Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: normalize stereo channels independently or not?  (Read 5006 times)

Offline weroflu

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
normalize stereo channels independently or not?
« on: October 20, 2013, 08:19:06 AM »
Two omni mics spaced equally over an upright piano. I always normalize  in audacity. It never occurred to me to try the option of normalizing stereo channels independently.

Aside from normalizing, I get some unexplained levels where the bass mic (left) will pick up more level on treble notes than the treble mic (right)

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: normalize stereo channels independently or not?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 01:01:33 PM »
I wouldn't, but my work flow is to set channel balance via volume before normalizing (and I don't want the downstream processing to disrupt the balance I set earlier).
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline sacchini

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 04:38:21 PM »
Normalizing works on peaks.
I prefere to balance channels by RMS and then to normalize.

Offline cd2go

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Strictly Slambovian
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 10:41:07 AM »
I wouldn't, but my work flow is to set channel balance via volume before normalizing (and I don't want the downstream processing to disrupt the balance I set earlier).

^^This^^

Before any editing/EQ, I balance L/R by ear over headphones to see what "sounds" balanced without even looking at the RMS numbers (which I find misleading especially with directional mics). Then I'll edit/process as needed and lastly leave the channels locked for peak normalizing.

-james

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 11:27:04 AM »
Don't forget that stereo separation is also determined by the arrival time differences between channels.

That is why it is sometimes very helpful to modify the time relationship between L/R. It is also why adjusting the amplitude alone may not change the balance much.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 11:36:13 AM »
Well covered.

The basic thing is this:
Normalizing as a linked channel pair will not change the balance between channels; normalizing each channel independantly can change, and in most cases will change the stereo level balance between the channels, depending on the amount level of difference between them. 

Threre are reasons for doing it each way.  But like others have mentioned, typically you will want to get a good balance by ear and then nomalize as a linked pair to retain that balance.

Keep in mind that there are different types of signal level normalization: normalization based on peak levels, and nomalization based on RMS levels.  The pair verses independant channel normalization statement about balance applies to both types.

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 08:10:15 PM »
I simply reduce any blatant peaks(+2db or more over the rest of the signal) and amplify both tracks together. In some rare cases I have then split them to mono and amplified one track by 1db or so but that's usually not necessary. Examples would be onstage or recording low pro where one mic might have a hotter signal than the other.

It's all subjective, do what sounds best to your ears. If you are like me you probably over analyze these things...
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com