Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Minidisc Transfer To PC  (Read 7870 times)

Offline jamroom

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Minidisc Transfer To PC
« on: February 21, 2014, 08:51:43 AM »
Hi all

Looking to buy a late model MD with USB out so I can transfer an archive of MDs for a friend. Boxes-worth of discs to transfer, though at the moment, I have no idea of the disc format(s) - i.e. wav / atrac / sp / lp. Anything I should be doing / not doing? I have Sony SonicStage already, as I have a Sony HD Walkman.

Any help or advice will be much appreciated.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Re: Minidisc Transfer To PC
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 09:12:04 AM »
Having just completed a MD project for a friend, I can give some insight...

I used a stand-alone MD player with a TOSLINK output and connected that, via an ODL-276, to my Tascam's SPDIF input.  All the MDs transferred over at 16/44.  I don't know what the MD player does to the various formats of MD, but it output them all at 16/44.  The MD player w/ TOSLINK made it really easy to do, just like transferring DATs.  I just had to borrow an ODL (thanks ella!)

Ask around or search your local Craigslist...  You might be able to find a decent MD player with TOSLINK...   or, check to see if your MD player doesn't have one already...

I have no experience with Sony SonicStage, but I've heard it can be a PITA.

Good luck!

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline jamroom

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 09:20:26 AM »
Thanks for the reply Terry.

As I don't have any gear with optical in (Edirol R09 and Roland R05), I was going for either USB transfer, which is hopefully the easiest (and quickest, given how many discs I will have to transfer), or perhaps get a hi-fi player with digital coax out, as I have an M-Audio 24/96 card with digital coax input.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 10:03:57 AM »
Yeah, what Terry describes really is the path of least resistance as using a USB-capable drive reduces. I used a a cheap Sony unit off of ebay to do mine, the MD500 I think. If you're bent on using usb then you'll need a Net-MD unit and the most recent version of SonicStage and a healthy dose of luck (as that process works best with recordings that were made on the Net-MD units).
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline jamroom

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 10:47:58 AM »
I was going to buy a net-md unit (the MZ-NH700 is the cheapest USB verison), but if there could be problems with non net-md discs, then I would be better buying a hi-fi player with digi coax out for my soundcard. I can at least punt the player on ebay once the project is over.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 11:32:49 AM »
I'd do extensive research on how compatible they are with older discs. I only know that there have been occasional issues. I think those are with really old ATRAC version discs and LP2/LP4 modes, but if you're interested, I suggest hunting around. I only know of one other person here who used one and I'm not sure they are active anymore here. I'd have to hunt around for their account name. Based out of Ohio I think.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline pontiacb

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 10:59:16 AM »
I did mine a few years ago using a second hand standalone md deck off of eBay (£20) which had an optical out and went straight into a second hand iriver h120 (£40) which has an optical input.  It was real time transfer, but dead easy to do.  Then just processed the wavs on the PC. 

Edit BTW, providing the md deck still works (been in the loft for a few years) I'd happily help transfer them as above if it gets too much or you get stuck, I'm in the midlands, but wouldn't cost much to post a few mds and I could Dropbox wavs and post mds back.  Plenty of spare time and I quite enjoy doing stuff like this!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 11:10:07 AM by pontiacb »

Offline jamroom

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 02:09:32 PM »
I did mine a few years ago using a second hand standalone md deck off of eBay (£20) which had an optical out and went straight into a second hand iriver h120 (£40) which has an optical input.  It was real time transfer, but dead easy to do.  Then just processed the wavs on the PC. 

Edit BTW, providing the md deck still works (been in the loft for a few years) I'd happily help transfer them as above if it gets too much or you get stuck, I'm in the midlands, but wouldn't cost much to post a few mds and I could Dropbox wavs and post mds back.  Plenty of spare time and I quite enjoy doing stuff like this!

Thanks for the offer. I'll see what's on the discs and let you know, if you want to help out. I'll still need to get a player, there are boxes of them...

TommyAudio

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 04:08:21 PM »

When I started recording I used 3 different MD recorders and a Sony ECM-MS907 stereo mic, then upgraded (wow) to an AT Pro24 stereo mic. I still have all of the gear too. I also bought a Sony MXD-D3, which I still also have. It's a rare piece of gear, and has digital out and more. I used it to make compilations on MD's as well as edit my MD's.  Here's the manual link.

http://www.minidisc.org/sony_mxdd3_manual.pdf

I'd be more than happy to help you out if need be. Just let me know and I'll fire up the gear to make sure it still works. It should, but it's been a while. It sounds like a very good project.

Offline jamroom

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 04:14:20 AM »
Thanks for the offer, but I'm guessing that you are on the "wrong" side of the pond.

Last question before I buy a player.

I realise I could save a lot of cash by buying a cheap md recorder and toslink to coax converter in order to connect to my pc. Anyone have any comment on putting one of these in the chain?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Optical-TOS-SPDIF-TOSlink-to-Coax-Coaxial-Converter-/141195903784?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item20dfee8328
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Mountain-Optical-TOSlink-Converter/dp/B001U7ERU6

Offline TSNéa

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 06:55:09 AM »

(...) It's a rare piece of gear, and has digital out and more. I used it to make compilations on MD's as well as edit my MD's.  Here's the manual link.

It looks like it has a digital optical IN, if I read correctly page 38...  :-[

runonce

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 06:58:49 AM »
Thanks for the offer, but I'm guessing that you are on the "wrong" side of the pond.

Last question before I buy a player.

I realise I could save a lot of cash by buying a cheap md recorder and toslink to coax converter in order to connect to my pc. Anyone have any comment on putting one of these in the chain?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Optical-TOS-SPDIF-TOSlink-to-Coax-Coaxial-Converter-/141195903784?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item20dfee8328
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Mountain-Optical-TOSlink-Converter/dp/B001U7ERU6

The accepted converter devices around here have been the HOSA 276 and the Midiman/M-Audio CO2...these were very common 10 years ago in taper circles...not so much now...should be some spares.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 07:06:43 AM by runonce »

runonce

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2014, 07:12:40 AM »

(...) It's a rare piece of gear, and has digital out and more. I used it to make compilations on MD's as well as edit my MD's.  Here's the manual link.

It looks like it has a digital optical IN, if I read correctly page 38...  :-[

Looks that way...the rare bird.

Most, if not all, of the standalone Sony Digital products have both RCA and TOSlink I/O....

Offline jamroom

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2014, 07:34:31 AM »
Most of the portable Sony recorders with digital out, have optical out only. My soundcard is coax in. Unless I buy a full size MD unit, I'll need a converter for any cheap portable Sony recorders, but unless the cheap converter option I linked to is good to go, then a full size player it will need to be. This is for one project only and it's not worth paying the prices for the HOSA 276 and the Midiman/M-Audio CO2 units.

OK, after a bit more research, only a couple of early portable recorders / players have optical out, unless modded. Looks like a full size unit then!

The only Sony MD players available in the UK with digital coax out are the MDS-JB920/930/940 series, a couple of MDS-JE700 series units, and some of the high-end units, as far as I can tell with research.

Thanks for all the advice so far.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 08:22:37 AM by jamroom »

Offline hoserama

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2014, 11:12:57 AM »
What you *really* need is the very last Sony MD model released, the Sony RH1. It will do a direct transfer to the computer via USB, transfer the raw ATRAC data, and then you can convert it to PCM audio. Full support of LP2/LP4 mode. Super easy to do.

I was able to get through several hundred minidiscs over course of a few weeks just doing it in spare time at a desk job. Set and forget.

Check out the link
http://www.minidisc.org/part_Sony_MZ-RH1.html
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 11:14:34 AM by hoserama »
Audio: Countryman B3 + AT853(hypers/cards/subcards) + SBD feeds
Wireless Receivers: Lots of those
Antennas: Lots of those
Cables: Lots of those
Recorders: TE TX-6, Zoom L20R, Zoom F8, (3) Tascam 680, (3) Tascam 2D, Zoom H6, and a graveyard of irivers/nomads/minidiscs.

Offline jamroom

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2014, 01:39:58 PM »
Good idea, but at a price!  :o

Offline hoserama

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2014, 10:20:48 PM »
True. I remember I got one off ebay for a decent price and was worth it to knock out the hundreds of transfers. PM me and maybe we can work out a loaner idea. Mine is currently collecting dust but don't really want to sell it.
Audio: Countryman B3 + AT853(hypers/cards/subcards) + SBD feeds
Wireless Receivers: Lots of those
Antennas: Lots of those
Cables: Lots of those
Recorders: TE TX-6, Zoom L20R, Zoom F8, (3) Tascam 680, (3) Tascam 2D, Zoom H6, and a graveyard of irivers/nomads/minidiscs.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2014, 11:29:21 PM »
This is the player I used:  MDS-JE510  http://www.minidisc.org/part_Sony_MDS-JE510+S38.html

Its not mine, but I can see if my buddy is interesting in selling it to you if you want...  He probably has no need for it now that I have transferred all of his MDs to FLAC...

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline jamroom

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2014, 02:09:46 AM »
I'd like to thank both of you for your interest, especially hoserama for the real community gesture, but I'm in the UK. All I'm waiting on now if for my friend to see if he can source the original MD player his friend had, otherwise it looks like an MDS-JB940 for me (LP and coax out)

Out of interest, there are a couple of MZ-RH1s available in the UK at the moment. On is "new" and the seller is looking for £500. Another is on fleabay and is at £100 with four days to go. I think it would be unlikely not to make at least £300.

Offline Wayne Kisbee

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2014, 07:35:20 AM »
Sorry for butting in here jamroom, but does anybody have any idea how I can transfer HImd recordings from my Sony MZ-RH10 himd recorder to my laptop using Windows 7.

I used Sony's Sonic Stage on my old PC, but obviously that is no longer available.

Cheers

Wayne
Roland R-05 recorder with SP-CMC-8 (AT943) mics and SP-SPSB-7 battery module

Offline jamroom

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2014, 01:31:24 PM »
Hi Wayne,

As I have an old Sony hd Walkman, I still have SonicStage on my Windows 7 PC. Pretty sure you can find it easily enough on the web.

Offline Wayne Kisbee

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2014, 02:44:29 AM »
Hi Wayne,

As I have an old Sony hd Walkman, I still have SonicStage on my Windows 7 PC. Pretty sure you can find it easily enough on the web.

I've looked everywhere but everytime I come across a page that offers a download, it then says not available. I will keep looking though.

Thanks mate.

Offline TSNéa

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2014, 03:56:19 AM »

Offline Wayne Kisbee

• Taperssection Regular

Offline TSNéa

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2014, 07:37:52 PM »
 ;)

Offline jamroom

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2014, 05:00:40 AM »
Well...finally got started. The gear I'm using is:

Master MD->MDS-JE770->optical out->Midiman CO2 (yeah, found one cheap)->digi coax out->M-Audio 24/96 soundcard->Adobe Audition 2

I was a right laugh trying to get the settings right. I haven't had this much pc "fun" for eight years, or more. Took about an hour to work out that the input and output bit rates had to be the same in windows as well as audition. Then the "release ASIO driver" box was ticked, which meant that clicking an another app stopped the recording. I can see why using a MZ-RH1 would be a good idea. I just don't have the funds for one at the moment.

Disappointingly, a lot of the recordings are LP2, but since most of them are the only source, this doesn't really bother me too much.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.14 seconds with 54 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com