There are some links and recommendations in this thread

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=141158.0

Personally I used a Rockboxed iRiver for portable playback for a long time. Plays flacs, wav and mp3s, so I was covered.

Now I just use my Droid phone and the andless app but I don't listen to music at work or on the go often.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 02:24:35 PM »
to rip your CD's, create FLACs, and tag the files on your Mac, all you need is xACT, created by a member here:
http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/14246/xact

there's lots of options for portable players, and i don't see why something wouldn't work with a Mac just to transfer the files...or if you're in front of your mac all day you can just download Cog to playback flac on your mac.
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline OldNeumanntapr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 03:16:45 PM »
Thank you for the advice. I would like a portable player for work. I only have the computer (Mac) at home.

Offline Tim

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 04:56:08 PM »
you can play gapless live shows via itunes and an ipod. just select the songs you want, go into "info" and select "gapless playback" under one of the menu options

you can sort your music in itunes by any of the categories you see on the top bar. sort by album and you won't have every version of the same song right next you each other

sorry no itunes in front of me at the moment but these are very easy issues to fix
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline OldNeumanntapr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 07:45:00 PM »
you can play gapless live shows via itunes and an ipod. just select the songs you want, go into "info" and select "gapless playback" under one of the menu options

you can sort your music in itunes by any of the categories you see on the top bar. sort by album and you won't have every version of the same song right next you each other

I didn't think iPods would play FLAC.  ???

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 08:20:12 PM »
Not the new ones.  There is an app for the iPod Touch that allows FLAC playback.  I have an iPod 5.5G with Rockbox installed (very easy), which allows for FLAC playback when needed.  The great part is, the original OS is still on the device and can be booted into either OS as you wish. 
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline OldNeumanntapr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 09:15:39 PM »
Is it 'gapless 'FLAC? There are so many things I need to figure out with all this. It's a far cry from when I used to take my D6 everywhere.

I've read about the Rockbox OS. That seems cool. Why isn't it available for the iPod models currently in production? How much does the Rockbox mod cost? I wouldn't care that both OS  are available, as I would never have a need for MP-3 playback.

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 10:09:32 PM »
Rockbox is freeware:  http://www.rockbox.org/

As for the newer iPod models, I don't think anyone has been able to crack the OS??
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline OldNeumanntapr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2011, 12:52:06 AM »
Rockbox is freeware:  http://www.rockbox.org/

As for the newer iPod models, I don't think anyone has been able to crack the OS??

Free huh? I like that. Too bad that they can't redo the OS on the newer ones.

Offline Tim

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2011, 01:45:10 PM »
Yes, both the FLAC app and the rockbox'd ipod play gapless FLAC.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.132 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com