Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How do I convert Left-Right channels back to Mid-Side?  (Read 2362 times)

Offline mysticeyes

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Regular
How do I convert Left-Right channels back to Mid-Side?
« on: November 12, 2013, 11:12:12 AM »
Is there a simple way to do this? I've been manually processing mid and side channels into left and right, using Audacity. Is there a plugin that can allow me to go the other way? I have enough (rudimentary) knowledge to work with Audacity, but I have no experience with other software. I'm just thinking about how I would process left and right back into mid-side, if I had to. I'm working with an AT4050st, which is a mid-side mic with built-in mid-side processing. Thanks to all who can help!

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: How do I convert Left-Right channels back to Mid-Side?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 12:58:14 PM »
Sum the left and right channels and the result is the Mid signal.
Invert polarity of the right channel and sum it with the normal polarity right left channel and the result is the Side signal.

Vogengo has a simple and no-cost M/S plugin tool which can encode, decode, or do both with an adjustment in between.  There are doubtless many others as well, I just know about that one.

[Edit to correct the typo above.  If you were to sum the inverted polarity right channel with normal polarity right channel as I mistakenly typed, they would cancel and you'd get nothing for the Side signal]
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 08:18:19 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline mysticeyes

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 06:57:05 PM »
Thanks for the help, Gutbucket. I'm going to do this manually.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 08:19:21 PM »
Just a heads up, fixed a typo above that is critical to this working correctly.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com